-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and True Romance (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,561 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 09:39 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,782 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 10 2009 - 10:35 AM

I'll be grabbing True Romance.

#3 of 25 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 10 2009 - 11:20 AM

Robin Hood for me.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 25 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
True Romance, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Blu-ray Bound
February 10, 2009

Joining Falling Down on Blu-ray May 26 and timed with Father's Day will be two more Warner catalog male favorite films: the extended cut of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and the director's cut of True Romance.

Each film will be presented in widescreen 1080p video and likely, though not confirmed, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio.

Given both of these films have already received lavish DVD treatments in recent years it comes as no surprise that the Blu-ray versions are packed with bonus features. The complete breakdown for each title is as follows.

True Romance (Director's Cut)

Commentary by Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette
Commentary by Tony Scott
Commentary by Quentin Tarantino
Selective Commentary: Val Kilmer, Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt, Michael Rapaport
Original 1993 EPK Featurette - During the this featurette a heart icon will appear on the screen which allows viewers to click enter taking them into another small featurette once the pod is over the original featurette will continue where it was left off
Deleted and Extended Scenes with Optional commentary by the Director
At The Movies (3:28)
Heroes For Sale (2:05)
He Really Loved Her (1:20)
Coming Clean (5:08)
"We Know What Were Doing" (2:17)
Playing "What If?" (RT 1:59)
Elliots Motivation (RT 1:12
Alternate Ending with optional commentary by the Director and Writer (6:21)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Extended Edition)

Commentary with Kevin Costner and Director Kevin Reynolds
Commentary with Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater and producers Pen Densham and John Watson
Robin Hood: The Man, The Myth, The Legend (31:44)
One on One with the Cast
Kevin Costner (3:54)
Morgan Freeman (4:22)
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (3:42)
Christian Slater (3:41)
Alan Rickman (3:12)
Bryan Adams "(Everything I do I do it) For You" -Live At Slane Castle (4:14)
Trailers
Theatrical Trailer (2:30)
A Legend (0:30)
A Legend (0:10)
A Love Story (0:30)
A love Story (0:10)
Fight for Justice (0:30)
Fight For Justice (0:10)
Music Soundtrack Cues in 5.1 (Play all option)
Overture and a Prisoner of the Crusades
Sir Guy of Gisborne and the Escape to Sherwood
Little John and the Band in the forest
The Sheriff and His Witch
Maid Marian
Training-Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Marian at the Waterfall
The Abduction and the final Battle at the Gallows
Warner has priced each title at $28.99 in line with their other catalog films on Blu-ray. Amazon pre-order information will be published as soon as the listing goes up.
Posted Image
http://www.thehdroom....ray_Bound/4251

#5 of 25 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 11:49 AM

catalog titles (decent ones at that) are now rolling out at a nice pace

too nice for my wallet at current prices though

#6 of 25 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 11:50 AM

Ron or mod please delete
didn't see it was already covered/posted
http://www.hometheat....e-blu-ray.html

#7 of 25 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 12:53 PM

Robin Hood all the way!!!!!! Now bring on Dances With Wolves, Field of Dreams, and Bull Durham and my Classic Costner collection will be complete!

#8 of 25 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 01:12 PM

One thing that Blu-ray doesn't seem to be improving on.......ugly, unimaginative cover art.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 25 Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 01:29 PM

Where is the theatrical of Robin Hood? The extended edition sucks. The filmakers made an inexcusable editing mistake in putting back in all this deleted footage. Two of the major scenes they put back into Robin Hood had to do with the Sheriff of Nottingham cutting out his scribe's tongue, the first when he gets a knife to do it, and the second is a long scene in which the scribe has to write down every question now because he can't speak (because his tongue has been cut out!). Fine, but then near the end of the movie, when Robin and Azeem are sword fighting their way into the castle, Robin grabs the scribe and puts his sword to his neck and asks him where the maid Marion is. The scribe then VERBALLY responds "Up the stairs, that way!" This final scene was in the original cut and stayed in the extended DVD version, but it makes no sense given the inclusion of the extended scenes in which the scribe's tongue was cut out! This is an inexcuseably horrible editing mistake. I listened to both the commentaries on the DVD to see if anybody noticed this problem or addressed it, and their is no comment about this. Now come on guys, next time when you want to add more footage in, make sure it logically flows into the rest of the original movie! The theatrical edition is my wifes favorite movie but we wont be buying this unless also contains the theatrical release. We are really bummed.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#10 of 25 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 01:59 PM

good news
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#11 of 25 EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 02:17 PM

what? no theactrical cut for robin hood? sorry warner... i skip this one unless you release the t.c. too.

#12 of 25 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 10 2009 - 03:19 PM

Morgan Creek probably has say over which cut(s) of Robin Hood make it to Home Video rather than Warner proper.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 25 Samcor

Samcor

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 03:46 PM

I agree, my preference is for the theatrical version. The extended edition tarnished my enjoyment of the film so much that I was almost considering buying the original prince of thieves dvd that was a flipper with an even worse transfer. At least it was the theatrical version!!

#14 of 25 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 03:50 PM

Definitely buying True Romance. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#15 of 25 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 04:58 PM

Thank good ness TR is not Paramount. Otherwise we'd have the original theatrical version of TR first....

Posted Image

#16 of 25 stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 08:48 PM

Looking forward to True Romance (one of my favourite films).I did notice that it says under the cover that the art is subject to change.I wish they could use the original poster art,I don't think any release has used it.

Posted Image

#17 of 25 stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 08:49 PM

Looking forward to True Romance (one of my favourite films).I did notice that it says under the cover that the art is subject to change.I wish they could use the original poster art,I don't think any release has used it.

Posted Image

#18 of 25 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 10:45 PM

Excellent. True Romance for sure.

I've cooled down on Robin Hood POT over the years. I liked it much more then than I do now.
Death before Streaming!

#19 of 25 Loregnum

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 12:51 AM

True Romance!?!? Wooooooooooooooooow, I am so happy right now. This is one of my top 5 favs.

Warner better not screw up the video though. hehehe

#20 of 25 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 01:33 AM

both robin hood and dances with wolves will be on HDnetmovies.com
march 7th, 2009
a kevin costner double feature.

Jacob

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Closed Captions - New for March!
Rating: PG-13
Year: 1991
Cast:Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
Director: Kevin Reynolds
Synopsis: Robin Hood returns from the Crusades to find his father murdered and his city under the rule of a maniacal sheriff. With the help of his merry men, Robin becomes an outlaw in order to set things right.
Run Time: 2:23
Air Dates:Sat, Mar 7th - 9:00 PM ET / 6:00 PM PT
Sun, Mar 8th - 4:30 AM ET / 12:30 AM PT

Dances With Wolves - Closed Captions
Rating: PG-13
Year: 1990
Cast:Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, Graham Greene
Director: Kevin Costner
Synopsis: Academy Award winning film about a young Civil War soldier assigned to an isolated army post out west where he becomes intimately involved with a Lakota Sioux tribe, eventually becoming a member.
Run Time: 3:54
Air Dates:Sat, Mar 7th - 5:00 PM ET / 2:00 PM PT
Sat, Mar 7th - 11:30 PM ET / 8:30 PM PT