What's new

The Avengers: The Emma Peel Collection (1965-1967) – Imprint Television #3 Unboxing (2 Viewers)

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
Still no sign of any New Avengers set(s) yet. Surely Studiocanal aren't waiting for 2026 for the 50th anniversary. And i suspect that Joanna Lumley won't contribute much to any release (I dont think she did anything for the Ab Fab DVD sets)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Still no sign of any New Avengers set(s) yet. Surely Studiocanal aren't waiting for 2026 for the 50th anniversary. And i suspect that Joanna Lumley won't contribute much to any release (I dont think she did anything for the Ab Fab DVD sets)
when it doubt, consult the Gypsies!!
happy oh yeah GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
There's no possible way TNA will ever be remastered. There are too many cooks in the kitchen, all asking for an impossible share price. It won't, ever be in High-Def, unless some kind of low level price is reached between all producing parties, that make doing new scans possible.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
You failed to mention there is a lot of gate weave in several episodes including the Man Eating Plant which is pretty annoying because of the constant horizontal shift in the image. I'll agree, much of the set is primo. But the episodes that suffer from this weave are horrendous viewing experiences, in spite of the crystal clear image quality.
I had the Studio Canal UK blu-ray discs but only watched a couple episodes because I didn't like using my region-free player. I got rips of the Studio Canal (German) set which I assume are the same, but never watched them. Checking the Man Eating Plant episode, I can see the horizontal jitter at almost every edit. For that reason, I'm not sure it's gate weave. The same problem occurred on most episodes in Network's "Four Just Men" dvd set, which made it annoying to watch. If this is frequent on the Avengers set, I guess it was good that I got rid of my discs, and saves me from getting the Imprint set, although ultimately disappointing.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Very nostalgic show, I have the StudioCanal Season 4 which for me is the high watermark of The Avengers. Shot on film on location rather than in a tv studio, great new theme. It looks so stylish in b & w. A lot of people prefer Season 5/6 in colour but many of the interior sets (in common with other British shows of the period) look obvious and cheap.

I didn't much care for TNA, it lacked the style and panache of the 1960's show. Steed and Mrs Peel rule!

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I have the Space:1999 set and it's not region locked. I don't think any of their releases are. They ARE pricey and The Avengers set is out of stock at their website. But if you want the series in restored HD, not region locked and assembling special features from all sorts of prior releases in one spot (and in a beautiful package) this is the set to get. But for 2 seasons, $160 is an enormous amount of money for a vintage title. I have no regrets over the Space:1999 purchase and I consider it the definitive release of the series. Had they included at least the Linda Thorson run (to assemble all of the episodes shot on film), I probably would have gone for it.
For those interested it is available at Amazon and around the same amount as the I print price ($120-140).

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I have the older Blu-ray sets but I just love this series of shows!
I saw they included a few new commentaries.
Yet they do. The Tara King set has the most new commentaries With, as I recall, six or seven new ones, The transfer on the Peel set for the special features are inferior to a transfer error but I usually watch those once. The multiple commentary tracks appeal to me more. The episodes themselves look the same for both the Studio Canal and Imprint release with slightly better clarity, less crush and a very slight uptick in detail due to the better encode and less compression compared to the Lion’s Gate release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I was told by Network years ago that most of the masters for TNA were either lost or in really bad shape and the Last of the Cybernauts?? Would probably be it, as far as remastered episodes
It’s interesting that the last of the cybernauts was on the cybernauts collection.

I’d love to have the new avengers on Blu-ray!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It’s interesting that the last of the cybernauts was on the cybernauts collection.

I’d love to have the new avengers on Blu-ray!
Well there may still be hope. I just saw that Imprint id releasing the box set of the Persuaders, which was a Network title, so you never know?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well there may still be hope. I just saw that Imprint id releasing the box set of the Persuaders, which was a Network title, so you never know?
I just saw this news too! Some new features included too! Tempting! I have the previous network Blu-ray set.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I never did get Network’s 50th anniversary Persuaders set that had the compilation movies, so I’m tempted too! (And getting a Prisoner set to replace my A&E set that has seen better days is on my mind…)

I love the Studio Canal Avengers Blu-rays, so I’m content with them and not the Via Vision sets, but fans who don’t have the Region B SC sets should snatch these up!

I still hold out hope we will get a New Avengers Blu-ray set someday!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks