Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

FOX WESTERNS ON MAY - And The Gunfighter is among them!!!!!


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

#1 of 122 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

    Second Unit



  • 478 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 13 2004

Posted February 13 2008 - 08:57 AM

Mr. Crawford now you can celebrate.
Fox has announced a 3 DISC Western Classics for a 5/13/2008 release.
The titles are:
The Gunfighter
Rawhide
Garden of Evil
List prce is US$ 19,98.

On the same day they will release The Big Trail: Fox Grandeur Special Edition.

Great news for western fans

Source: dvdempire

#2 of 122 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

    Second Unit



  • 312 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 25 2001

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:27 AM

The Big Trail: Fox Grandeur Special Edition

Wonder what this is?

Posted Image Posted Image For The Gunfighter

#3 of 122 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

    Screenwriter



  • 2,168 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2005

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJS
The Big Trail: Fox Grandeur Special Edition

Wonder what this is?
I assume its reffering to the 65mm Grandeur process that the film was shot in.

#4 of 122 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

    Screenwriter



  • 1,526 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 07 2004

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:06 AM

Wow! Finally, the letterboxed version of THE BIG TRAIL!!! Check the imdb.com for the details on the history of this extraordinary film. When it first came out on VHS, I recalled that there were some scenes dubbed in German with English subtitles. Is/was there really a 158 minute 70 mm version? If ever a dvd mandated an historical commentary, this is it!!! Bravo, Fox!!!!
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 122 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

    Producer



  • 4,464 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2003
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:10 AM

I'm right there for every one of these. Well done Fox; fingers crossed for a few well chosen extras.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...


#6 of 122 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,076 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires
Mr. Crawford now you can celebrate.
Fox has announced a 3 DISC Western Classics for a 5/13/2008 release.
The titles are:
The Gunfighter
Rawhide
Garden of Evil
List prce is US$ 19,98.

On the same day they will release The Big Trail: Fox Grandeur Special Edition.

Great news for western fans

Source: dvdempire
There you go....... It doesn't get much better than that from Fox.






Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#7 of 122 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,076 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
I assume its reffering to the 65mm Grandeur process that the film was shot in.
That is the assumption I would make about this release.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#8 of 122 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,076 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I'm right there are every one of these. Well done Fox; fingers crossed for a few well chosen extras.
John,
I'm right there with you.Posted Image





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#9 of 122 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

    Screenwriter



  • 2,168 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2005

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
Is/was there really a 158 minute 70 mm version?
No there wasn't. Both the acadamy ratio and Grandeur versions run 125 minutes.

#10 of 122 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,076 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I'm right there for every one of these. Well done Fox; fingers crossed for a few well chosen extras.
It's still early so more details might come out later, but it doesn't look like there will be any extras for the Western Classics collection. However, we're getting three excellent westerns in a collection with a MSRP of $19.98 which means some of us should be able to get it for $13.99 from places like Amazon.

DVD Empire - Item - Western Classics, The / DVD-Video

Now, "The Big Trail" appears to have some extras including some docs and this release is listed for $19.98 too.

The movie that made John Wayne a star, Raoul Walsh's The Big Trail, comes to DVD for the first time in its original 70 mm Widescreen version. This 2-disc Special Edition featuers both the 70 mm widescreen and the alternative standard fullscreen version, plus three new docs.

DVD Empire - Item - Big Trail, The: Fox Grandeur Special Edition / DVD-Video

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#11 of 122 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

    Second Unit



  • 435 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 07 2007

Posted February 13 2008 - 08:26 PM

Holy cow!!

There goes my DVD out the window Posted Image

Is Rawhide the one with Tyrone Power? I have been having a real Tyrone binge lately.

#12 of 122 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

    Producer



  • 4,796 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 02 2003

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:12 PM

DEAR FOX,

FIRST, THANK YOU FOR THESE RELEASES!!!!!!!


SECOND, PLEASE INCLUDE THE 1957 REMAKE FROM THE 20TH CENTURY FOX HOUR TV EPISODE, "END OF A GUN", AS A SUPPLEMENT TO THE RELEASE OF THE GUNFIGHTER!!!!!!!

THE FILM STARS RICHARD CONTE AND WAS WRITTEN BY SAM PECKINPAH AND IS BOTH OF HISTORICAL INTEREST AND DESERVING OF INCLUSION FOR BOTH OF THESE REASONS. IT IS ALSO A VERY ENJOYABLE FILM!


#13 of 122 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

    Producer



  • 4,796 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 02 2003

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:15 PM

Also very happy that The Big Trail is getting a new release!

#14 of 122 OFFLINE   Opi

Opi

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 135 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 21 2002

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:05 PM

.... MUST ..... RESIST .... THIS ...

I promised my wife to avoid buying any DVDs until my next birthday in october.
How should I survive such a long time without these 4 movies Posted Image ?
This is the result of my addiction
--> http://www.invelos.c...ection.aspx/Opi

#15 of 122 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

    Executive Producer



  • 10,089 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 07 2000

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:20 PM

Finally getting Garden of Evil and Gunfighter is great news. Rawhide is pretty forgettable though.

I don't see anything on DVD Empire to indicate this is a 3 disc set. I'll be less than excited if they're cramming 3 feature length films on a single DVD.
Death before Streaming!


#16 of 122 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

    Producer



  • 4,464 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2003
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:48 PM

I reckon Fox will follow the pattern set by their 'Horror Classics' set - three slimcases inside a slipcase.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...


#17 of 122 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

    Screenwriter



  • 2,371 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2000

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarrison
Is Rawhide the one with Tyrone Power? I have been having a real Tyrone binge lately.

Yes. Very solid movie from what I remember. I'm looking forward to this release.

#18 of 122 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,076 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 13 2008 - 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sheets
Yes. Very solid movie from what I remember. I'm looking forward to this release.
Yes, I actually like it more than "Garden of Evil" with both films having the same director and two of the stars, Hayward and Marlowe.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#19 of 122 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

    Lead Actor



  • 7,632 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2002

Posted February 14 2008 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
It's still early so more details might come out later, but it doesn't look like there will be any extras for the Western Classics collection. However, we're getting three excellent westerns in a collection with a MSRP of $19.98 which means some of us should be able to get it for $13.99 from places like Amazon.

DVD Empire - Item - Western Classics, The / DVD-Video

Now, "The Big Trail" appears to have some extras including some docs and this release is listed for $19.98 too.

The movie that made John Wayne a star, Raoul Walsh's The Big Trail, comes to DVD for the first time in its original 70 mm Widescreen version. This 2-disc Special Edition featuers both the 70 mm widescreen and the alternative standard fullscreen version, plus three new docs.

DVD Empire - Item - Big Trail, The: Fox Grandeur Special Edition / DVD-Video

Awesome news indeed.

Count me in
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#20 of 122 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

    Screenwriter



  • 1,650 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 21 1999
  • Real Name:Peter Fitzgerald

Posted February 14 2008 - 10:41 AM

THE GUNFIGHTER, GARDEN OF EVIL and RAWHIDE? Excellent!! And this is a rare instance of (mild) disagreement with Jim K... RAWHIDE is quite good (hey, Henry Hathaway directed it, so it can't be bad!); a well-handled suspense/western remake of the Fox gangster thriller, SHOW THEM NO MERCY! (1935).

Fox and MGM will certainly have my money in May.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)



Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow