JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 11 2009 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcrackers 

Well darn, I was hoping it would be out soon... I guess I am going to order it from the UK!  I just love this show... Too bad today's shows aren't like they used to be!  I read that Jane Connell, and the guy who played the druggist, and Bernard Fox and then the kids are the only ones still living from the show... anyone else that anyone knows of?

Yes, in addition to Jane Connell, Bernie Kopell and Bernard Fox, others who made multiple appearances who are still alive are Steve Franken, Nancy Kovack, Ron Masak, Paul Smith, Art Metrano, Larry D. Mann, Billy Mumy, Fredd Wayne, Danny Bonaduce, Pat Priest and Mary Grace Canfield.

As far as people who made single appearances, I'm not going to even try and count up those, although I know the following are still alive: Raquel Welch (Stewardess), Tom Bosley (Ferdie), Richard Dreyfus (Rodney), Johnny Whittaker (Jack), Francine York (Venus), Billie Hayes (Fairy Tale Witch), Ted Foulkes (Little Larry Tate), Deacon Jones (Castle Guard) and Don Marshall (Keith from "Sisters at Heart").  There are others no doubt.

#22 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 11 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info... yea I forgot about all those too... I love Jane Connell though... did she just wear makeup in those episodes? Because she looked much older in some of the episodes she did like Martha and Mother Goose...she would have been in her early 40s then...  I hate that most of the cast is dead... I would have loved it if they had gotten to do a reunion for BW... it was such a classic...  I still wonder what season 9 would have been like if Liz decided to come back... And I wonder who the new character would have been because I read that they were going to introduce a new character if season 9 went into production... I think it would have been great to see Adam and Tabitha's powers progress and see what kind of mischief they would have gotten into... I do, however, think Larry Tate was onto Sam's witchcraft by the end of season 7 especially when Dr. Bombay was present and when he saw Esmeralda and Ferdie disappear... What do you guys think?

Liz finally got her star in 2008

#23 of 118 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted December 11 2009 - 11:11 AM

I ADORE Jane Connell.  She's a fabulous actress.  I was lucky enough to see her on Broadway in "Crazy for You."  Loved her in the movie Mame as well.  I think my fave BW performance of hers is Hepzibah.

It still angers me that the Museum of Broadcasting (as it was known in the old days) did not consider BW "important" enough to have one their annual William S. Paley Festival renuions back when most of the major cast members were still alive. Now they do it for every old and new show, and are REPEATING some shows (they just did their SECOND "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" tribute last year).  What a lost opportunity.

#24 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 11 2009 - 12:18 PM

Did any of you watch the soap Passions? JE Reilly played homage to BW a lot in this soap that ran from 1999-2008... DR. Bombay played a few episodes as well as Esmeralda.... also they had a witch named Tabitha who gave birth to a daughter named Endora and Tabitha's the witch on Passions parents were a mortal named Darrin and a witch named Samantha... they also at one time had a nosy nurse named Nurse Kravitz... lol  The show did a lot of BW tidbits and it was just a hoot to watch.  Jame Reilly also played homage to Psycho by having an ax crazed Norma Bates which was a take on Norman Bates.  I am guessing Mr. Reilly was a big fan of BW too...

#25 of 118 bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted December 11 2009 - 10:22 PM

Not to get way off track but on Passions, when they first intro'd the Norma Bates character with the knife,  they used some background music from the original DARK SHADOWS series.

BACK TO BEWITCHED:  While I have always liked Endora, I wish they had used Maurice more than they did.  Talk about two sides of a coin!!

Was it ever stated whether Serena was a cousin form Maurice's or Endora's side of the family????

Also, picked up the TABITHA set for $3 a while back.  Easy to see why it never made it past season one!!!

#26 of 118 Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcrackers View Post

Did any of you watch the soap Passions? JE Reilly played homage to BW a lot in this soap that ran from 1999-2008... DR. Bombay played a few episodes as well as Esmeralda.... also they had a witch named Tabitha who gave birth to a daughter named Endora and Tabitha's the witch on Passions parents were a mortal named Darrin and a witch named Samantha... they also at one time had a nosy nurse named Nurse Kravitz... lol  The show did a lot of BW tidbits and it was just a hoot to watch.  Jame Reilly also played homage to Psycho by having an ax crazed Norma Bates which was a take on Norman Bates.  I am guessing Mr. Reilly was a big fan of BW too...

In Season's 5 #161 "Mrs.Stephens Where are you" after being asked my Mrs.Stephen's as to which side of Samantha's family she came from, Serena stated she was on Maurice's side of the family. Larry Tate :)

#27 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 09:48 AM

Yes thats true as I always thought she was Uncle Arthur's daughter, but we found out Cousin Henry was Arthur's son right?  I often wondered if they meant to use Paul Lynde for that episode, but he may have been unavailable so they use Steve Franken instead... it would have been nice if they would have used him as a regular because he has hilarious.  Especially when he played the part of the banker and the pink elephant LOL...  They just don't make shows like that anymore... My friends poke fun at me because I just love older sitcoms and movies... I am glued to AMC... I watch all the great classics from the 20s-80s and they just love todays movies and sitcoms...lol

By the way which side of the family was Aunt Clara on? I am assuming she was a great aunt... You know it would have been nice if  they introduced a character like Endora's mother was on the show and she actually liked Darrin that would cause a rift between Endora and her mother... lol

#28 of 118 Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 03:55 AM

I love Samantha's Shopping Spree the Season 5 episode you are referring too with Cousin Henry.

I have never heard of it being confirmed as such but i think so as well that it was written for
Paul Lynde who was simply unavailable so they created Cousin Henry in his stead.

At no time was it stated in that or any other episode that Cousin Henry was the son of
Uncle Arthur, so one is left to have to surmise matters on ones own.

Myself i think he was Uncle Arthur's Nephew as i don't believe Uncle Arthur had ever married.

Same thing re Aunt Clara, i think she was an Aunt only but we never know if she was on Endora's or Maurice's side of the family, could have been either one as Maurice was always very fond of her.

My best guess is that she was sister to both Aunt Hagatha & Enchantra as well as Endora.

I know Endora referred to herself as an only child before Uncle Arthur was born but she could have been referring to after her much older sister Aunt Clara had moved out, it is just never clarified.

Steve Franken was a semi-regular in many different roles on Bewitched such as the company executive in #66 & 67 the Follow the Witch two parter, if he had become a semi-regular in one role we would have missed out on many of his great performances in other characters but gained as well in the expanded use of a singular character by him, he was outstanding i thought & one of my favorite re occurring guest stars.

Larry Tate :)

#29 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 06:46 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if Endora had a mother on the show that was in favour of Darrin? LOL that would cause a lot of chaos... In Herbie J Pilato's book they stated that cousin Helen was Darrin's only relative other than his parents, but in Season 8 we met another Cousin in Sam and the Loch Ness Monster... :)  I just love this show...I could watch it all week!!

#30 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 06:47 AM

Thanks Larry Tate for all your info... I love the info you are providing that makes me want to learn more too!

#31 of 118 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 09:07 AM

I always thought Aunt Clara was Endora's aunt, making her Samantha's great aunt. But sometimes Endora and Clara seem more like sisters. Who knows.

I also wonder what Season 9 would have been like. It seems odd to me, thinking about it, because Season 8 was so budget-conscious. They presumably weren't able to afford contract players like Uncle Arthur, the Stephenses and the Kravitzes. So there's reason to believe all those wonderful characters wouldn't have made it onto Season 9 if they'd skipped Season 8 (sadly). Notice however that Tabitha's teacher was shown twice at the end of Season 8, and it looked like they were grooming her to be the next Mrs. Kravitz-type character (she'd totally exposed the witchcraft and left the episode with a few implied threats) so maybe she'd have returned in Season 9 to stir up trouble.  They might have used Agnes Moorehead a little less, if she was beginning to show ailments from her cancer (not sure if it was a long lingering illness for her, or if she passed quite suddenly).  Serena would have continued her many appearances--after all, Liz was right there! Esmeralda would certainly have been around, as well as Larry Tate (although I admit all the ad agency stuff was wearing quite thin by Season 8). And the writers certainly would have showcased the kids more often, continuing the trend from Season 8. That season was broadcast when I was about six, so I loved it when I realized an episode was going to center around Tabitha or Adam. But otherwise, you know--half the supporting cast had already been dropped so if they couldn't afford those actors, it might have seemed rather sad to continue. To this day I can't believe those five characters didn't appear in Season 8! What a waste :(

#32 of 118 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted December 13 2009 - 09:53 AM

No, Aunt Clara specifically stated when she heard about Samantha being pregnant the first time that she was "going to be a Great Aunt."  So she was clearly Samantha's Aunt.  They never stated it, but implied a few times that Aunt Clara was Endora's sister, along with Enchantra and Hagatha.

But of course in those days writers didn't feel the need to make hard and a fast rules of familial relationships or anything else.  They weren't making a documentary, just a weekly sitcom and they frequently used what was advantageous at the moment.  Look at the address change in "How Green Was My Grass."  Check out Endora's flucuating age:  she wasn't born yet when Henry VIII ruled, but had already been married and had Samantha when she was dallying with Sir Walter Raleigh. AND, somehow, she had chaperoned her Aunt Cornelia when she was being painted by Da Vinci, a nearly hundred years BEFORE Henry VIII's reign.  Consistency went out the window when they needed a line or a situation.  People didn't take these things as seriously back then. 

#33 of 118 Larry Tate

Larry Tate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley View Post

I always thought Aunt Clara was Endora's aunt, making her Samantha's great aunt. But sometimes Endora and Clara seem more like sisters. Who knows.

I also wonder what Season 9 would have been like. It seems odd to me, thinking about it, because Season 8 was so budget-conscious. They presumably weren't able to afford contract players like Uncle Arthur, the Stephenses and the Kravitzes. So there's reason to believe all those wonderful characters wouldn't have made it onto Season 9 if they'd skipped Season 8 (sadly). Notice however that Tabitha's teacher was shown twice at the end of Season 8, and it looked like they were grooming her to be the next Mrs. Kravitz-type character (she'd totally exposed the witchcraft and left the episode with a few implied threats) so maybe she'd have returned in Season 9 to stir up trouble.  They might have used Agnes Moorehead a little less, if she was beginning to show ailments from her cancer (not sure if it was a long lingering illness for her, or if she passed quite suddenly).  Serena would have continued her many appearances--after all, Liz was right there! Esmeralda would certainly have been around, as well as Larry Tate (although I admit all the ad agency stuff was wearing quite thin by Season 8). And the writers certainly would have showcased the kids more often, continuing the trend from Season 8. That season was broadcast when I was about six, so I loved it when I realized an episode was going to center around Tabitha or Adam. But otherwise, you know--half the supporting cast had already been dropped so if they couldn't afford those actors, it might have seemed rather sad to continue. To this day I can't believe those five characters didn't appear in Season 8! What a waste :(

Actually Season 8 had the highest budget per episode ever on Bewitched & was somewhat higher then the budget for all other sitcoms of the time due to the requirements of special effects.

The non use of the 5 characters were not do to budgetary constraints in my view, but rather that there were simply never any scripts that required their presence.

As well they had simply done all they could with those characters and had creatively moved on rather then simply repeat themselves, many other high priced guest stars were used instead to give the show a fresh boost, Paul Lynde most likely was simply not available when they might have wanted him for one episode as he was very much in demand at the time.

Sadly Agnes Moorehead was already ill in season 8 & several times was unable to show on the set due to what appeared like a very bad flu at the time but was more.

In fact one time she was threatened by the Producers & Screen Gems in a letter stating in effect that she would be held accountable if she violated her contract in this way, she showed up but was so sick she was sent home.
Her illness was over close to 4 years before she sadly passed.

I agree we would have seen more of Adam & Tabitha as they simply could do more
now that they were older, but Liz never would have allowed the show to become a kids show, so it would have continued to be mainly focused around Darrin & Samantha's Love story & their relationship & the witch world / mortal world battle within that relationship.

I might add that all this talk about flaws & inconsistencies do not hold much water either.
Almost any aspect of what happened on Bewitched could be explained away by the basic premise of the show & was not inconsistent at all.

Example, she is a different age at different point in history, in each point it can be explained away in a consistent manner by the simple use of time travel.

Such as for example she is born in 1500 AD lets say, yet we hear she was 200 years old in 1200 AD, this can be explained in a consistent manner that in 1700 AD she went back in time to 1200 AD and at that point in time was 200 years old 200 years prior to her birth & she may lived there for several hundred more years before moving forward further in time.

Same thing with spells being reversible, as all spells are not the same depending on the type used, the power of the witch enveloped, the intent by them & the reason it is cast all effects the outcome & what the nature of the magical reality is in each instance when it is done, & there is a great range in the type & their effect
and in how they can be manipulated by a third witchly party or not, so that explains why sometimes a spell was reversible & sometimes not.

My view is that when Aunt Clara referred to herself as a great Aunt in the context that she did that she was referring to quality not a relationship specific so to speak,but i do believe she was Samantha's Aunt.

Larry Tate :)

#34 of 118 Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor   Consistency went out the window when they needed a line or a situation.  People didn't take these things as seriously back then.  
That's for sure! I bet the writers never dreamed that we would someday own personal VCRs, let alone DVRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley 

But otherwise, you know--half the supporting cast had already been dropped so if they couldn't afford those actors, it might have seemed rather sad to continue. To this day I can't believe those five characters didn't appear in Season 8! What a waste :(
Yes, I missed the Kravitzes and Darrin's folks, too. I guess the longer an actor is on the show, the more money it costs when renegotiating their contracts.
Another example: During the last season of "That Girl," Ann Marie's mother also didn't make any appearances.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#35 of 118 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green 

That's for sure! I bet the writers never dreamed that we would someday own personal VCRs, let alone DVRs.

Exactly.  In addition to the Stephenses' address changing when needed, check out the number of times the Kravitzes' living room changed.  Are we supposed to believe that old retired couple gutted their house on a semi-annual basis and redid it completely? LOL!  In one ep Sam and Darrin's first date was at La Bella Donna, in another they ate at Horn and Hardat's because Darrin forgot to make reservations at The Lobster.  But people didn't care about inconsequential things like that back then, and no one imagined they be studied on multiple repeat viewings. And then analyzed as if they were all part of a grand scheme on the part of the makers in order to make the inconsistencies fit.  It's simply the nature of production in this industry, and it's a part of every series' history to some degree.  Try and get a consistent length of marriage for either the Ricardos or the Mertzes! LOL!

#36 of 118 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor 

Exactly.  In addition to the Stephenses' address changing when needed, check out the number of times the Kravitzes' living room changed.  Are we supposed to believe that old retired couple gutted their house on a semi-annual basis and redid it completely? LOL!  In one ep Sam and Darrin's first date was at La Bella Donna, in another they ate at Horn and Hardat's because Darrin forgot to make reservations at The Lobster.  But people didn't care about inconsequential things like that back then, and no one imagined they be studied on multiple repeat viewings. And then analyzed as if they were all part of a grand scheme on the part of the makers in order to make the inconsistencies fit.  It's simply the nature of production in this industry, and it's a part of every series' history to some degree.  Try and get a consistent length of marriage for either the Ricardos or the Mertzes! LOL!
It's true, because Samantha could always truthfully swear she had a dalliance with King Henry the 8th; we all saw it! (even though it happened before she was born). But to this day, sitcoms (not to mention dramas) seemingly forget little bits of continuity that crept up--relative's names, dates and so on. "Serial" shows such as Heroes and Lost try to remain more consistent, but even they make boo-boos from time to time.

I'd always wondered just how ill Agnes had been during Season 8. She showed up a lot, but there's some scripts that seem to require her presence...and she wasn't there. For example the next-to-last episode seemed to be an "Endora" script, yet she was absent. I think it was written for her, but all her lines had to go to Reta Shaw instead (not a problem--I love Reta Shaw!) Agnes did look quite well in the last episode, however. She seemed to be in fine form and had a lot of energy in that one, ending the series on a high note. It's also very nice to recall that the very last thing you see in Bewitched is Darren and Samantha re-declaring their love for another and ending with a kiss ;)

#37 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 11:53 AM

I think in Season 9 they would have had Ms. Peabody as Tab's third grade teacher or perhaps a new character ... I always thought they should have introduced a ghost to stir up trouble for Sam like in Season 8... that would have been a hoot... and Liz playing Serena more in Season 9 would have been fun... Lynde was in another show that's why he wasn't in season 8...as for the Kravitz's and the elder parents I am not sure... but I would have loved to see Adam in pre school doing some fun stuff...I think he would have been more like his dad... I think if Season 9 were filmed I would have liked to see Darrin and Sam take a cross country trip like visit Chicago, LA, DC, NYC and Miami just to name a few...  I think Larry was onto Sam's witchcraft by the end of season 7, but season 9 would have been just as funny... Many people do not give season 8 enough credit, however, I think it's one of the best... but my favourite seasons are 7 and 8... I can re-watch them over and over... I just wish there were more episodes for season 8.  I think it would have been kinda cool if Sam got a job and had some situations there since 1973 was around the time of women's lib.  Many people say Liz changed over the seasons, but we have to remember that after 8 years of marriage the new wears off and it's like any typical marriage.  According to Pilato's book, Bewitched was going to be renewed for three more seasons after the 1972 season which would have lasted until 1975.  Unfortunately Agnes Morehead passed on April 30, 1974 of cancer so the 9th and 10th seasons she probably would have been seen less.  I think the show could have lasted until the 10th season which would have been 1974, but after Endora's passing it wouldn't work.  But, I am glad Liz did other projects like "The Victim".... that was good... I think she just got tired of playing good natured Samantha and that's why she enjoyed playing the misbehaving Serena.

If you were to write 26 episodes for Season 9 what would you guys write? LIke what storylines?  I often wanted an Easter Bunny storyline, like Sam and the Easter Bunny... And I agree I did miss Mrs. Kravitz in the last season, however they were mentioned in "Three Men and a Witch on a Horse".

#38 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 12:00 PM

The first episode of season 9 if I was a writer would be Sam and Darrin's 9th anniversary honeymoon with Serena and Endora wrecking it lol... or even Maurice causing problems... I just love Liz's long hair during this time... I would have gave them a trip on set to Chicago or Miami and if were the producers I would shoot on location across the nation like they did in Salem... I always liked how Mr. Asher did that... By the way he is still alive as far as I know... He always speaks highly of Liz...  

#39 of 118 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 01:06 PM

I missed Mrs. Kravitz ever since Sandra Gould took over the role.  It was such a different character, more life Dr. Bellows on IDOJ.  I miss the sweeter Gladys who seemed to be more willing to be friends with the Stephenses, despite her doubts about what she always saw going on.  Plus, Alice Pearce was just so funny.  Sandra played it so nastily at times.

#40 of 118 Jdcrackers

Jdcrackers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted December 14 2009 - 02:36 PM

yeah Sandra Goulds character was a bit more crass i do believe... i really wish Sony would announce the Complete Series soon... I am getting tired of waiting... I guess I am gonna have to order off of Amazon.com.uk   I am going to get the B & W seasons this Christmas because my mother likes those... does anyone know if Bewitched is available in Blue Ray?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users