What's new

Warner Bros Centenary for Tv releases (1 Viewer)

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Whilst the movie 4K UHD and Blu-ray boxset collections and individual releases have been announced still no news on the tv front under

"Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release a series of celebratory film and TV bundles on digital, Blu-ray and DVD, including... complete TV series collections available for the first time, and “Best of” TV compilations from the most beloved WBTV franchises."

The studio has released a five-minute "sizzle reel" tribute to their 100 years of storytelling on screen and it features footage from many of their classic movies and a few television shows but mainly "Friends", "E.R.", Arrowverse, Linda Carter "Wonder Woman".

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yeah, sadly, I'm not suspecting much of interest to me personally to come from this "100 Years of Warner Bros." celebration. Guessing it will most likely just be repackagings of their more modern and most popular titles. No Colt .45 or Mr. Novak season 2 is in the offing, I'd wager.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yeah, sadly, I'm not suspecting much of interest to me personally to come from this "100 Years of Warner Bros." celebration. Guessing it will most likely just be repackagings of their more modern and most popular titles. No Colt .45 or Mr. Novak season 2 is in the offing, I'd wager.

And very likely the more modern Warner Bros. comedies, like Friends for instance.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Wendy & Me could be a possibility from Warner archive because they have videotape transfers on hand, or could let's say MPI could take a stab at it, licensing from Warners!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
What a bummer.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
No chance for some vintage MGM TV shows, National Velvet, The Islanders, Father Of The Bride, and The Travels Of Jamie Mc Pheeters, to name a few!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
No chance for some vintage MGM TV shows, National Velvet, The Islanders, Father Of The Bride, and The Travels Of Jamie Mc Pheeters, to name a few!
Father of the Bride and The Islanders they never even ran on TNT. At least the other 2 shows they did.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
SO far its a BIG bust - Thankfully Mr F has given us 11 great releases by mid March 2023 not impressed with WBHE

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Forget about Temple Houston, Wendy &Me, No Time For Sergeants the TV series, and Touche Turtle!
Psst, There's a YT video on Concentration T of C From 9/13/1963, and the last spot has a promo for Temple Houston and Dr. Kildare and how to order an NBC Showtime book about that 1963-64 season. Perchance to dream about TH on DVD or streaming!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Given that WB has worked so hard on hi-def restorations of the original Dallas, that one seemed a no-brainer for a Blu-ray release. Alas, it doesn't even rate a clip on the sizzler reel, which pretty much says its not a part of their celebration.

Curiously, however, Gone With The Wind is a part of the sizzler but failed to materialize in 4K on the 'Award Winners' box set being marketed this year. Ditto for Driving Miss Daisy and Chariots of Fire. Weird choices being made at WB for their 100th.
Very weird indeed.

As for TV in hi-def: Warner ought to have included Dallas, and hints something was being done to their other magnificent soaps - Falcon Crest and Knots Landing, to say nothing of the miniseries: The Thorn Birds and North & South! Also, should have been some movement on The Dukes of Hazzard, Perfect Strangers and Head of the Class in hi-def.

But no - nothing. Too many references in this sizzler to Friends which has already enjoyed a Blu-ray release and re-issue for some years.

Given that it is MGM's 100th next year, I really don't get WB packaging obvious MGM product in with their own celebration. Just saying.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But no - nothing. Too many references in this sizzler to Friends which has already enjoyed a Blu-ray release and re-issue for some years.

Indeed-- why is Friends such a big thing that Warner Bros. feels the need to release it again on Blu, it already having been released that way, both as singles and as an all-in-one?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Indeed-- why is Friends such a big thing that Warner Bros. feels the need to release it again on Blu, it already having been released that way, both as singles and as an all-in-one?
Because it is ridiculously popular with today's audiences. It plays endlessly and there's a "Friends Experience" that's been doing great business in New York City, even during the scarier point of the pandemic (my wife dragged me to it). It's gonna make more purchase money than most of the shows we watch.

Heck, classic Star Trek has had at least 4 separate blu ray releases. All simple repackaging with only the 50th anniversary release having anything new added (the animated series and the movies). The menus and bonus features, even the ads for the 2009 movie, are the same. Unlike Star Trek, Friends was super successful in its original run and unlike a number of successful shows of its era, it retains its popularity. Seinfeld, Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond were just as big but none of them are experiencing the same afterlife. Seinfeld comes closest.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Because it is ridiculously popular with today's audiences. It plays endlessly and there's a "Friends Experience" that's been doing great business in New York City, even during the scarier point of the pandemic (my wife dragged me to it). It's gonna make more purchase money than most of the shows we watch.

Heck, classic Star Trek has had at least 4 separate blu ray releases. All simple repackaging with only the 50th anniversary release having anything new added (the animated series and the movies). The menus and bonus features, even the ads for the 2009 movie, are the same. Unlike Star Trek, Friends was super successful in its original run and unlike a number of successful shows of its era, it retains its popularity. Seinfeld, Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond were just as big but none of them are experiencing the same afterlife. Seinfeld comes closest.
It's also a little bit of the chicken and the egg theory too. Warner Bros. has aggressively marketed Friends ever since it 'left' the airwaves in its original run. It's never been out of syndication - unlike some of the others you mentioned - allowing for newer generations to rediscover it.

Warner's knockout punch of syndication, cable and stream exposure, and the availability of it on DVD and Blu-ray, means it's never entirely out of circulation and whatever your format du jour, it's available for your viewing entertainment. It also has a perennial 'young' cast. So, that's another selling feature to a younger generation.

If the WB had allowed Friends to quietly fade into obscurity, without the various aforementioned platforms of exposure, would it still be having such endlessly revivable popularity, or merely enter the annals as a quaintly remembered touchstone of the nineties? This, we can never know, because you can't go back to that well.

But I think it's fairly certain to suggest that what Hollywood wishes to remain buried, quite often stays buried as the elder generations who grew up with that product, get old, die and fail to pass along their memories of the good ole days to a younger generation for their own reconsideration.

At present, I'm mentoring a small group of 'kids' - ages, 16-21 (20 members) who have never seen a movie or TV show that isn't more than 10 years old. Some of them have never even seen a Disney animated movie from Walt's era!!!

So far, I've exposed them to screenings of Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Dirty Dancing, The Godfather, Singin' in the Rain, My Fair Lady, Sleeping Beauty, I Love Trouble, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Pretty Woman, Gigi, Ben-Hur, Goldfinger, JFK, Mildred Pierce, The Great Gatsby (1974), While You Were Sleeping, The Spy Who Loved Me. We've also had a TV section to our studies in which I showed episodes from Bewitched, I Love Lucy, the original Magnum P.I. and MacGyver, Cheers, Frasier, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Murder She Wrote, The Thorn Birds, North and South, The Dukes of Hazzard, Dynasty, and, Dallas.

Of this lot, I've managed to 'convert' 6 to Clark Gable fans, 11 to Audrey Hepburn fans, 9 to Sean Connery and Roger Moore Bond fans, and all 20 who want to watch more Walt Disney classics. I also have 4 currently binge-watching Cheers - and loving it - and 3 really digging into Poirot and Murder She Wrote, and 1 each enjoying made-for-TV miniseries, watching Dynasty and Dallas from scratch, and, absolutely loving The Dukes of Hazzard.

Exposure is crucial to getting young people interested in programming outside of their current sphere of influence. I guess Field of Dreams hit it on the nose: if you build it, they will come. To paraphrase, 'if you show them, they will want to watch!'

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So my hope for a Complete Series Collection would be The FBI, an iconic show highlighted in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and almost as challenging to buy in individual releases as Gunsmoke.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
So my hope for a Complete Series Collection would be The FBI, an iconic show highlighted in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and almost as challenging to buy in individual releases as Gunsmoke.

Probably for one main reason: because it was from Warner Archive (just a guess).

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
I'd love to see more of Hanna Barbera's shows on DVD/Blu-ray. The Rough and Ready Show, Huckleberry Hound Show, Quickdraw Mcgraw Show, Touche Turtle, and Fang Face are all some classic television I'd love to see get released!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks