Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Time for a new TV. Recommendations please.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted December 06 2010 - 01:10 AM

I'm looking to replace a 10 year old Toshiba RPTV 57HX81.  I'm looking to get a 60 inch LED.  But I've been out of the loop and haven't kept up with the new TV's.  Took a spin through Best Buy the other day and left a bit confused.  Hoping you guys could help out.  I'm thinking of either a Sony or Samsung but I'm open to other brands.  Also what should I be looking for in terms of refresh rate?  I saw 120hz, 240hz, 480hz? Is there anything else I should be looking for?  I will also be looking to buy a Blu-Ray player so any help there would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance,

Vlad

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 471 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted December 06 2010 - 03:26 AM

If image fidelity is your primary priority in selecting a new TV, get a top line plasma.  Imaging professionals and display calibrators, whose business it is to demand correct pictures, prefer plasmas.  The contemporary popularity of LCD TVs in the mass market is due primarily to the fact that plasmas are not available any smaller than 42" diagonal.  Another big factor is a combination of marketing hyperbole and mass consumer ignorance about what constitutes a correct video image.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,294 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 06 2010 - 08:26 AM

What are the "top line plasma" TVs? Everyone raved about Pioneer, but they're gone. What's left?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 471 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted December 06 2010 - 02:47 PM

The top line models are the most expensive ones, including the THX Certified models.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Image fidelity is important but not my only criteria.  My viewing room is bright so I'm concerned about glare. Also will be using for gaming.