Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Treatment: Better diffusion or absorption?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Marcus Brenneke

Marcus Brenneke

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 02:12 AM

Hi all,
I am planning an home theater in a dedicated room that will be built on purpose (7x5m / 21x15'); I've read lot of things about acoustics and acoustic treatment, but usually suited for stereo systems.
Well, I think that corners lower frequencies treatment (for reducing room resonance problems) should be the same, but I would like to know if there are specific rules for home theaters, first of all if for main reflection case are more appropriate absorbing devices (like perforated panels and tube traps) or diffuser devices (quadratic residue / diffractal, rpg).
Anyone can tell me where to find information or if subsist some specific/requirements just for home theaters?

I look for this on the forum but I couldn't find it, I hope to have not written about an already discussed topic.
Many thanks, regards.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   DBeistel

DBeistel

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 01:30 PM

Look at this site and send Bryan an e-mail he is very helpful and will be able to help you and answer your questions.

GIK Acoustics.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted May 26 2009 - 12:25 PM

Hi Marco.

A very good book on this topic is "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget" by F. Alton Everest. (This guy wrote the definitive Master Acoustics Handbook).

The book has some background information about room acoustics then about a dozen plans/ideas for sound studios, and 3 for home theater.

In general - most living rooms dont have quite the same issues as dedicated Movie rooms because the walls are often broken up by windows, doors, furniture.

Diffuser panels at the main reflection spots can be used for bigger rooms with un-broken walls. Absorber panels can also be bought or made, but these are much thicker and have lower spousal acceptance factors.

Remember that home theater is more about IMPACT while music is about accuracy. Optimizing the subwoofer position and perhaps charting the room response at subwoofer frequencies can often give you the best return for your time and money. For a while - everyone was ga-ga over a "Behringer Feedback Destroyer" which is a parametric equalizer that can be used to tame peaks in the subwoofer reflections to smooth things out.

Hope this helps.