-

Photo
- - - - -

Revisiting restored titles

Robert Harris

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted November 29 2008 - 11:33 PM

With the advances in technology over the past 15 to 20 years, would the films that went through the restoration process in the 90's benefit from being revisited? (Thinking of titles like South Pacific, Spartacus, Oklahoma etc.) Or, would any improvement not be justified by the cost involved?

Thanks, Brian

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,510 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 09:20 AM

Yes, and in most cases the cost is justified.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,380 posts

Posted December 05 2008 - 08:26 AM

If your My Fair Lady restoration were released today on BluRay, would it look 100% the way you want it to, or would you want to make another pass at it?

For my part, the only things about the restoration that bug me are minor things that were probably the fault of limited dvd storage capacity (I'm getting so used to BluRay, that older dvds are looking worse and worse to me no matter what lol)

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,510 posts

Posted December 05 2008 - 08:37 AM

Via digital technology, we now have the ability to fix a few minor points pertaining to image and defective sep masters. Audio could also be re-visited, as our tracks were (of necessity) derived from well used mags. We could do better today.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,380 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 08:10 AM

Yes, it's hard to believe that it actually wasn't restored digitally with today's methods. It still does look good on my SD version; upconverting does make it look a little better. I'm just saying I'm curious to hear it on bluray, uncompressed. And I also hope that if they put it on BluRay (inevitable), that they don't make a move without your input!!!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   in2video2

in2video2

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 11:54 PM

Absolutely agree 100% behind being a part of the original eventual Blu-Ray of My Fair Lady. Hopefully no move will be made without your involvement.