What's new

Trying to find a few country music movies from the 1960s...can anyone help? (1 Viewer)

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you guys and gals can help a fellow board member out in attaining and searching for a few of those old country music movies from the 1960s as I'd really like to have these for my personal collection and they are as follows:

1) Country Music Caravan or Country Music Carnival c. 1964
2) Tennessee Jamboree c. 1964
3) The Gold Guitar C. 1966

I heard the third title was included on some horror tape in 1992 for some weird reason but only have spotted a trailer for that specific film but the other films seem to be either out of print or just no longer available due to age or whatever the case might be. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks again and take care. Richard

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Good luck! These films and others like it seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth. Another title from that era is "That Tennessee Beat". Great music all around.

Without researching I would bet these were all indie productions and the master materials have scattered to who knows where. Sometimes 16mm prints show up on eBay but that obviously doesn't work for most people.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Steve, I hear ya but hoping it does eventually see a release sooner rather than later just bizarre that the movie Gold Guitar was actually released on something called this on VHS back in 1992...Grindhouse Horrors VHS tape

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
I'm sorry I can't help you.

I'm a big fan of those cheaply made country music movies of the 1950's & 1960's.

Saturday I watched a hard to find movie which now is easy to find on YouTube:
Norwood (1970) starring Glen Campbell, Joe Namath and Kim Darby.

I downloaded it, and it looks nice up converted on my Oppo BD95 EU Blu-ray player.
I can't find any info on the original aspect ratio for the movie. It looked good in 4:3 though. Nice picture compositions and I couldn't detect any pan & scan.
I've never been a fan of Mr. Campbell, but the movie made me order the soundtrack album, I really enjoyed the songs and music.
The movie was very enjoyable in a lighthearted way. During the last half it became a bit tiresome, but all in all one of the better country music movies.

I made a list of country music movies on another site. It's my most frequently watched list on that site.
The name of the list is: Nashville on the big (& small) screen, that means Country & Western movies!

Maybe you've seen it already :)

On the 2 films:

You might be disappointed to learn that the performances in these two releases were filmed in the 1950's and has been released on several DVDs over the years. I'm a big Jim Reeves fan I learned this on a Jim Reeves forum.
The films were produced and directed by Al Gannaway.

I'd love to see a DVD of The Gold Guitar too :)

If you like I could make a list of movies released on DVD. I own quite a few of them.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W

I'm a big fan of those cheaply made country music movies of the 1950's & 1960's.

I downloaded it, and it looks nice up converted on my Oppo BD95 EU Blu-ray player.
I can't find any info on the original aspect ratio for the movie. It looked good in 4:3 though. Nice picture compositions and I couldn't detect any pan & scan.
I've never been a fan of Mr. Campbell, but the movie made me order the soundtrack album, I really enjoyed the songs and music.
The movie was very enjoyable in a lighthearted way. During the last half it became a bit tiresome, but all in all one of the better country music movies.

I made a list of country music movies on another site. It's my most frequently watched list on that site.
The name of the list is: Nashville on the big (& small) screen, that means Country & Western movies!

On the 2 films:

You might be disappointed to learn that the performances in these two releases were filmed in the 1950's and has been released on several DVDs over the years. I'm a big Jim Reeves fan I learned this on a Jim Reeves forum.

If you like I could make a list of movies released on DVD. I own quite a few of them.

I just need those three movies as I can get another obscure one called Cottonpickin' Chickenpickers c. 1968 from a record store of all places in the Nashville area, but those other three I'd love to have as I love the music on those films, but they might only be available through 16mm or 35mm print. My all-time favorites are Country Music on Broadway and Second Fiddle to a Steel Guitar with the Bowery Boys.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
OK.
I downloaded Cottonpickin' Chickenpickers (1967) from Something Weird Video.
The colors are weak and picture quality is low. The soundtrack sounds boxed in and is very weak.

The movie is very interesting for country fans. Where else can you watch Margie Bowes perform the fast song Not Me in color?
I believe the song was never released on record.

It's stupid & corny hillbilly mumbo jumbo, but that's what I expect from most of those movies.
As you say, the music is what's interesting. I also appreciate the rare color performances from the classic nashville sound stars.

Country Music on Broadway (1964) and Second Fiddle to a Steel Guitar (1965) are great examples of this kind of movie. Country Music on Broadway was the first of this type filmed in color.

Fortunately those two were released on DVD. Second Fiddle... was from Time Life and is out of print.
The other one was paired with Music City U.S.A. (1966) on a DVD (was obtainable from the Ernest Tubb Record Shop I believe).

There are several others I'd like to see:

Forty Acre Feud (1965)
Country Boy [Here Comes That Nashville Sound] (1966)
That Tennessee Beat (1966)
Killers Three (1968)
A Time to Sing (1968)

to name a few.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
OK.
I downloaded Cottonpickin' Chickenpickers (1967) from Something Weird Video.
The colors are weak and picture quality is low. The soundtrack sounds boxed in and is very weak.

The movie is very interesting for country fans. Where else can you watch Margie Bowes perform the fast song Not Me in color?
I believe the song was never released on record.

It's stupid & corny hillbilly mumbo jumbo, but that's what I expect from most of those movies.
As you say, the music is what's interesting. I also appreciate the rare color performances from the classic nashville sound stars.

Country Music on Broadway (1964) and Second Fiddle to a Steel Guitar (1965) are great examples of this kind of movie. Country Music on Broadway was the first of this type filmed in color.

Fortunately those two were released on DVD. Second Fiddle... was from Time Life and is out of print.
The other one was paired with Music City U.S.A. (1966) on a DVD (was obtainable from the Ernest Tubb Record Shop I believe).

There are several others I'd like to see:

Forty Acre Feud (1965)
Country Boy [Here Comes That Nashville Sound] (1966)
That Tennessee Beat (1966)
Killers Three (1968)
A Time to Sing (1968)

to name a few.

I managed to find 40 Acre Feud but not the Chickenpickers movie online, but would like to see the latter film somehow.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
I'm glad you found 40 Acre Feud :)

Something has happened to the old Something Weird site.
I can't find Chickenpickers either....

Founder Mike Vraney passed away. Maybe that's the answer.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I know the movie is available at the ET Record Shop in Nashville and online (Chickenpickers) but that's about it for the old-time country films.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

On the 2 films:

I love Jim as well; I invested in his 16 CD set from Bear Family. Certainly well worth the money! Gannaway, if you didn't know, is the one responsible for the color Opry shows from the mid-50's. I used to watch those on the local PBS station on Saturday nights.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
Hi, Ron!

Like you I bought the Jim Reeves 16 CD set back in 1995. It was released in 1994.
I listened to it for years,
Then I read that some recordings on that set has been sped up to fit as much as they could on the CDs.

Getting familiar with Mr. Reeves on LP records and singles I found that he sounds much better in the right speed on records. The sound from the records is also warm and nice.

I also compared it to other CDs and they sound very natural and in the correct speed / pitch.

I remember comparing recordings from the box set with other digitizations on the net directly and I could clearly hear the difference .

His only movie Kimberley Jim (1963) was released as a bootleg DVD by Bear Family Records.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Wanted to issue an update to this posting as I also spotted two more movies that I am in search of, in addition to the ones mentioned above and they are as follows:

1) The Country Boy (1966)
2) From Nashville with Music (1969)
Just spotted Tennessee Beat on Youtube not too long ago

And was there ever a show intro included as part of The Country Music on Broadway film because on the DVD I have, there was never a proper intro to the movie, but I saw there was some sort of intro on Youtube to it where the fiddlers were playing the Orange Blossom Special as they rolled through the beginning credits and such and haven't been able to spot that as of yet, so any help would be greatly and truly appreciated in attaining these titles for my collection. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks