What's new

Need help with L/C/R speakers (1 Viewer)

fresh101

Auditioning
Real Name
xtream
Hello Everyone, I am looking for the best quality sound speaker (woofers, tweeter and etc) to build my own home surround system. I was looking into the Usher 8836AC woofers but they are 7" and require 1cu ft of enclosure and for my purpose I cannot use this. I need something similar or better but that does not require that much of enclosure space, as I want to mount them on the wall next to the screen and underneath. The use of this system will be for 60% Movies, 30% Music & 10% Gaming. Please give me your suggestion on other speakers you recommend that will sound fabulous. Thanks in advance

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
best quality sound speaker (woofers, tweeter and etc)
Best quality parts will not always give you the best sound if you can't integrate them together properly. Are you designing your own crossover? For people just starting out building speakers I always suggest going with a proven design. Based on your requirements, you need small enclosures (How small?) that will be wall mounted. What is your budget for parts?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Agreed. If you've never built a speaker before, "fabulous sounding" isn't likely going to be easy to achieve on the first try. I'd go with a small speaker kit or buy something already built. What is the budget?

fresh101

Auditioning
Real Name
xtream
Robert_J said:
best quality sound speaker (woofers, tweeter and etc)
Best quality parts will not always give you the best sound if you can't integrate them together properly. Are you designing your own crossover? For people just starting out building speakers I always suggest going with a proven design. Based on your requirements, you need small enclosures (How small?) that will be wall mounted. What is your budget for parts?
I have $2000 to spend for parts if it's something I can do for myself. I am pretty good with wood working, but don't know much about sound as just to plug,. connect and go. I have setup and install car audio but just the basic and nothing to do with crossover. I would like for someone to build me the XO or if it's something I can do by providing instruction then I am pretty sure I can manage. In other words if clear instruction is provided, I can do about anything. Small Size, somewhere about: 34" H x 6" W x 4" D

fresh101

Auditioning
Real Name
xtream
John Garcia said:
Agreed. If you've never built a speaker before, "fabulous sounding" isn't likely going to be easy to achieve on the first try. I'd go with a small speaker kit or buy something already built. What is the budget?
Well, building a cabinet that the speaker should go into, would not be a problem for me to do given all the specs and info of the speakers, now building a crossover for them is a different story, as I never done that. My budget is $2000 for parts or atleast just some good front speakers and a sub. thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Building a x-over isn't hard, it is the DESIGN portion that can get tricky. If you don't have gear to measure what the speakers are doing in conjunction with the x-over, then you would just be guessing. Buy a kit which consists of already selected drivers and a crossover built to suit them and build your own enclosures for them. Some places to start: http://www.madisound.com/kits/ www.partsexpress.com (look up speaker kits, there's a D'Applolito designed Usher kit there that is supposed to be good) http://gr-research.com/diykits.aspx (as you can see in my sig, I like these :) )

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Small Size, somewhere about: 34" H x 6" W x 4" D
4" depth is tough. Here's what I have planned - http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery/speaker-projects/ (sort with oldest projects first and find the Dayton Home Theater). I have plans for the MTM version. I'm going to build them about 6.5" wide, 48" tall and only as deep as needed. Total price is about $125 each for parts.
My budget is $2000 for parts or atleast just some good front speakers and a sub. thanks
There's also an on-wall version of the Natalie P speaker. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=22626 for the specific crossover design. It's a little wider than you wanted.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a quick note too, in-/on-wall is one of those things that really aren't among the best things to do for your sound. If you can avoid it, I would highly recommend that you do. If you must, here are some to consider that are already built: http://axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html There are a number of other companies that offer speakers like this as well, that was just the first one I thought of due to size. I think a well planned DIY will offer better performance vs. price than probably all of those though.

fresh101

Auditioning
Real Name
xtream
John Garcia said:
Just a quick note too, in-/on-wall is one of those things that really aren't among the best things to do for your sound. If you can avoid it, I would highly recommend that you do. If you must, here are some to consider that are already built: http://axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html There are a number of other companies that offer speakers like this as well, that was just the first one I thought of due to size. I think a well planned DIY will offer better performance vs. price than probably all of those though.
How about if we forget about the on wall stuff and concentrate on good loud quality sound front speakers. Budget is $2000 only for the L/C/R speakers, sub I will worry about it later. I want this speaker to be for 50% movies, 40% music and 10% gaming and believe me, I like it loud.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want this speaker to be for 50% movies, 40% music and 10% gaming
Why not say, I want this speaker to be accurate? A properly designed speaker should reproduce whatever signal is fed into it. Are you still wanting to go DIY? L/C/R and a sub? What receiver do you have? Can it drive a 4 ohm load?

fresh101

Auditioning
Real Name
xtream
Robert_J said:
I want this speaker to be for 50% movies, 40% music and 10% gaming
Why not say, I want this speaker to be accurate? A properly designed speaker should reproduce whatever signal is fed into it. Are you still wanting to go DIY? L/C/R and a sub? What receiver do you have? Can it drive a 4 ohm load?
$2000 budget, will be just for L/C/R speaker, no sub. It doesn't have to be DIY, and I will buy the receiver after I get the speakers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are going to have to narrow things down. Towers or bookshelf models? What speakers have you auditioned? There are thousands of options at your price range.

fresh101

Auditioning
Real Name
xtream
Robert_J said:
You are going to have to narrow things down. Towers or bookshelf models? What speakers have you auditioned? There are thousands of options at your price range.
I have seen the Definitive Mythos Ten and the Mythos XTR-50 L/R, XTR-60 C and XTR-20 for the REAR Also seen the Dayton Audio UA721 with Usher 8836AC Woofers for L/C/R & I definitely like the Dayton Audio RS1202K dual 12" sub to be included in my system but it will not be in the $2000 budget.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Def Tech makes great speakers. Those Dayton kits will probably sound great as well since Joseph D. designed them. I have a DIII for the center and I'm building 2 more for L & R speakers - http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/daytoniii/dayton_iii.html I'd go with an Epik Empire over the Dayton kit - http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks