What's new

Converted garage home theater/game room acoustic treatments (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
The wife and I are purchasing a new home which has a converted 2 car garage that will used as a home theater/game room. Obviously it's going to need some acoustic treatment, being nearly square. Primary use of the space will be as a home theater/gaming room(It's just the wife and I). But will also be a gathering spot for entertaining with the adjoining patio area. I plan to put a small bourbon bar in one corner and my home office in another. The wife is not going to let me fully panel the room for acoustics, as we all know would take multiple panels on each wall and ceiling. But if you had to choose a few key placements, what are you thoughts? I'll be using a 5.1 system centered in the space. Facing the TV, the exterior entrance door will be on right wall, french doors on the left leading to patio, and door behind and over right shoulder leading into the house.
I'm thinking panels behind LCR speakers, curtains over french doors and exterior door on these side walls, with possibly an additional panel if needed, and a panel at each primary reflective point on rear wall. Basically, as few panels as it takes to somewhat do the job....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a feeling that proper treatment will be different from what you expect.

It's not really my field, but it's right up @Dave Upton 's alley. Hopefully he can provide some direction.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Kevin,

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan already. Try to put your panels on the first reflection point between you and the speaker (where a mirror on the wall would show you the speaker).

Other than that, the only thing I'd try to do is use thicker panels in a few spots (6") or put a corner trap or 2 in to help tame standing waves and improve bass response. GIK acoustics will do a free room consult for you if you send them a drawing and some photos. This is a really great service that I highly recommend!

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan already. Try to put your panels on the first reflection point between you and the speaker (where a mirror on the wall would show you the speaker).

Other than that, the only thing I'd try to do is use thicker panels in a few spots (6") or put a corner trap or 2 in to help tame standing waves and improve bass response. GIK acoustics will do a free room consult for you if you send them a drawing and some photos. This is a really great service that I highly recommend!
Awesome. Thanks for the reply and recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks