What's new

Official Oscar Nomination Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BEST PICTURE

The Artist

Thomas Langmann, Producer

The Descendats

Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers

Extremely loud & incredibly close

Scott Rudin, Producer

The Help

Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers

Hugo

Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers

Midnight in Paris

Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers

Moneyball

Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers

The Tree of life

Nominees to be determined

War Horse

Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

Actor In A Leading Role

Demián Bichir

A Better Life

George Clooney

The Descendants

Jean Dujardin

The Artist

Gary Oldman

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Brad Pitt

Moneyball

Actor In A Supporting Role

Kenneth Branagh

My Week With Marilyn

Jonah Hill

Moneyball

Nick Nolte

Warrior

Christopher Plummer

Beginners

Max Von Sydow

extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Actress In A Leading Role

Glenn Close

Albert Nobbs

Viola Davis

The Help

Rooney Mara

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Meryl Streep

The Iron Lady

Michelle Williams

My Week With Marilyn

Actress In A Supporting Role

Be?re?nice Bejo

The Artist

Jessica Chastain

The Help

Melissa Mccarthy

Bridesmaids

Janet McTeer

Albert Nobbs

Octavia Spencer

The Help

page1image23920

page1image24192

page1image24464

page1image24736

page1image25008

page1image25280

page1image25552

page1image25824

page1image26096

page1image26368

page1image26912

page1image27184

page1image27456

page1image27728

Animated Feature Film

A Cat In Paris

Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli

Chico & Rita

Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal

Kung Fu Panda 2

Jennifer yuh Nelson

Puss In Boots

Chris Miller

Rango

Gore Verbinski

Art Direction

The Artist

Production Design: Laurence Bennett Set Decoration: Robert Gould

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Production Design: Stuart Craig
Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan

Hugo

Production Design: Dante ferretti
Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo

Midnight In Paris

Production Design: Anne Seibel

Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil

War Horse

Production Design: Rick Carter

Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

Cinematography

The Artist

Guillaume Schiffman

Jeff Cronenweth

Hugo

Robert Richardson

The Tree of Life

Emmanuel Lubezki

War Horse

Janusz Kaminski

Costume Design

Anonymous

Lisy Christly

The Artist

Mark Bridges

Hugo

Sandy Powell

Jane Eyre

Michael o’Connor

W.E.

Arianne Phillips

Directing

The Artist

Michel Hazanavicius

The Descendants

Alexander Payne

Hugo

Martin Scorsese

Midnight in paris

Woody Allen

The Tree of life

Terrence Malick

Documentary Feature

Hell And Back Again

Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner

If A Tree Falls: A Story of The Earth Liberation front
Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky

Pina

Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel

Undefeated

TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

Documentary Short Subject

The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of The Civil Rights Movement Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin

God Is The Bigger Elvis

Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson

Incident In New Baghdad

James Spione

page2image32064

Saving Face

Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

The Tsunami And The Cherry Blossom

Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

Film Editing

The Artist

Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

The Descendants

Kevin Tent

Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Hugo

Thelma Schoonmaker

Moneyball

Christopher Tellefsen

Foreign Language Film

Bullhead

Belgium

Footnote

Israel

In Darkness

Poland

Monsieur lazhar

Canada

A separation

Iran

Makeup

Albert Nobbs

Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle

Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin

The Iron Lady

Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

Music (Original Score)

The Adventures of TinTin

John Williams

The Artist

Ludovic Bource

Hugo

Howard Shore

Alberto iglesias

War Horse

John Williams

Music (Original Song)

Man or Muppet

The Muppets
Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

Real in Rio

Rio
Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown Lyric by Siedah Garrett

Short Film (Animated)

DimAnche/Sunday

Patrick Doyon

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg

la luna

Enrico Casarosa

A Morning Stroll

Grant orchard and Sue Goffe

Wild Life

Amanda forbis and Wendy Tilby

Short Film (Live Action)

PenTecost

Peter McDonald and eimear o’Kane

Raju

Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren

The Shore

Terry George and oorlagh George

Time Freak

Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey

Tuba Atlantic

Hallvar Witzø

Sound Editing

Drive

Lon Bender and Victor Ray ennis

Ren Klyce

Hugo

Philip Stockton and eugene Gearty

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

War Horse

Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

Sound Mixing

David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson

Hugo

Tom fleischman and John Midgley

Moneyball

Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick

Transformers: DarK of The Moon

Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin

War Horse

Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

Visual Effects

Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and
John Richardson

Hugo

Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning

Real Steel

Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon

Scott farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John frazier

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

The Descendants

Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash

Hugo

Screenplay by John Logan

The Ides of March

Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon

Moneyball

Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin Story by Stan Chervin

Screenplay by Bridget o’Connor & Peter Straughan

Writing (Original Screenplay)

The Artist

Written by Michel Hazanavicius

Bridesmaids

Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

Margin Call

Written by J.C. Chandor

miDnighT in pAris

Written by Woody Allen

A Separation

Written by Asghar farhadi

page4image24880

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Tree Of Life is really an incredible movie and the most deserving of the win (and that's coming from someone who expected it to be pretentious bullshit) but it won't win. I'd happily trade The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with War Horse or The Help. Not that they're bad movies though. I LOVE that Jonah Hill got an Oscar nomination just because he was good in Moneyball and mostly because it will bother people. I wish David Fincher got a nom but I can't really argue with the guys who did get Best Direction nominations. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo should win all of its nominated categories though. And Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won the Oscar last year and they made one of only memorable scores this year and they don't even get a nomination?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
TravisR said:
The Tree Of Life is really an incredible movie and the most deserving of the win (and that's coming from someone who expected it to be pretentious bullshit) but it won't win. I'd happily trade The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with War Horse or The Help. Not that they're bad movies though. I LOVE that Jonah Hill got an Oscar nomination just because he was good in Moneyball and mostly because it will bother people. I wish David Fincher got a nom but I can't really argue with the guys who did get Best Direction nominations. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo should win all of its nominated categories though. And Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won the Oscar last year and they made one of only memorable scores this year and they don't even get a nomination?
I'm real happy about Tree Of Life. I thought it was going to get stiffed. The two that I'm a bit surprised by are War Horse for Best Picture and Rooney Mara for Best Actress. I didn't think either were deserving. I was also happy to see Moneyball and Midnight In Paris get their noms. I agree with you about Reznor and Ross. That was a fantastic score.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Tintin not being nominated for best animated film irks me, it was a superbly crafted film. Perhaps the motion capture process disqualifies it? I though Kung Fu Panda 2 was a very-well directed film, but that over Tintin baffles me!

And bravo for Hugo gathering so many nominations...there's hope for 3D yet!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got up so I'll comment on the noms after I go through them better but..... Did Werner Herzog mess with one of the board members wives or something? Beither CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS or INTO THE ABYSS could pick up a Best Documentary nom?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
As always the noms throw us a few curve balls.

Best Picture
The big surprise here is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which has been receiving decidedly mixed reviews. I wasn't sure if War Horse would make the cut, but glad it did. Also glad to see Woody Allen back in the BP mix with Midnight In Paris. As far as what will win, I think The Descendants GG win was a fluke, and Hugo is the only contender that could possibly derail The Artist in this category.

Director
Looks to be a mirror of the BP race: Scorsese vs Hazanavicius.

Actor
Where the hell did Demián Bichir come from? At any rate, this one is Clooney vs. Dujardin.

Actress
No surprises here. This is probably Streep's to lose, although The Iron Lady is such a horrible film that it's not a slam-dunk. I would prefer Davis or Mara, although the former probably has the best chance of beating Meryl.

Supporting Actor
Really disappointed to see Albert Brooks (Drive) and Armie Hammer (J. Edgar) passed over. Something tells me this will come down to Plummer vs. Von Sydow.

Supporting Actress
I was convinced after seeing The Help last summer that Octavia Spencer has this award locked up. Nothing has changed my mind since then. Nice to see Melissa McCarthy get a nomination.

Animated Film
In the first decade of this category's existence (2001-2010), every year there's been an eligible Pixar film released it has been nominated. That streak ends this year. That's not too much of a surprise, however, the absence of The Adventures of Tin Tin is. Like Neil, I'm wondering if it was ineligible for some reason. At any rate, I suppose the front-runner here is Kung Fu Panda 2, although I'm personally rooting for the extremely odd yet strangely endearing Rango.

Foreign Language Film
A Separation seems to be the front-runner here, but this category often surprises.

Score
I'm puzzled as well at the exclusion of Reznor & Ross. I am glad to see Howard Shore's lovely score for Hugo and Alberto Iglesias' moody 70s-flavored work for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy recognized. I want Shore to win, but I expect the award will go to Bource on the coattails of The Artist's probable BP win.

Screenplay
Looks like a real race for Adapted. I could see The Descendants, Hugo, or Moneyball winning it. I'm thinking it may go to the latter due to the degree of difficulty of adapting that book into an entertaining film. As for Original, looks like another win for The Artist, with Woody Allen being the possible spoiler here.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Looking at the list of nom confirms my suspicion that this upcoming Oscars is going to be BOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGG!

to keep with the negativity, I'm hoping to see Maryl Streep lose since I'm sick of Oscar bait films winning anything in these awards, as well as that Extremely Loud nonsense.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Tintin wasn't disqualified by the mocap work, but it is animators who make the nominations and they are not fans of Tintin because they don't consider the process as 'pure'.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Biggest disappointments: Shailene Woodley snubbed for Best Supporting Actress, and especially David Zippel and Alan Menken snubbed for "Star Spangled Man" from Captain America: The First Avenger, Brad Bird snubbed in the directing category.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also thought 2011 was a pretty weak year for outstanding films. I'm still puzzled by "War Horse" getting a BP nom. My surprises (and disappointments): BEST PICTURE Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - might have to check this one out (I had passed on it this weekend, tepid reviews) Midnight in Paris - just happy this film didn't get forgotten, as it was released mid-year. Bonus points for Woody letting the camera linger on Rachel McAdam's rear just a tad longer than expected in the filling-up-the-car-trunk scene. Heh. Moneyball - decent flick, but not a BP contender. The Tree of life - shocked that it got a BP nom, simply because it was so out of the norm, and polarizing for challenging cinema conventions. War Horse - won't win, place or show. ---------- Actor In A Leading Role Demián Bichir - surprise nom, but he's done good work in the past. George Clooney - not a surprise nom, but just never really thought it was Oscar-worthy. Gary Oldman - eh, though for one scene in TTSS, not a memorable role Brad Pitt - besides eating, or tobacco-chewing in almost every scene in this movie, also not a memorable role for Pitt. -------------- Actor In A Supporting Role Kenneth Branagh - easily a solid choice, but probably will lose out of either of the lifetime achievement awards in the race between Plummer/VonSydow. Jonah Hill - literally a nom from left field. He's going to be be the toast of the Judd Apatow crew. Nick Nolte - not sure I understood much of his dialogue in Warrior. Christopher Plummer - haven't seen his performance in Beginners Max Von Sydow - also haven't seen this performance in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close ----------- Actress In A Leading Role Glenn Close - heard really good reviews for her work in Albert Nobbs, but haven't seen the film Rooney Mara - I think her physical transformational aspects got a lot of press, but her performance wasn't showy, but still captivating, but I understand why some people didn't think much of her performance. Meryl Streep - too bad her performance was stuck in Oscar-bait. Michelle Williams - given a somewhat weak field this year, I had suspected she'd get a nom. ------------- Actress In A Supporting Role Bérénice Bejo - solid work Jessica Chastain - somewhat surprising, but she could be a rising star, had a good year of roles Melissa McCarthy - 2011 is her year, snagged an Emmy, and now an Oscar nom. She won't win, but she was totally the scene-stealer Octavia Spencer - she will most likely win for yet another scene-stealer type of role, as her role was more poignantly utilized in the film. ---------------- Animated Feature Film No Tintin, maybe the Academy will inevitably created a category for mo-cap animated film. ------------- Directing The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius - A daring effort in this day and age of cinema, the one to beat. The Descendants - Alexander Payne - nicely pitched directing job, probably won't win. Hugo - Martin Scorsese - only has to beat out Hazanavicius, Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen - while being a breath of fresh air, film-wise, the directing was a fairly standard Woody Allen effort. The Tree of life - Terrence Malick - most audacious directing effort to be nominated, but too divisive to win. -------------- Makeup The Iron Lady - Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland - the only other decent aspect of this film (besides Streep's performance). ---------- Writing (Adapted Screenplay) The Descendants - Can you believe it, Community's Dean Pelton (Jim Rash) would be part of the crew for an Oscar-nommed screenplay? Hugo - A love letter to cinema. The Ides of March - entertaining, surprising nom to me. Moneyball - Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin Story by Stan Chervin - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - it probably reads better than the actual film presented itself in visuals and audio. ---------------- Writing (Original Screenplay) The Artist - probably will win. Bridesmaids - this was a surprise to me Midnight in Paris - could win.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't believe there were not more than two worthy original songs, out of all the films released last year.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Craig S
Screenplay
As for Original, looks like another win for The Artist, with Woody Allen being the possible spoiler here.

Totally agree with all your assessments except this one. Bridesmaids could have the love here to pull it off.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I can't believe there were not more than two worthy original songs, out of all the films released last year.

They changed the rules this past year for Song in order to make it harder to get nominated. Frankly, aside from 1-2 more songs from The Muppets, I don't know of any other songs that were worthy of nominations. And not competing with itself can only help The Muppets' Muppet or Man win anyway.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Kevin EK

Look for The Artist to sweep best picture, director and script.

I think Scorsese has Director locked up. Everyone who really loves that movie knows its because they ultimately love Scorsese. The Artist will likely win picture, but Scorsese's presence at this point is too dominant to be ignored, IMO. If he wins the DGA it will only solidify him more.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Scorses basically made a movie about film restoration, so it's a safe bet to win some major award, probably director. You might as will give Michelle Williams the actress award at the same time for the Marlyn movie. Hollywood always looks after itself.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm saddened. Was eagerly awaiting the Hobo With A Shotgun post-Oscar nomination ad-blitz. Was looking forward to the one that says, "We Showed You How To Skate-Rape." I was pretty startled to find out this is Gary Oldman's first nomination. But it sort of makes sense to me now. He hasn't been in much Oscar-baiting far, and he doesn't seem to be somebody who enjoys glad-handing. Speaking of boring, can it be called a shock at the lack of Eastwood? I would have thought J. Edgar would've picked up a few costume or makeup noms, if only just to get Clint into the auditorium. Nice to see Rooney Mara in contention, but Charlize should have been there, too. It'd be great if Malick showed up drunk with a massive entourage, and started loudly booing when The Artist wins.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also: Transformers 3: Dark Side of the Moon now has the same number of nominations as Tree of Life. Eek. Twitter was quite funny this morning. From surprising trending topics (Emmanuel Lubezski was trending worldwide for awhile) to the varied reactions to the Oscar-noms. Just saw some guy all upset that "the worst movie I ever saw" (The Tree of Life) got nominated, while Happy Feet 2 missed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks