What's new

Any date yet for June Criterion sale at B&N? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
It's that time of year again and I can't wait! Especially for The Man Who Knew Too Much and Monsieur Verdoux.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Barnes and Noble 50% Criterion Sale is slated to start 7/9 according to early leaked reports from employees.
Historically it's been a 3 week sale.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think it was last year that there was a couple hour overlap with their prior buy-2-get-one sale (due to the time-zone differences). Which ended up being making it a 66% off sale. They probably won't let that happen again.

However, if you can't wait until July, most of the titles are still 50% off at Amazon.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
I think it was last year that there was a couple hour overlap with their prior buy-2-get-one sale (due to the time-zone differences). Which ended up being making it a 66% off sale. They probably won't let that happen again.

However, if you can't wait until July, most of the titles are still 50% off at Amazon.
Many of the Amazon's and BBY have already returned to normal prices. With BN sale, you also can get the 10% instore member discounts, and often 15-20% extra with coupons when they are available so getting the usual $40 for less than 15 each is fairly predictable and with a little luck $13-14 isn't unheard of. If you stocked up on the 40% off Save-A-Lot Gift cards a couple weeks ago then the deals amplify tremendously -- I'm psyched about potentially getting the $100 Shoah set for a net $22

I'd say very unlikely that the overlap sale will happen again -- it was blocked the 3 previous years so last year was a fluke. There is also some different language in the B2G1 deal this year that states the sale will end Midnight Eastern time this year instead of the standard 2:59am EDT. Not that I won't be staying awake late that night just in case.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
It appears the 50% sale will indeed be happening tomorrow. The 50% sale is being advertised online but as of yet the prices have not gone down. I'm guessing they will wait till 3 AM Eastern to avoid the doubling up on sales that happened last year. :(

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
rob kilbride said:
It appears the 50% sale will indeed be happening tomorrow. The 50% sale is being advertised online but as of yet the prices have not gone down. I'm guessing they will wait till 3 AM Eastern to avoid the doubling up on sales that happened last year. :(
Even better (for them), when they said the B2G1 was ending at 11:59pm Eastern they kidding -- they had it timed to the minute it seems and now a little delay in changing pricing online though that didn't really happen until closer to 1am most sales anyway.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I do this buying in-store and am delighted just to hear the day has arrived. Taking my first pass at it tomorrow.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got a question. I'm printing out the usual $5 off $50 and $8 off, etc., from the usual web page, and I'm reading this:

"This coupon may be used once...for each new, valid and current Barnes & Noble Membership purchased between April 22, 2013 and June 26, 2013. Offer is not valid for renewal Memberships..."

I recently tried to use one of these (during that time period, as it happens) and the person in the store told me I couldn't use it because it was only for use when buying/renewing a membership. But I've always used these coupons, at any time of year. Is this something new? Is that person interpreting the wording correctly? If so, then these coupons are suddenly no good to me at all -- until October when my membership comes up for renewal.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's always the way the coupons were. We've been getting away with using them.i believe there are some hat have August dates out ther now.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
Got a question. I'm printing out the usual $5 off $50 and $8 off, etc., from the usual web page, and I'm reading this:

"This coupon may be used once...for each new, valid and current Barnes & Noble Membership purchased between April 22, 2013 and June 26, 2013. Offer is not valid for renewal Memberships..."

I recently tried to use one of these (during that time period, as it happens) and the person in the store told me I couldn't use it because it was only for use when buying/renewing a membership. But I've always used these coupons, at any time of year. Is this something new? Is that person interpreting the wording correctly? If so, then these coupons are suddenly no good to me at all -- until October when my membership comes up for renewal.
Technically the clerk is correct and it's supposed to a one time use coupon per account, it's just that most BN have never enforced or even checked
any of the fine print.

Try a different store or wait for a different clerk. It's possible the Managers had a sit down with all teh Media folks and read the coupons and told
them to enforce the letter of the law.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, raise my rent! :eek:Okay then, I'm delighted to report success with two of the coupons just now, at a store where there's never been the slightest resistance at taking and stacking 'em. Whew. Too bad the 15% and 20% ones seem to have disappeared from that site, because I was always able to throw those in as well. I do get the emailed ones, but the most recent was only good through the 7th -- and I think those are tracked by membership number for one-time use.So, thank you, gents. Now, back to the fun.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Had a great day! -- and looking forward to enjoying a couple more between now and the 29th.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
Well, raise my rent! :eek:Okay then, I'm delighted to report success with two of the coupons just now, at a store where there's never been the slightest resistance at taking and stacking 'em. Whew.Too bad the 15% and 20% ones seem to have disappeared from that site, because I was always able to throw those in as well. I do get the emailed ones, but the most recent was only good through the 7th -- and I think those are tracked by membership number for one-time use.So, thank you, gents. Now, back to the fun.

BN hasn't had any 15/20% coupons generic coupons to use since Christmas. Since then all the coupons other than the 'New Member"
coupons have been single use coupons though it's not by account. I've use many of the email'ed typed on the same account and
even at the same purchase, but you have to have an Unique Code for each purchase. Let's just say BN doesn't block coupons by IP
address and leave at that -- email addresses are cheap with Gmail being dot.blind.

If anyone ever needs a few non-member (anybody can use) coupons just leave me a private message and I'll be happy to share
when they are availalbe. Since there was a coupon just out this weekend, I'm doubtful they'll be one for the upcoming week though
you never know until Thursday for sure. I'm rather hopeful that they'll be a coupon available for the 2nd or at least the 3rd weekend.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I think this has been discussed before, and I haven't been paying attention. That changes now, and thanks for the info!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Hit 4 stores today, got the coupon stack to work at 3 of them For about $200 I got:Carl Dreyer Box SetMaitresseAu Hasard BalthazarKokoImamura Box Setvon Sternberg Box SetMarketa LazarovaShoahLife of Oharu

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've picked up the Horror Came to Shochiko Eclipse, On the Waterfront, Pina, Badlands and Life of Oharu so far.

It's so difficult to not go crazy and spend more. I've such a long list of ones I want...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks