Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#1 of 336 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,828 posts

Posted June 04 2012 - 02:46 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
TIME LIFE UNVEILS DETAILS FOR THE 22-DVD MEGA-SET
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:
THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION

OVER TWELVE HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE EXCLUSIVE NEW INTERVIEWS WITH BETTY WHITE, CARL REINER, JERRY LEWIS, JANE LYNCH, AMY POEHLER AND MANY OTHERS

Deluxe Collector’s Set Features A Replica Curtain From The Show Opening, And Includes An Exclusive 24-Page Memory Book.

50-Episode Collection—With Each Episode Hand-Picked By Carol Burnett -- Now Available For Pre-Order At
WWW.CAROLONDVD.COM

FAIRFAX, VA – JUNE 1, 2012 – The DVD collectors set that fans of classic TV have been waiting for is finally coming out as Time Life will now start taking pre-orders for THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION. The 22-DVD set contains 50 episodes from the award-winning and influential TV series, featuring the funniest and most beloved characters and sketches, including:

• Went with the Wind
  • Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins
  • As the Stomach Turns
  • Carol & Sis
  • The Family
  • Nora Desmond
  • The Oldest Man
  • The Hollow Hero
  • Kitchen Commercials

Everybody wanted to be a guest on The Carol Burnett Show, and featured on the Ultimate Collection DVD set are the funniest and most talented people in the business, including: Betty White, Carl Reiner, Steve Martin, Lily Tomlin, Joan Rivers, Bernadette Peters, Sammy Davis Jr., Alan Alda, Dick Van Dyke, Shirley MacLaine, Rock Hudson, Vincent Price, Phil Silvers, Joel Grey, The Smothers Brothers, Stiller & Meara, Tony Randall and many others. 

In addition to the classic sketch the Ultimate Collection also boasts over 400 musical performances, including many tributes to the musical theatre and movies Carol grew up with.

The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection is host to over twelve robust hours of exclusive bonus features, including:

• Three episodes from The Garry Moore Show where Carol got her start, including the “Supergirl” episode, where Carol did her Tarzan yell, for the first time on television.
  • Rare sketches from the first five seasons of The Carol Burnett Show, not seen anywhere in over 40 years.   Included are guest appearances by Lucille Ball, Jerry Lewis, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, plus one of the most beloved sketches in the history of the show-- “The Dentist,” with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway.
  • A raucous 100-minute Cast Reunion with Carol, Vicki Lawrence, Tim Conway and Lyle Waggoner.
Exclusive featurettes on The Ultimate Collection include:

• “I Want to Push That Button...”—The History of The Carol Burnett Show

• Leading Lady--Carol as a Television Pioneer

• “Bring Up the Lights” – Carol’s Q&As

• Focus on “The Family” 

• “Ahhhh, Mrs. Ha-Wiggins?”—As in “Tudball and Wiggins”

• Starlet, Mildred, and More – A Celebration of the Movie Parodies 

• Next Stop, Broadway – About the "Mini-musicals" 

• Breaking Up Is Hard…Not to Do---The Ensemble Chemistry and Famous “break-ups” on The Carol Burnett Show

• “Where Do You Get Your Ideas?”---A Tribute to the Writers on The Carol Burnett Show
  • Gags and Gowns---A Tribute to Designer Bob Mackie
All together, Time Life interviewed over twenty people as part of the Bonus Feature production—including guests from the show (Betty White, Carl Reiner, Jerry Lewis, Ken Berry, Rita Moreno, Steve Lawrence, Lainie Kazan and Joel Grey); writers (Kenny Solms, Gail Parent, Ken and Mitzi Welch); designer Bob Mackie; and current performers influenced by Carol (Ellen DeGeneres, Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler).  Complete interviews of all cast-members, crew, guests and fans will be included in the bonus features of The Ultimate Collection.

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW debuted on CBS in 1967 and ran for 11 years, receiving 25 Emmy Awards five Golden Globes, and 12 People’s Choice Awards, making it one of the most honored shows in television history. TIME Magazine named THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW one of the “100 Best Television Shows of all Time” and Carol Burnett has been honored with more People’s Choice Awards than any other actress.

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION is now available for pre-order at www.CarolOnDVD.com

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 336 Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 04 2012 - 03:48 AM

For that price it should be the whole series, certainly more than just 50 best of's. I'm really disappointed.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#3 of 336 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,064 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 04 2012 - 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tory 

For that price it should be the whole series, certainly more than just 50 best of's. I'm really disappointed.

Well, to each his own.  For $9.09 a disc, or $3.99 per uncut hour-long episode, NOT even counting all the bonus material, I think it's extremely well-priced. I actually expected this to be a bit more.  Very happy.  My pre-order is in!  

#4 of 336 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 04 2012 - 06:37 AM

It would be great to have a detailed disk contents list. I still would like a parodies only set.

#5 of 336 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,408 posts

Posted June 04 2012 - 06:55 AM

Music rights are expensive. I wonder if the Garry Moore Shows will be complete or just feature Carol. Time Life has had coupons for discounts up to 20% or 25% off in the past. Hopefully they will again.

#6 of 336 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 05 2012 - 03:02 AM

No idea if you're familiar with past Time-Life sets, but if you are, you'd know that all their big "gift" sets (like Six Million Dollar Man last year) have almost always been at the $200 price point, or higher, so it's not unexpected. As others said, I figured it'd be more (around $250 or so). You can bet there'll be plenty of TV advertising before Christmas on this one. As desirable as this set sounds, I certainly won't be looking at it seriously until I find out how many of the 50 episodes are overlapped with the previous 31-volume Columbia House collection. If there's only some overlap, I'll probably get it. If there's a lot of overlap (say, half the episodes or more), then I certainly won't be buying unless it ends up at the sort of clearance-level prices that some of T-L's sets get to once they've been out a long time. I'm a bit surprised that they are including some sketches from seasons 1-5. Guess we should be thankful they were at least able to licence those for use, if complete "early" shows were out of the picture. If this set sells well enough, then maybe we can hold out hope for some sort of "early years" follow-up release out in the future.

#7 of 336 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 04:43 AM

No idea if you're familiar with past Time-Life sets, but if you are, you'd know that all their big "gift" sets (like Six Million Dollar Man last year) have almost always been at the $200 price point, or higher, so it's not unexpected. As others said, I figured it'd be more (around $250 or so)

Well, the SM$M set is complete. And it's 100 episodes, plus the movies and lots of bonus material. I think $200 is in the high range, mostly because I think fans either want a less expensive set (perhaps with 40 episodes for $100) or they'd pay more for everything. These high priced incomplete sets seem to run counter to the logic expressed by fans on this site everyday.

#8 of 336 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,408 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 05:31 AM

I am sure if they did something like the syndicated Carol and Friends which was just the non musical sketches they could release a set with many more episodes. People just don't like or want to accept that it cost a lot to include musical performances which is one of the reasons why variety shows from the 50's and 60's were rarely if ever syndicated. If you want the complete shows you have to pay for it. On these boards it has come up many times would you pay more for shows without music replacements? People say yes I want it as originally broadcast until they see the cost. With a variety show its not just the cost of the music rights, its also payments to musicians, dancers, and all the behind the scenes people. Some of these shows are 40 years old. Hopefully the musical performances and the musical sketches hold up. On a related topic I would love to see a DVD release of the Fred Astaire TV specials from the 50's and early 60's. They were restore and shown on the Disney Channel back in the day. It is a shame they were never released on DVD. Remember there are also going to be smaller sets of the Carol Burnett show sold at retail including Amazon. A single disc, a two disc, and a six disk set. The single disk will have 3 complete shows with a $12.99 list price. They were listed on Amazon but then taken down per TVshowonDVD. I don't think it has been said but I would guess the smaller sets will include material from the Ultimate set . Kind of the best of the best. http://www.tvshowson...VD-Update/17002

#9 of 336 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 07:03 AM

As desirable as this set sounds, I certainly won't be looking at it seriously until I find out how many of the 50 episodes are overlapped with the previous 31-volume Columbia House collection. If there's only some overlap, I'll probably get it. If there's a lot of overlap (say, half the episodes or more), then I certainly won't be buying unless it ends up at the sort of clearance-level prices that some of T-L's sets get to once they've been out a long time.

This is how I feel too. I have the 31 Columbia House DVDs so I need to see a list of episodes for this new set before I buy it.

#10 of 336 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 07:06 AM

If you want the complete shows you have to pay for it. On these boards it has come up many times would you pay more for shows without music replacements? People say yes I want it as originally broadcast until they see the cost. Remember there are also going to be smaller sets of the Carol Burnett show sold at retail including Amazon. A single disc, a two disc, and a six disk set. The single disk will have 3 complete shows with a $12.99 list price. They were listed on Amazon but then taken down per TVshowonDVD. I don't think it has been said but I would guess the smaller sets will include material from the Ultimate set . Kind of the best of the best. http://www.tvshowson...VD-Update/17002

For me personally, I still might not buy the 50 episode set not because of the price, but because of the fact it's episodes not of my choosing. I would much rather pay more money for a multi volume set that would eventually complete the series. I'd rather be buying episodes that are working towards owning all of them, than buying another random set every few years as the rights change. If i'm going to invest more than a few dollars in a series, I just want to know I'm buying the definitive set. That's the key word for me, and why I jumped on SM$M and other sets like that, that I won't ever replace, and won't ever be 'improved'.

#11 of 336 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 05 2012 - 07:07 AM

Well, the SM$M set is complete. And it's 100 episodes, plus the movies and lots of bonus material. I think $200 is in the high range, mostly because I think fans either want a less expensive set (perhaps with 40 episodes for $100) or they'd pay more for everything. These high priced incomplete sets seem to run counter to the logic expressed by fans on this site everyday.

Well, a complete set of Carol Burnett Shows would be far more than 100 episodes, though (278, to be exact). Add to that fact that complete episodes from seasons 1-5 cannot be cleared at the moment (or certainly, not as easily/cheaply as the later ones) and the already mentioned facts of music royalties/payments that have to be paid (which is not the case on shows like $6mil), then Time-Life are doing the best they can with the options before them. I don't think too many people on here would have the spare cash to spend on even a set of the complete seasons 6-11 (144 episodes), as that would probably cost $500-600. I think T-L have (wisely) decided to keep the price point from getting too high. I'm sure they want to keep it at a level where more people would be tempted to buy or give as a gift. I'm also sure more people would rather spend, say, $199 on three separate sets spaced out over the course of three years than be faced with an up-front cost of up to $600 all at once. I doubt their core audience is "money is no object collectors", though I'm sure they're aware of collectors' concerns (which is probably why they opted for a "complete episodes with music intact" rather than an "and Friends" set of the syndicated sketches-only episodes. Maybe there'll be a follow-up if this is successful enough. Even without the first five seasons, there's enough episodes for three big mega sets.

#12 of 336 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 05 2012 - 09:45 AM

Maybe there'll be a follow-up if this is successful enough. Even without the first five seasons, there's enough episodes for three big mega sets.

No doubt that this will be successful, everyone loves Carol Burnett. With that said, Time Life would be a fool not to release more as well as taking over the rest of Mama's Family, maybe then we will finally see the show as it was meant to be seen, complete and uncut.

#13 of 336 Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,168 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 05 2012 - 11:18 AM

I am going to wait a year or two and try and get this on sale. If it was complete, I'd break the bank, but as is, I'll wait for a sale and then be happy to have it.

#14 of 336 Albert71292

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 04:00 AM

I'm going to order this. All I have in my collection is 15 of the Columbia House VHS tapes, which I ordered before the CH DVD version was released. There will be some repeat episodes I'm sure, but the DVD set picture quality will be a HUGE improvement over what I have now!

#15 of 336 Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 04:49 AM

It's a shame it isn't the complete series, but early kudos to Time-Life for what appears to be an appropriately-packaged set. This is how sensible all large sets should be when it comes to striking a balance between economy and disc protection.

#16 of 336 Ben Phillips

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 06:22 AM

It would be great to have a detailed disk contents list.

I agree. For $200, it doesn't seem like too much to ask to know which fifty episodes we're getting.

Maybe there'll be a follow-up if this is successful enough.

I certainly hope so, although the marketing angle that this set has been assembled to include all of Carol's favorite material might make it a bit tricky. ("The Carol Burnett Show Ultimate Collection 2: Fifty Episodes Carol Liked Less Than the Last Fifty"?) Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a second "ultimate" release, I hope there is one, and there will certainly be enough excellent material left to make one happen. It just doesn't seem like it's something they're necessarily planning on.
-Ben Phillips

#17 of 336 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 06 2012 - 01:49 PM

I agree. For $200, it doesn't seem like too much to ask to know which fifty episodes we're getting.

Hopefully, they'll put those details out closer to release. If not, I guess we'll have to wait for the reviews.

I certainly hope so, although the marketing angle that this set has been assembled to include all of Carol's favorite material might make it a bit tricky. ("The Carol Burnett Show Ultimate Collection 2: Fifty Episodes Carol Liked Less Than the Last Fifty"?) Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a second "ultimate" release, I hope there is one, and there will certainly be enough excellent material left to make one happen. It just doesn't seem like it's something they're necessarily planning on.

If it's very successful, I could see them releasing something. If not another "mega" set, perhaps some smaller-sized "themed" sets, like what's being released at retail?

#18 of 336 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted June 07 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'd like to see the cover art for the other collections of this show, as I'm just interested in the 18 episiode version of the DVD

#19 of 336 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 07 2012 - 04:17 PM

Doesthat release mention anything about full and unedited episodes in this set?

facebook.com/whotony

#20 of 336 KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 266 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted June 10 2012 - 03:35 AM

Here is link for a DVD set of Carol Burnett specials, including Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall. Has anyone heard of this DVD company? Hopefully this will be a legit quality release... http://www.amazon.co...98&sr=8-1-spell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users