What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Paramount Scares Vol. 1 (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
paramountscares4kuhd3dbty.jpg

Get ready for a season of haunting entertainment with PARAMOUNT SCARES VOL. 1, Paramount Home Entertainment’s inaugural, limited-edition collection of chilling films, arriving October 24, 2023.

Fans can plumb the depths of the horror genre with this collectible box set featuring five unforgettable movies, all in eye-popping 4K Ultra HD, along with over four hours of legacy special features and exclusive collectible items. Housed in deluxe packaging, each of the following films is presented in a special sleeve with artwork exclusive to the collection:

• Rosemary’s Baby (1968)—Newly remastered on 4K Ultra HD, this iconic classic celebrates its 55th anniversary this year. With groundbreaking camerawork and bone-chilling suspense, Rosemary’s Baby gave birth to the modern thriller. Featuring extraordinary performances—including Ruth Gordon in an Oscar®-winning role as an eccentric neighbor—the film received extensive critical praise. Widely considered to be one of the greatest horror films of all time, Rosemary’s Baby was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 2014.

• Bonus Content(on Blu-ray Disc™):

• Rosemary's Baby - A Retrospective
    • Mia and Roman
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • 50th Anniversary "Redband" Trailer
      • Pet Sematary (1989)— Written for the screen by internationally renowned author Stephen King and based on his iconic bestseller, director Mary Lambert’s thrilling Pet Sematary electrified audiences upon its release in 1989, earning more than $57 million to become the highest grossing horror film of the time. The shocking depiction of unspeakable evil was remastered in 4K under the supervision of Lambert using the original film negative

• Bonus Content (on Blu-ray Disc):

• Commentary by director Mary Lambert
        • Pet Sematary: Fear and Remembrance
        • Pet Sematary: Revisitation
        • Stephen King Territory
        • The Characters
        • Filming the Horror
        • Galleries
          • Storyboards Introduction by Mary Lambert
          • Storyboards
          • Behind the Scenes
          • Marketing
            • Smile (2022)—This terrifying and inventive film from writer and director Parker Finn became a true horror phenomenon, earning more than $217 million at the global box office and becoming the #1 original horror movie of 2022. A sequel is in development with Finn set to return as director.
              • Commentary by director Parker Finn
              • Something's Wrong with Rose: Making Smile
              • Flies on the Wall: Inside the Score
              • Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by director Parker Finn
              • Laura Hasn't Slept – Original Short with Introduction by director Parker Finn
                • Crawl (2019)—Produced by Sam Raimi and directed by Alexandre Aja, this unexpected and suspense-filled creature feature took audiences and critics by storm with its story of a father and daughter trying to survive a hurricane beneath a house filling with water…and alligators. With a budget of $13 million, Crawl generated more than $91 million worldwide.
                  • Intro to Alternate Opening (HD)
                  • Alternate Opening (HD)
                  • Deleted and Extended Scenes (HD)
                  • Beneath Crawl (HD)
                  • Category 5 Gators: The VFX of Crawl (HD)
                  • Alligator Attacks (HD)

• Mystery Title—Delivering even more suspense and surprise, the fifth film in the box set is a secret. The fan-favorite movie makes its 4K Ultra HD debut with the release of this collection.

The PARAMOUNT SCARES VOL. 1 Limited-Edition 4K Ultra HD Box Set also boasts collectible items, including an exclusive, full-size Fangoria magazine produced especially for the release. This special edition of the celebrated publication—“first in fright” since 1979—features a curated selection of new and classic articles from the magazine's archives. The set also includes a Paramount Scares enamel pin, unique stickers, and access to a Digital copy of each film.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm guessing the mystery title is The Ring.
If so, that's a pretty high-profile title to keep as the exclusive-to-the-box-set secret: Seems like that's the one they'd be advertising the loudest.

If they are restricting themselves to Paramount titles, The Ring was originally from Dreamworks, though Paramount is distributing it now.

I don't have a better guess, however. My brain is frozen and the only Paramount horror movies I can think of all have the words "Friday the 13th" in the title. 🙃

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
If so, that's a pretty high-profile title to keep as the exclusive-to-the-box-set secret: Seems like that's the one they'd be advertising the loudest.

If they are restricting themselves to Paramount titles, The Ring was originally from Dreamworks, though Paramount is distributing it now.

I don't have a better guess, however. My brain is frozen and the only Paramount horror movies I can think of all have the words "Friday the 13th" in the title. 🙃
I don't disagree that it would be an odd marketing choice, but it would be a fitting gimmick for the film, i.e. the mysterious, unlabeled disc is a proxy for the mysterious, unlabeled video tape.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Universal owns The Ring series when they acquired Dreamworks
Wrong. Paramount retains DreamWorks titles pre-2008 pursuant to the 2006 merger, as a controlling interest in the pre-2006 library was sold off to Dune Entertainmnent and Soros Strategic Partners in 2006, with Paramount retaining worldwide distribution rights. Viacom bought these titles back in 2010 and they are held by Paramount Global as successor-in-interest.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If the blood-spattered placeholder art is a clue, seems like it would have to be a slasher of some sort. I'm not sure The Ring had much of any blood.

The mystery title may be the clincher for me, as there's not much else in that set that speaks to me. I already own Crawl and Pet Sematary on blu-ray and am not sure I need 4K versions. Not really a fan of Rosemary, and Smile just sounds dumb, IMO.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The mystery title is going to be something well kwon, but not Friday The 13th or Scream though.

The Ring is all scares and no gore.

I've been racking my brain these last couple of hours trying to think of other Horror films from Paramount and both Shout/Scream Factory and Kino have already released many titles on both Blu and 4K.

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Wow! Look at Paramount! They're finally treating their horror catalog with respect and not needing a specialty label to bail them out.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Wow! Look at Paramount! They're finally treating their horror catalog with respect and not needing a specialty label to bail them out.

Shout/Scream and Kino have treated Paramount's Horror catalog better than Paramount themselves ever have or ever will.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I was thinking the original Friday The 13th but The Ring is probably a better guess.
The original Friday the 13th already has a 4K release; The "mystery title" is supposed to be a debut.

One possibility that would be of more interest to me than The Ring is The Dead Zone, but since they already have Pet Semetery to represent Stephen King in the set, that one seems unlikely.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For clues, I think we need to look at the decades that aren't represented here: the 70s, the 90s, the 00s and the 10s. Most of the decent 70s horror, including giallo titles, has been released by other labels under licence, and the primo title, Don't Look Now, already has an upcoming 4K release from Criterion. When we jump to the 90s, potential candidates include Jennifer 8 and The Relic [see comments above, plus Paramount didn't produce or release a lot of horror in the 90s]. In the 00s, Zodiac would be my top pick, as there's no 4K release yet, but I believe it may have been finished at 2K given the era; there's also The Uninvited and Paranormal Activity, which would be completely pointless as a 4K release. In the 10s, we have a LOT of found footage, which would not really shine in 4K, but 10 Cloverfield Lane [subject to comments re: 2K DI; it's not really a sequel to Cloverfield] is a possibility.

If it were up to me, it'd be Zodiac, subject to necessary caveats.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
FYI: got an email from Paramount that review copies of this set have been sent. Mine will arrive Monday.

However, they want us to keep the "mystery title" a secret until release date.

I'm betting someone will let the cat out of the bag... but it won't be me! :D

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FYI: got an email from Paramount that review copies of this set have been sent. Mine will arrive Monday.

However, they want us to keep the "mystery title" a secret until release date.

I'm betting someone will let the cat out of the bag... but it won't be me! :D
PMs are welcome. Secrets are my specialty in my line of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks