-

Photo
- - - - -

Firefox question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 04:05 AM

I'm using Firefox on my iMac. Whenever I launch it the Firefox window opens and takes up my entire screen. I would like to set the default window size much smaller for Firefox (and beginning location too) but I can't seem to find how to do this. Does anyone here know?

Also - is there an easier way to switch between applications in Mac? I am constantly moving around my windows looking for the menu bar of other applications 'hiding' below them.... There must be n easier way.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,506 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 05 2009 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Also - is there an easier way to switch between applications in Mac? I am constantly moving around my windows looking for the menu bar of other applications 'hiding' below them.... There must be n easier way.
Command (AKA Apple) + Tab. Hold down Command as you tap Tab and you will cycle through your apps left to right. If you want to move the other direction (e.g. if you overshoot), tap Tilde (the key above Tab) and you will go right to left. You can also select the app with your mouse.

This is equivalent to Alt-Tab on Windows.

You can also press F9 for "Exposé," which gives you an exploded view of all open application windows. Use the mouse to select the one you want.

Quote:
I'm using Firefox on my iMac. Whenever I launch it the Firefox window opens and takes up my entire screen. I would like to set the default window size much smaller for Firefox (and beginning location too) but I can't seem to find how to do this. Does anyone here know?
To resize the window, go the lower right corner and there are a series of diagonal hash marks. Click and drag on that to resize and reposition as needed. The next time Firefox opens it should remember that size and position.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 05 2009 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_L

Eric, you would really benefit from taking some time to learn OS X Posted Image It took me a month to make the transition -- I was grumbling the whole time -- but once I did, I found I have no desire to turn back. OS X is easier in many ways, but it's still a complex system and requires the user to learn the tools for best performance.

* Alt-Tab (better than Windows, as its clickable)
* Expose (don't forget the reveal-desktop variant! Beats the stuffing out of Windows show desktop "tool")
* Spaces (so-so, but handy at times)
* The great add-on, Witch

I believe Firefox launches at whatever size it is when closed. I've not seen the behavior you're describing.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 08:58 AM

You can also switch apps by clicking on the apps' icon in the Dock. (Not unlike Windows' task bar, except here you're choosing an app, not a window. To choose among multiple windows for an app, right-click on the icon in the Dock.) Of course, this works better if the Dock is always visible, and not set to auto-hide.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
Command (AKA Apple) + Tab. Hold down Command as you tap Tab and you will cycle through your apps left to right. If you want to move the other direction (e.g. if you overshoot), tap Tilde (the key above Tab) and you will go right to left. You can also select the app with your mouse.

left to right? Left to right of what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
To resize the window, go the lower right corner and there are a series of diagonal hash marks. Click and drag on that to resize and reposition as needed. The next time Firefox opens it should remember that size and position.
It doesn't - now what?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 03:05 PM

What version are you using?

Do you have any add-ons?

There are scattered comments about this problem on Windows & OS X, going back to version 1 - and including Beta 3. You may be suffering a spurious Firefox bug.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 03:10 PM

Quote:

It doesn't - now what?

Instead of clicking the firefox window to remove it, try actually quitting the app then re-launch. I'm guessing, but Firefox does remember the last size after you quit the app.

From the top Firefox menu (next to the apple icon) Quit Firefox

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,506 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 05 2009 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
Here's a video tutorial of the Application Switcher (he's a little rough in the beginning but bear with him). He also says to press Command-Tab-Shift to reverse direction, but Command-Tilde does the same thing and is easier to execute.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts

Posted January 06 2009 - 12:52 AM

Quote:

It doesn't - now what?
Command-Tab is quite similar to Alt-Tab in windows, but perhaps you've never used Alt-Tab in Windows. Hold Command and press and release the Tab key. It brings up an overlay rectangle with the icons of all running applications, with the "next" program selected. Releasing Command brings that application to the fore. If instead, Tab was tapped again, the selector would move to the right, selecting the next application icon. Successive taps of Tab successively select icons along the overlay, to the right. Alt-Shift-Tab moves the selector "backwards", to the left.

Also, while holding the icon overlay is visible, the mouse can be used to click and select a program icon.

Command-Tilde has a related but different behavior. Command-Tab only cycles through open applications. Command-Tilde cycles through open Windows. Since an application can have many windows, some of which might be hidden under other applications, this is a way to get to those in a more fine-grained way that Command-Tab does.

If Command Tilde is useful, then you should download Witch (that I mentioned earlier), as it improves on this behavior substantially.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow