Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Honeymooners Lost Episodes Redux?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 06:32 AM

Hey Everybody!

I'd like to have the complete collection of the Lost Episodes of The Honeymooners......but I've refrained from buying the sets which are/were on the market now, because it would cost a FORTUNE to have all the eps that way...and take up a lot of unnecessary space.

I also see that some of the sets are currently out of print.

Does anybody know if there are any plans to release the complete collection of lost episodes in one set?

I sure hope so. That is something I'd be willing to buy...assuming it were priced reasonably.

(I finally gave away my home-recorded VHSs of the original 39 eps...just so I'd finally force myself to get those at least, on DVD- and as luck would have it, Amazon is finally having a nice sale on the original 39- so this was a win/win situation: I'll get the orig. 39 on DVD for $20...and I made a new HM fan by giving my tapes to a friend who was not familiar with the sho...but she loves it now!)

#2 of 13 Tony S

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 01:55 AM

I would go for this as well. The current sets are way overpriced for their running times.

#3 of 13 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 08:24 AM

I would love to see the lost episodes from the 50s released in chronological order. I would love to see all the other footage from The Jackie Gleason Show that each sketch was a part of included as well; the June Taylor dancers; the Gleason monologue; sketches with other characters if that particular episode has it. I bet all these sketches could be cleaned up and be made to look much better than they did when they were first released to syndication 20+ years ago. I just wish a more reputable company had the rights to the lost episodes; MPI is terrible. For their DVD releases of the lost episodes, they just basically transferred their old VHS tapes to DVD; nothing special was done at all.

#4 of 13 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 09:48 AM

I'd just like to say that I'm a huge HONEYMOONERS fan - and that includes the "Lost Episodes". It's a shame that so many fans deny themselves these lesser-known skits, as they're very funny in their own way. You know, there is a lot more to laugh at than just the usual "Classic 39", folks!

Anyway - I have all of the "Lost Honeymooners" MPI sets on DVD (over 20 volumes). I'm happy to have them, but I agree there should be something more special and definitive done with these episodes. I'd really love for MPI to put them in chronological order and in a much more concise and all-inclusive package.

#5 of 13 RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 10:05 AM

Chronological order should indeed be a given!

I wouldn't care so much whether they cleaned the lost eps up or not (It'd probably be a very expensive undertaking, since many if not all were shot on kinescope)- I enjoyed even the really badly-deteriorated ones just as much as the nice clean original 39's...kinda makes ya feel like you're back there in the 50's watching on an old B&W TV)

I can't believe they haven't put out a good, chronological (and affordable) Lost Eps set yet! What a way to treat such a great and beloved show!

It'd be interesting to see the othjer Jackie G;leason show material too, as Jdee suggests- but perhaps sold seperately...otherwise the Lost Eps set would beHUGE and cost a fortun (Weren't there about 200 lost eps?)

#6 of 13 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 02:43 PM

There are still 6 -7 Color episodes of THE JACKIE GLEASON show with "Honeymooner" skits (As apposed to full hour "Honeymooner" shows) That haven't been seen since the 1960's.

#7 of 13 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,002 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 02:48 PM

I'd like to add my vote for complete "Jackie Gleason Shows." If we can't have that, then the Honeymooners sketches in chronological order -- they should have released those years ago!

And what about that final season, 1956-57 ... none of them have ever been on home video, have they?

#8 of 13 Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
I'd like to add my vote for complete "Jackie Gleason Shows." If we can't have that, then the Honeymooners sketches in chronological order -- they should have released those years ago!

And what about that final season, 1956-57 ... none of them have ever been on home video, have they?

I'd love to see a lost Honeymooners redux and full Gleason shows. I still have a lot of the MPI VHS's of the lost episodes. Even if they did new transfers through the quality improvement would be minimal due to the fact these are all kinescopes.

#9 of 13 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers
I'd love to see a lost Honeymooners redux and full Gleason shows. I still have a lot of the MPI VHS's of the lost episodes. Even if they did new transfers through the quality improvement would be minimal due to the fact these are all kinescopes.

Yes, but check out the recent release of Elvis Presley's appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. They were cleaned up with a process called "live feed" and from what I have watched, you'd practically think you're watching it on live TV!

#10 of 13 Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Y
Yes, but check out the recent release of Elvis Presley's appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. They were cleaned up with a process called "live feed" and from what I have watched, you'd practically think you're watching it on live TV!

I think those were on videotape as opposed to the filmed Kinescopes of the lost Honeymooners. But if the process worked on filmed Kinescopes that would be great!

#11 of 13 Sky King

Sky King

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted September 04 2008 - 09:41 PM

Michael,

The Ed Sullivan episodes featuring Elvis Presley were from 1956 and 1957 and were filmed not videotaped.
The Live Feed process gives a filmed show a "live" look resembling videotape.
" In God we trust...all others pay cash." (Jean Shepherd)

#12 of 13 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Yes, where is that B/W "Trip to Europe" season? I'd love to see the originals, having seen the color remakes from a decade later.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#13 of 13 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 09:37 AM

A poster on another board mentions that they were 103 Honeymooners sketches done on the Jackie Gleason Show from 1952-1957. Only 76 of those have been released on DVD. For a list of what has never been released, see:

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - View Single Post - Need (AIR DATE) Accuracy on Missing Episodes

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow