What's new

Hey guys can you help? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Alec
Hello everyone, this is my first post here on hometheaterforum.com and I know NOTHING about home theater audio . . . can you give me all the names of the prestigious brands that make home theater products so that I can research them all? I know about some . . . B&W, Klipsh etc.

Real Name
Alec
I am on head-fi so I know a little bit about headphones and headphone amps but I know absolutely nothing about home theater audio. I don't care for head-fi anymore and here's why http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html . . . read the whole story. I will still use head-fi because I think it still can be semi-reliable however.

Real Name
Alec
This sucks, I hate starting to conduct research on an area in audio where I know little or nothing about . . . it is a very daunting/intimidating task. There are SOO many brands and so many products under those brands that I have to look at and look at reviews for all over the internet.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Alec, welcome to HTF!
I think you'll find fans of all sorts of audio equipment here, including Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. Hopefully someone will chime in with some opinions...I have Denon and Yamaha in my house, and like them both (although the LED display on the Yammy is wonky after 13 years). The Denon, their flagship 5803 from several years ago, is rock solid.
It would help to know your budget for equipment. Do you need speakers, too? If so, how much do you want to spend on them?
Good luck!

Real Name
Alec
Hello and thank you Steve . . . I don't have a budget right now because I'm not buying anything currently . . . I just want to do some research on speakers so that if I ever do decide to buy some I will know what I want if you know what I mean. I want to get my research done ahead of time so that I don't need to do a bunch of research when it comes time for me to buy some good speakers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speakers cost between $10 each and $100,000 each. There are thousands of options in between those two price ranges. At least narrow down the budget a little and maybe the size you are limited to.

Real Name
Alec
I said above that I want prestigious speaker brands . . . so that means brands like B&W, Klipsch, JBL etc. Tell me the audiophile brands.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I like my JBL's, but I would not call them prestigious.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Klipsch makes everything from cheap PC speakers to classic speakers but in my opinion, not prestigious. Same with JBL. Now, some of the B&W models are. Same with other brands that have different lines at different price points. Grab a copy Absolute Sound from your local book store and check out the advertisements.
I know guys here get tire of me posting this, but these were the best speakers I've ever heard - http://egglestonworks.com/ . I had a chance to tour the factory and listen to a pair of the Savoy speakers driven by Boulder monoblocks. The wires connecting the equipment cost more than my entire setup.

Real Name
Alec
Robert_J said:
The wires connecting the equipment cost more than my entire setup.
I don't believe in expensive cables . . . I believe that most people could not hear a difference between cheapo cables and expensive cables in a blind test but I don't want to open up a big argument about expensive cables so to each their own I guess.
EDIT: This is a big reason why I don't believe in expensive cables: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/05/subjective-vs-objective-debate.html

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've had a set of Klipsch for over 11 years now and they sound amazing.
I bought a set of RF-3's fronts and a center, and a few months bought the matching surounds.
I have never been thrilled with the center speaker but the fronts and the surrounds are still pumping out the sounds.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think it matters if you are looking for music, movies or both. I happen to like Atlantic Technology speakers. Speakers are tough. A hundred people will give you a hundred different answers as to what the best speaker is. I would add KEF, Revell, Martin Logan, Snell and Atlantic Technology to the shopping list too.

Real Name
Alec
Thank you that is much appreciated Adam. And if I had home theater speakers I would be listening to music along with watching movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks