What's new

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ah ha! I missed this new press release. If it's one of two "additional pieces of bonus material" then that definitely sounds like 2 books. I liked it better before I was confused! LOL.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
Ah ha!  I missed this new press release.  If it's one of two "additional pieces of bonus material" then that definitely sounds like 2 books. I liked it better before I was confused! LOL.
The confusion begins by announcing the 20 page book as a new addition - as if it were never mentioned or known before, but a book has been pictured and mentioned from the start.... the confusion continues with different references to what sounds like maybe two different features called Let's Bump up the Lights and Let's Bring Up the Lights, one of which is listed as having three parts including one named One More Time, which is also given as the title of the book... Also Carol's Guest Book sounds like it might be a book or a video.
Now let's remember all the nice things I've said about this product and not accuse me of damning the product or the company. What I think is, there's only one book, there's probably just one video named bump up the lights, and someone in the pipeline maybe got confused and passed the confusion along. This is just bad copywriting resulting in a not very clear and potentially confusing press release. It's not the end of the world or a dark conspiracy, it's just some details that could have been handled better and could be fixed. I'm still buying the box, which I'm sure is filled with fantastic stuff, bracing myself for the financial hit and can't wait to have it. I also still don't see any advantage in withholding full disclosure of its contents, as most videos we see list their full contents before they come out. We're lucky to have a TL spokesman looking in on this now, and I'm sure he'll eventually answer some questions as best he can.
Meanwhile anyone want to share memories of moments on the show that were so much fun you talked about them for days after?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I always loved Tim Conway's old man skits and my favorite one is when he's a fire fighter trying to save Harvey Korman. :)

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
Hi again -- so I sat with Producer of show and he's agreed it's okay to post episodes -- he's working on it and has a word doc he wants to proof - a couple of days I'd guess at longest. He warned there is in fact overlap with other set, but also mentioned good eps and bonus material. Details soon. Plans for future too.
Scott --- Other news: Family "Sorry" sketch IS on the collection.
Attached a couple of PDFs of the book [ATTACHMENT=337]MemoryBook_Family-6-27-12.pdf (1,445k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT] [ATTACHMENT=338]MemoryBook_Wiggins-6-27-12.pdf (1,944k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
rmw650 said:
John, welcome to the HTF boards and just wondering if you guys will have any details on the other versions of this show coming out, as I'm particularly interested in the 18 episode 6-DVD set coming out on 9/25/2012? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I think I caught our product guys a little off guard with the detail of questions -- working on them all (actually sent a long email to main guy). I'll post when I get response.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Thanks for contributing, John !
I wish more industry folks could spend the time informing the fans here,
this really is a great bunch with lots of knowledge, this place is a great resource!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
John, welcome and thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to come here and post this info. I cannot wait to get my set. I've had my order in since the get-go and I'm so excited. It really looks fantastic!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks so much for the previews, John. My set is pre-ordered and I'm looking forward to it even more now.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Scott --- Other news: Family "Sorry" sketch IS on the collection.
Thank you John!!! I am one happy camper!!! Thank you for sharing the .pdf files too!!! I am definitely looking forward to this set!!! Thanks again! :rock:

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
timelife jb said:
Hi again -- so I sat with Producer of show and he's agreed it's okay to post episodes -- he's working on it and has a word doc he wants to proof - a couple of days I'd guess at longest. He warned there is in fact overlap with other set, but also mentioned good eps and bonus material. Details soon. Plans for future too.
Overlap with what other set, John? You mean previously released sets or the smaller new sets? I knew there would have to be much duplication of old previous release, but figured if we get the big box we would already have everything in the new smaller sets, no?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
timelife jb said:
I think I caught our product guys a little off guard with the detail of questions -- working on them all (actually sent a long email to main guy). I'll post when I get response.
Before the product guys get too surprised, please remind them how much strong interest there is in this show, and that's why they're being caught off guard!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
timelife jb said:
And lastly -- I changed the product page's meta description just so you can be sure I'm real -- also David Lambert could vouch.
Go to product page http://timelife.com/products/the-carol-burnett-show-the-ultimate-collection, view source, and look for meta name="description" .... in the source code. You'll see a (htf) slug at the end now. :D
I know you're real cause I know how you got here... Will your team be interested in taking requests for future episodes and features?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321236/time-life-press-release-the-carol-burnett-show-the-ultimate-collection/30#post_3951366
Overlap with what other set, John? You mean previously released sets or the smaller new sets? I knew there would have to be much duplication of old previous release, but figured if we get the big box we would already have everything in the new smaller sets, no?

I have a hunch, and John can and will correct me if I'm wrong, but since each "season" (set) has 6 discs in it, that the 6-disc set will be "Season" 1: Carol's Favorites and the 18-disc set will be all 3 "seasons" (sets) (i.e. all episodes form the boxset, but minus the 4 bonus discs).

UPDATE: I was completely wrong in my memory. I now remember the smaller sets are 6 and 18 episodes each, not discs.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I haven't read this entire thread so I hope someone else has addressed it, but it is deceptive advertising to use the word "season" the way it is used, giving the impression to someone who only glances at the page that the first four seasons are part of the content. If unintentional, it should be fixed immediately. If intentional, as Carol's singing buddy Jim Nabors has been known to say, "Shame, shame, shame."

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Carabimero said:
I haven't read this entire thread so I hope someone else has addressed it, but it is deceptive advertising to use the word "season" the way it is used, giving the impression to someone who only glances at the page that the first four seasons are part of the content. If unintentional, it should be fixed immediately. If intentional, as Carol's singing buddy Jim Nabors has been known to say, "Shame, shame, shame."
Yeah I rattled enough cages over that one. John explained it for us. They just revamped their website and the show templates had the word Season but they're working it out.

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
JohnMor said:
John, welcome and thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to come here and post this info.  I cannot wait to get my set.  I've had my order in since the get-go and I'm so excited.  It really looks fantastic! 
Thx!!
FanCollector said:
Thanks so much for the previews, John. My set is pre-ordered and I'm looking forward to it even more now.
Thx!!
mrz7 said:
Thank you John!!! I am one happy camper!!! Thank you for sharing the .pdf files too!!! I am definitely looking forward to this set!!! Thanks again! :rock:
Ditto!
NY2LA said:
Overlap with the existing Guthy/CH set, unfortunately. The smaller sets eventually to be released will be breakdowns of bigger set. Whatever bonus VAM is on the discs on the big will stay intact on the small, though I'm not sure yet if they plan to release the bonus discs set by itself.
NY2LA said:
I know you're real cause I know how you got here... Will your team be interested in taking requests for future episodes and features?
Can't hurt!
JohnMor said:
I have a hunch, and John can and will correct me if I'm wrong, but since each "season" (set) has 6 discs in it, that the 6-disc set will be "Season" 1: Carol's Favorites and the 18-disc set will be all 3 "seasons" (sets) (i.e. all episodes form the boxset, but minus the 4 bonus discs).  
Will confirm.
Carabimero said:
We agree it's not cool.
We went through a full planning, did interviews with customers and non-customers, designed the site to get people to the product as easily as possible, and gave them the key things they wanted which was easy ordering and a look inside the discs - full song lists with samples and video episodes. And it worked for every product until we put up Carol. The look on our faces was basically --> ygtbfkm.
The fix requests are in to give us the option to call the disc groupings "Seasons", "Volumes" or "Discs" or other. The two main things we're fixing, because we have a mini-army of Power Ranger fans checking status on Power Rangers set too, are Track My Orders (to include anybody who ordered pre-redesign or on the phone) and video on site. We may get that Seasons fix slipped in too as we work those others through. It caused a lot of angst -- for the exact reason you mention -- that it's not clear. 100%, we're not trying to slip anything past anybody. Fix should be in very soon, at least this week upcoming.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/321236/time-life-press-release-the-carol-burnett-show-the-ultimate-collection/30#post_3951418

Ugh! It was too late for me to be posting last night. I now remember that the smaller sets are 6 and 18 episodes, not discs. Now if I could remember where I left my brain...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnMor said:
Ugh! It was too late for me to be posting last night. I now remember that the smaller sets are 6 and 18 episodes, not discs.  Now if I could remember where I left my brain...
An easy mistake considering the volume of info we're looking at. Coolest thing is how much enthusiasm you have for the show and the product and i agree with you 100% on that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.