Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Using a second reciever to power the sub only?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   tfryerje

tfryerje

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted February 23 2011 - 02:55 PM

This  can be done correct anyone have the pros and cons of such a thing?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 23 2011 - 03:35 PM

I suppose you could take the line level output for the sub off your first receiver, split it and connected one leg to your left channel in on your second receiver; then run speaker wire from the left channel speaker jacks to the second sub.  Over all I wouldn't recommend it.  Its pretty kludgy and unless its a high end receiver it may have issues trying to drive a sub.  You would probably be better much off looking for a second-hand mono amp.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted February 24 2011 - 04:20 AM

Perhaps it would be helpful if we know if your sub is powered by its own amp or if it is a passive sub that is powered by your receiver's amp.

If you have a powered sub I don't see why you would want to put a second receiver into the loop as what would you expect to gain.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted February 24 2011 - 05:06 AM

Most receivers don't have the power supply to deliver peaks required for the sub.  Also, it is usually difficult to find a dual 8 ohm sub which is the impedance that most receivers are most compatible with.