What's new

Official Oscar Nomination Thread (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I thought Nick Swardson's deeply-nuanced performance in Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star was one for the ages, and it's a real shame he got snubbed. And another TWO nominations for John Williams -- is he the most nominated individual ever? Surely must be up there, somewhere. The entire Academy needs to stick their hands out and hail The Man in the Scorpion Jacket to drive their getaway car, because they just robbed Fassbender in broad daylight. (Would love to see the overlooked Michael Shannon at the Oscar show throwing a full-on "Take Shelter" tantrum, overturning tables and roaring, "There's a STORM coming!!!")

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm really not disappointed at the lack of a nomination for Reznor and Ross, as I found their Dragon Tattoo score to be essentially two-and-a-half hours of synth noodling (which, to a lesser extent, is how I felt about their Social Network score, as well). It was appropriate and effective for the movie, but far from Oscar-worthy. But I'm happy about Nolte's nod, even though I imagine Christopher Plummer has that one in the bag (and he was really good in Beginners, so that wouldn't be a disappointment, either).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I would have swapped out Michelle Williams' nom and put Charlize Theron in there, instead.

Honestly, I would have pulled Streep for Theron. I hated The Iron Lady that much.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by joshEH

And another TWO nominations for John Williams -- is he the most nominated individual ever? Surely must be up there, somewhere.
The entire Academy needs to stick their hands out and hail The Man in the Scorpion Jacket to drive their getaway car, because they just robbed Fassbender in broad daylight.
(Would love to see the overlooked Michael Shannon at the Oscar show throwing a full-on "Take Shelter" tantrum, overturning tables and roaring, "There's a STORM coming!!!")

Williams now has 47 nominations (including 5 wins), which keeps him in second place behind Walt Disney, with a whopping 59 nominations, including 22 wins.

Good call, the absence of both Fassbender and Shannon is a bit surprising.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

I'm really not disappointed at the lack of a nomination for Reznor and Ross, as I found their Dragon Tattoo score to be essentially two-and-a-half hours of synth noodling (which, to a lesser extent, is how I felt about their Social Network score, as well). It was appropriate and effective for the movie, but far from Oscar-worthy.
But I'm happy about Nolte's nod, even though I imagine Christopher Plummer has that one in the bag (and he was really good in Beginners, so that wouldn't be a disappointment, either).

I'm also happy that Nolte got a nom. He was just stunning in "Warrior" - he couldn't have been more raw and vulnerable if he'd tried. I suspect he won't win but really hope he does...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Very dissappointed that only two songs were nominated. I thought "The Muppets" alone should have had two; Man or Muppet & Pictures in My Head..but there were other titles I thought should have been in contention also.

Also agree on "The Iron Lady" Terrible film (IMHO).

The documentaries are again all wrong; totally screwed up..

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
At least we're finally going to be hearing/seeing, "Academy Award-Nominee Gary Oldman" in many, many trailers in the years to come. But seriously -- Close over Theron, Olsen, and Swinton? Way to seem vital and fresh, Academy. Albert Brooks not getting nominated is insane. And Jean Dujardin? You're seriously going to tell me that he put in a better performance than Fassbender and The Shannon? Mara really needs to bring that metal dildo of hers and kick it up the Academy's ass.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Part of the problem is that most members in the animation category don't consider performance capture to be animation (I've heard some refer to it as "cheating"). What surprised and pleased me was that Cars 2 was NOT nominated, possibly the first time that Pixar had an eligible film but did not get nominated.

Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

Tintin not being nominated for best animated film irks me, it was a superbly crafted film. Perhaps the motion capture process disqualifies it? I though Kung Fu Panda 2 was a very-well directed film, but that over Tintin baffles me!

And bravo for Hugo gathering so many nominations...there's hope for 3D yet!

/t/317978/official-oscar-nomination-thread#post_3890593

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This article has some pretty nice ideas for simultaneously obliterating the Oscars' credibility, and making them far more interesting. Extremely Loud was automatically locked in for a Best Picture nomination. Reverse-engineered in every single way especially for the Academy...and probably no one else. Treacly, emotional-backrub bullshit. At least Spielberg got shut out this year for Best Director, despite pulling the exact same trick. And Albert Nobbs was one of those projects (beloved actress who's never won an Oscar plays a man? And it's not a comedy, but a tear-jerker?) that pretty much had "guaranteed Oscar-nom" stamped all over it from the get-go. While I knew Deathly Hallows 2 would never get a BP nod, I am a little surprised there was no talk of giving producer David Heyman a Special Achievement Oscar for the pretty unprecedented achievement of getting all eight movies made within a decade with a singular vision and the same cast, and having them all be megabuck-successes.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, you can't really be too shocked about LOUD considering they awarded Bullock an award for something like THE BLIND SIDE. I love Streep but I really hope she doesn't win this thing. My vote will easily go to Williams. I'm not sure I would have put Davis in as an Actress but I guess they didn't want three taking up the Supporting one. Williams should be a lock here (although I still need to see ALBERT and TATTOO). I've yet to see A BETTER LIFE but I hope his performance is better than the leads in DRIVE, SHAME and TAKE SHELTER. The BRIDESMAIDS love still shocks me. McCarthy over Mulligan?? Not in my book. Heck, I'd put Aniston in HORRIBLE BOSSES over McCarthy if they needed filth in there. Woodley being left out?? So, I need to see LOUD, TATTOO, BETTER LIFE, TINKER, ALBERT and WARRIOR to finish off the major pictures.

Rian

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's because I've only seen a handful of the movies up for awards this year but I'm nowhere near as excited or intrigued as previous years. Someone mentioned on Twitter that the Oscars have become an Art House/Indie film thing and while I don't necessarily agree with that, I can see where they're coming from. When I can watch a trailer (Iron Lady, War Horse) and easily call it out as Oscar bait, and it gets nominated for an Oscar, it puts me off. Nothing against those movies since I haven't seen them, but it's as if they're made purely to win an Oscar. Tell a good story? No, Meryl Streep needs another nomination. She's a great actress yes, but is she going to get a nomination every year just for showing up on set?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
The BRIDESMAIDS love still shocks me. McCarthy over Mulligan?? Not in my book. Heck, I'd put Aniston in HORRIBLE BOSSES over McCarthy if they needed filth in there. Woodley being left out??
I don't know if anyone is going to like this but I think Melissa McCarthy is Hollywood's attempt to show that they value more than just the usual thin, beautiful woman. I loved Bridesmaids and thought McCarthy was really good in it but occasionally Hollywood wants to show that they like fat chicks and McCarthy was the lucky recipient. I hope she takes all the opportunities (and hence money) that come from this nomination and runs.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Oscar bait as been around since the 1930s though. This "award" is just Hollywood slapping each others asses so one really shouldn't give too much credit to it. I think part of the problem is that it's doubtful those viewing the films have actually seen all of them. I believe it was Charlton Heston who once said that it was his wife who filled out the form. There's also no question that this is a popularity thing at times, which is why someone like Roberts and Bullock won (sorry, I wasn't blown away by either performance). I agree that Streep's nominations seem to be because of who she is. I can go with the nom for THE IRON LADY even though the film was crap but J&J is one that I didn't understand. As for the arthouse thing, I'm sorry if mainstream crowds are upset but to me they usually get it right. I know the mainstream wants to see Spears getting Best Actress and that they want TWILIGHT to get Best Picture but I think being a snob helps in these fights. The mainstream have their People's Choice Awards so we don't need this falling into the Oscars. If the mainstream doesn't want to see a B&W silent movie then that's their problem. If people can't figure out THE TREE OF LIFE, again, not the film's problem. Just like it's not Michael Bay or Disney's problem that someone like me doesn't understand why PIRATES and TRANFORMERS are loved by people. There are movie made to be money makers and there are movies made to win awards. And I agree with Travis. I think politics certainly play a part in things and I guess Hollywood wants to say they "support" everyone but we can see what really happens by the type of roles these types are given. HAIRSPRAY and PRECIOUS didn't exactly get their stars much. I still say the politics of MILK had Penn beating Rourke. I guess Plummer and the type of role is going to help BEGINNERS (great, great performances but the film belongs to the two leads).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr

Part of the problem is that most members in the animation category don't consider performance capture to be animation (I've heard some refer to it as "cheating"). What surprised and pleased me was that Cars 2 was NOT nominated, possibly the first time that Pixar had an eligible film but did not get nominated.

Yup, it IS the first Pixar movie to be denied a Best Animated Feature nomination. That automatically means this will be the first year Pixar hasn't WON the award since 2006 when "Happy Feet" beat "Cars"...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wow I just noticed J. Edgar not getting any Oscar noms at all and Clint Eastwood makes films especially for the Oscar luvvies, that must have stung. Some people were going on about Di Caprio being the one to beat at Oscar time, one of the favourites to win best actor, ha!

Another Spielberg snub but he's used to it by now. Hugo and Scorsese all the way for me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Wow I just noticed J. Edgar not getting any Oscar noms at all and Clint Eastwood makes films especially for the Oscar luvvies, that must have stung. Some people were going on about Di Caprio being the one to beat at Oscar time, one of the favourites to win best actor, ha!

Another Spielberg snub but he's used to it by now. Hugo and Scorsese all the way for me.

Yeah, Eastwood must be pissed, he always gets noms, even that Hearafter or whatever it was movie got a nom for Special Efffects (I think it won, over Inception and Scott Pilgrim... RIDICULOUS!) and I don't think anyone liked it. Leo had Oscar buzz because that's the normal thing to do now, Leo gets awards noms since he's an amazing serious actor of serious actor movies! HOLLYWOOD HAS SPOKEN! Leonardo has grown into an amazing serious actor like the Tom "Bachelor Party" Hanks before him, and we shall stick Shia Lebouf into every god damned film we can until he too is accepted as an AMAZING SERIOUS ACTOR of SERIOUS ACTOR MOVIES! So Hollywood has spoken, so Hollywood shall have done!

I don't think Speilberg was snubbed as much as properly recognized for not producing that great of movies this year, though War Horse is in for best picture. Yeash. I haven't seen it, but a movie adaption of a stage play about a horse or some bullshit... yeah, I'll get to that one eventually....

Doug Benson (from the Doug Loves Movies podcast) posted on Twitter a good point that has been bugging me about the noms:

Quote: Doug Benson
With the exception of Michel Hazanavicius (THE ARTIST), everyone in the Best Director category has made a better movie. Much better. CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS > MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, GOODFELLAS > HUGO, BADLANDS > TREE OF LIFE, ELECTION > THE DESCENDANTS

It goes farther too. Meryl Streep won the Golden Globe for Iron Lady, but in the clips they showed her accent slipped into Julia Child's from the Julie and Julia movie (in which she was very very good.). She's Meryl Streep though, so she always gets nominated for being an AMAZING SERIOUS ACTRESS. Patton Oswalt has been getting all types of industry noms for Young Adult, no mention here. And I'm sorry folks, but Michael Fassbender was AWESOME as Magneto in X-Men: First Class as a Holocaust survivor looking for revenge and redemption. He should of been nominated for that. Seriously, that X-Men movie was probably the best film last year. too bad it features superheroes in costumes.

Lets face it, the Oscars are never going to get this stuff right. :S

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
DiCaprio is getting nominated next year for The Great Gatsby anyway, so no big deal for being omitted this year in a film that was received very poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks