-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hey guys can you help?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on hometheaterforum.com and I know NOTHING about home theater audio . . . can you give me all the names of the prestigious brands that make home theater products so that I can research them all? I know about some . . . B&W, Klipsh etc.

#2 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 06 2012 - 11:48 AM

I am on head-fi so I know a little bit about headphones and headphone amps but I know absolutely nothing about home theater audio. I don't care for head-fi anymore and here's why http://nwavguy.blogs...at-head-fi.html . . . read the whole story. I will still use head-fi because I think it still can be semi-reliable however.

#3 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 06:46 AM

This sucks, I hate starting to conduct research on an area in audio where I know little or nothing about . . . it is a very daunting/intimidating task. There are SOO many brands and so many products under those brands that I have to look at and look at reviews for all over the internet.

#4 of 14 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 07 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi Alec, welcome to HTF! I think you'll find fans of all sorts of audio equipment here, including Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. Hopefully someone will chime in with some opinions...I have Denon and Yamaha in my house, and like them both (although the LED display on the Yammy is wonky after 13 years). The Denon, their flagship 5803 from several years ago, is rock solid. It would help to know your budget for equipment. Do you need speakers, too? If so, how much do you want to spend on them? Good luck!

#5 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hello and thank you Steve . . . I don't have a budget right now because I'm not buying anything currently . . . I just want to do some research on speakers so that if I ever do decide to buy some I will know what I want if you know what I mean. I want to get my research done ahead of time so that I don't need to do a bunch of research when it comes time for me to buy some good speakers.

#6 of 14 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 07 2012 - 12:10 PM

Speakers cost between $10 each and $100,000 each. There are thousands of options in between those two price ranges. At least narrow down the budget a little and maybe the size you are limited to.

#7 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 01:08 PM

I said above that I want prestigious speaker brands . . . so that means brands like B&W, Klipsch, JBL etc. Tell me the audiophile brands.

#8 of 14 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,458 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 07 2012 - 01:26 PM

I like my JBL's, but I would not call them prestigious.

#9 of 14 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 07 2012 - 03:03 PM

Klipsch makes everything from cheap PC speakers to classic speakers but in my opinion, not prestigious. Same with JBL. Now, some of the B&W models are. Same with other brands that have different lines at different price points. Grab a copy Absolute Sound from your local book store and check out the advertisements. I know guys here get tire of me posting this, but these were the best speakers I've ever heard - http://egglestonworks.com/ . I had a chance to tour the factory and listen to a pair of the Savoy speakers driven by Boulder monoblocks. The wires connecting the equipment cost more than my entire setup.

#10 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 03:15 PM

The wires connecting the equipment cost more than my entire setup.

I don't believe in expensive cables . . . I believe that most people could not hear a difference between cheapo cables and expensive cables in a blind test but I don't want to open up a big argument about expensive cables so to each their own I guess. EDIT: This is a big reason why I don't believe in expensive cables: http://nwavguy.blogs...ive-debate.html

#11 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice about getting a hold of an Absolute Sound magazine though.

#12 of 14 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 07 2012 - 03:50 PM

I've had a set of Klipsch for over 11 years now and they sound amazing. I bought a set of RF-3's fronts and a center, and a few months bought the matching surounds. I have never been thrilled with the center speaker but the fronts and the surrounds are still pumping out the sounds.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 14 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 07 2012 - 06:56 PM

I think it matters if you are looking for music, movies or both.  I happen to like Atlantic Technology speakers.  Speakers are tough.  A hundred people will give you a hundred different answers as to what the best speaker is.  I would add KEF, Revell, Martin Logan, Snell and Atlantic Technology to the shopping list too.

#14 of 14 King Alecay

King Alecay

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 07 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thank you that is much appreciated Adam. And if I had home theater speakers I would be listening to music along with watching movies.