• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#281 of 336 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,231 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 06:18 PM

Has anybody received their replacement disc with the missing Sammy Davis Jr. medley added back?  

I just called yesterday and was told the disc is still on back order, but is expected in another 1-3 weeks.

#282 of 336 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for the info

#283 of 336 OFFLINE   Seanhtf

Seanhtf

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 06:31 AM

Found another edited episode, one I haven't seen mentioned. It's in the Lily Tomlin/Steve Lawrence episode, during the "Caged Dames" sketch. The edit occurs after 'Spike' (Carol), who is behind bars, shouts out, "I want to live!" She goes on to quote lyrics from an old song titled "I Want to Live Till I Die": 'I want to laugh, I want to cry, I want to live! live! live till I die!' Her ditzy cellmate (Vicki) shouts out, "One more time!" Spike turns on her and bellows, "Will you shut up!" Most of the bit, after Spike's initial "I want to live" through "Will you shut up" is missing from the Time-Life DVD. I checked the Time-Life version of the sketch against the "Carol Burnett and Friends" syndicated version and spotted this minor, albeit still annoying, cut. I have to say that I think Time-Life really bungled this, big-time. Had they been honest and upfront about some episodes being "musically edited," I would have been disappointed, but would at least have felt that I was making my decision to purchase this set (and I went for the 50-episode box) based on knowledge of what I would actually be getting. After all, "musically edited" has become an annoying fact of life for those of us who purchase DVDs. As it is, I can't help but feel like I was simply lied to, since advertising for the set made a point of telling us that the episodes were COMPLETE! UNCUT! UNEDITED! Well, a quarter of them aren't. And some of the cuts, such as the one described above, might be very minor ones. I probably wouldn't have spotted it except that I remembered the gag from seeing the sketch in syndication. But it IS a cut. The show isn't complete. We should never have been told it was. It will be a cold day in hell before Time-Life sees any more of my money. Either they screwed up in a major way, or they just out-and-out lied. Either way, they lose in the long run. I don't do business with liars, and I don't do business with incompetents.

#284 of 336 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:28 AM

Found another edited episode, one I haven't seen mentioned. It's in the Lily Tomlin/Steve Lawrence episode, during the "Caged Dames" sketch. The edit occurs after 'Spike' (Carol), who is behind bars, shouts out, "I want to live!" She goes on to quote lyrics from an old song titled "I Want to Live Till I Die": 'I want to laugh, I want to cry, I want to live! live! live till I die!' Her ditzy cellmate (Vicki) shouts out, "One more time!" Spike turns on her and bellows, "Will you shut up!" Most of the bit, after Spike's initial "I want to live" through "Will you shut up" is missing from the Time-Life DVD. I checked the Time-Life version of the sketch against the "Carol Burnett and Friends" syndicated version and spotted this minor, albeit still annoying, cut. I have to say that I think Time-Life really bungled this, big-time. Had they been honest and upfront about some episodes being "musically edited," I would have been disappointed, but would at least have felt that I was making my decision to purchase this set (and I went for the 50-episode box) based on knowledge of what I would actually be getting. After all, "musically edited" has become an annoying fact of life for those of us who purchase DVDs. As it is, I can't help but feel like I was simply lied to, since advertising for the set made a point of telling us that the episodes were COMPLETE! UNCUT! UNEDITED! Well, a quarter of them aren't. And some of the cuts, such as the one described above, might be very minor ones. I probably wouldn't have spotted it except that I remembered the gag from seeing the sketch in syndication. But it IS a cut. The show isn't complete. We should never have been told it was. It will be a cold day in hell before Time-Life sees any more of my money. Either they screwed up in a major way, or they just out-and-out lied. Either way, they lose in the long run. I don't do business with liars, and I don't do business with incompetents.

Overall I completely agree with you, but for the record, John from TL mentioned the problem securing the rights to this song a little while back. Doesn't excuse the company's executive decisions, but just wanted to point out he mentioned it. When I heard of this cut, I asked the others here how many episodes this made that were cut and didn't get an actual count. I think It's been established that each of the three sets in the big box, including the ones they sell at retail, are indeed cut somewhere, yet Time Life continues to run those commercials using phrases like "All of..." and other words that mean or imply completeness.

#285 of 336 OFFLINE   Keith_inBR

Keith_inBR

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 03:06 PM

I just called yesterday and was told the disc is still on back order, but is expected in another 1-3 weeks.

I just received my replacement disc in the mail. I'm watching the finale as i type. The episode now runs 51 minutes.

#286 of 336 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 07:08 AM

I also got my replacement disc yesterday and want to say thanks to the folks I dealt with at Time-Life (especially John!) Everyone was very helpful and kept me "in the loop" on its delivery.

#287 of 336 OFFLINE   nobajoba

nobajoba

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:46 AM

I received a set for Christmas from my mother. It's not the whole complete collection but it has 2 discs of Carol's Favorites with bonus features and the special disc of Bonus Features. I think I'll be getting 2 or 3 more dvds in the next couple of months. It was a nice surprise!

#288 of 336 OFFLINE   Ancsa Csermak

Ancsa Csermak

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 07:45 AM

about the copyrights of the songs. I saw a clip with Jim Nabors that was released on VHS a long time ago, it was Shipwrecked in Tahiti but I do not see on this DVD list.

#289 of 336 OFFLINE   MONSTOYS

MONSTOYS

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hope somone may be of help.

I purchased the mega 22 disc set from TIME/LIFE and I have the 31 Discs from COLUMBIA...

But, I heard that TIME/LIFe has eleased episodes NOT in the complete dvd collection?

I think with Anthony Newley/Bernadette Peters?

Is there a complete EPISODE list and on which dvd set to find them from TIME/LIFE?

There are COSTCO sets and Walmart sets and.....

I have spent hours tryin to piece together info and so confusing...

Any help would be amazing!

#290 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 09 2013 - 08:58 AM

I purchased the mega 22 disc set from TIME/LIFE and I have the 31 Discs from COLUMBIA...

But, I heard that TIME/LIFe has eleased episodes NOT in the complete dvd collection?

Is there a complete EPISODE list and on which dvd set to find them from TIME/LIFE?

Yes, here is a list I compiled at the time.  It shows all released eps, which volume/set # you can find them on, and which episodes are edited on the TL set (denoted by **).  You can click on the image to enlarge it.

e24db355_CAROL_BURNETT_SHOW_ON_DVD_2-page-001.jpg

Edited by JohnMor, September 09 2013 - 09:01 AM.

• derosa likes this

#291 of 336 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 11:54 AM

Does anyone know when "The Carol Burnett Show" Christmas DVD (by TimeLife/StarVista) is going to be released (Date).  Tvshowsondvd.com announce there was going to be a release this year (with detail information on what was on the DVD, including the show with Alan Alda doing a "Family" Christmas sketch).  Just wondering if anyone knew WHEN it was coming out?  There hasn't been any more news on this one since this post on tvshowondvd.com:

http://www.tvshowson...ith-Carol/18519

#292 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 12:08 PM

Does anyone know when "The Carol Burnett Show" Christmas DVD (by TimeLife/StarVista) is going to be released (Date).  Tvshowsondvd.com announce there was going to be a release this year (with detail information on what was on the DVD, including the show with Alan Alda doing a "Family" Christmas sketch).  Just wondering if anyone knew WHEN it was coming out?  There hasn't been any more news on this one since this post on tvshowondvd.com:

http://www.tvshowson...ith-Carol/18519

I've been wondering the same thing.  Maybe it's dead in the water, either for this year or permanently.  I hope not.  Maybe they're having difficulties with the material from the earlier seasons.  Hopefully, we'll still get it in time for Christmas this year.

#293 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 02:05 PM

I believe this is the title you guys have been inquiring about and if so, it will be released on October 1, 2013, despite what Amazon is saying as that date they posted is on a Monday and as wel all know, most releases occur on a Tuesday and here is the link to that title...

http://www.amazon.co...rnett christmas

Hoping that helps.

#294 of 336 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks rmw650! However, I think the tvshowsondvd.com post said the date amazon put on their website was incorrect (it was premature, before the official announcement). In any case, at least there is a nice picture of what the DVD looks like (so it most likely going to happen this year.....I'm just still questioning the date?).  Hopefully it is October 1, 2013!

:)

#295 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts

Posted September 09 2013 - 03:55 PM

What's also weird is that Star Vista (Time Life) does not list this release at all on their website.  I just hope it's coming sooner, rather than later, if it's coming at all.  I'm always up for more Carol Burnett Show on dvd.

Edited by JohnMor, September 09 2013 - 03:56 PM.

• mrz7 likes this

#296 of 336 OFFLINE   texboil

texboil

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yes, here is a list I compiled at the time.  It shows all released eps, which volume/set # you can find them on, and which episodes are edited on the TL set (denoted by **).  You can click on the image to enlarge it.

attachicon.gife24db355_CAROL_BURNETT_SHOW_ON_DVD_2-page-001.jpg

Yes, but this list does not include the exclusives offered by Costco and Walmart, right? That was sort of the point of the inquiry.

#297 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes, but this list does not include the exclusives offered by Costco and Walmart, right? That was sort of the point of the inquiry.

Yes, the list is older and I have not been able to confirm for myself that there are indeed episodes exclusive to Costco and Walmart sets.  Sorry.  Anyone is free to add those releases to the list if they have the time. 

#298 of 336 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thanks rmw650! However, I think the tvshowsondvd.com post said the date amazon put on their website was incorrect (it was premature, before the official announcement). In any case, at least there is a nice picture of what the DVD looks like (so it most likely going to happen this year.....I'm just still questioning the date?).  Hopefully it is October 1, 2013!

:)

The date on Amazon's site is wrong as that is reflected as a Monday release and usually DVDs in the States come out on a Tuesday, but that is the Christmas one from her show, not to be confused with her Gary Moore Show Christmas shows that was released a year ago. I believe Walmart.com is selling them as well and the date is still 10/1/2013 for release.

#299 of 336 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 06:02 PM

The date on Amazon's site is wrong as that is reflected as a Monday release and usually DVDs in the States come out on a Tuesday, but that is the Christmas one from her show, not to be confused with her Gary Moore Show Christmas shows that was released a year ago. I believe Walmart.com is selling them as well and the date is still 10/1/2013 for release.

Well, just as I thought....The Carol Burnett Christmas DVD is not going to be released on 9/30 (as indicated on Amazon) and it's not going to be released on 10/1 either. Technically this title has not been officially announced by Star Vista, and it looks as though it will be several weeks after the date listed on Amazon. Tvshowsondvd.com confirms this:

http://www.tvshowson...ith-Carol/18970

#300 of 336 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:36 PM

Okay, after researching this a bit more, I have updated my schedule of released episodes.  TL has released a total of 4 episodes in retailer exclusive sets that were NOT a part of the mega boxset.  One of these 4 episodes has never been on dvd before at all, while the other 3 had been released on the Columbia House dvds.

The COSTCO exclusive set had 2 bonus episodes, which included the previously unreleased episode #604, with Anthony Newley and Bernadette Peters, which is now the earliest episode available on dvd.  The other episode is #819, which was on CH set #22.

The WALMART exclusive set contained the new to TL episodes #905 (Cher) and #916 (Rita Moreno), which were on the CH discs #24 and #27, respectively.

These are the only new content to date, as far as I can tell.  All other retail sets are merely different permutations of the previously released TL content, including extras that were on the TL bonus discs.

CAROL BURNETT SHOW ON DVD.jpg

Edited by JohnMor, September 17 2013 - 03:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users