What's new

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t really understand the logic of “we’d like you to buy our product but won’t tell you what’s actually in it” but hey that’s just me.
I don't want to see it become a trend but weirdly, I find it fun waiting to see what the title is. As great as Rosemary's Baby is, the copy of Fangoria magazine is the most interesting thing in there to me so it's easy for me to sit on the sideline and wait to see what the mystery title is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don’t really understand the logic of “we’d like you to buy our product but won’t tell you what’s actually in it” but hey that’s just me.

I think it was just a gimmick to attract attention.

And I think it worked, as people probably paid more attention to the package than they would've if they knew what the "mystery title" was up front.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And I think it worked, as people probably paid more attention to the package than they would've if they knew what the "mystery title" was up front.
Probably. I looked up the mystery title and if that's true, nothing that really interests me in that entire box.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
There isn't a single film in the list (especially the mystery title) that would make me want this set, even for free. Too bad for those who like ROSEMARY'S BABY that the transfer is so lackluster.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Meaning you think that they're gonna remove Mystery Title now a week before street date?

Even though they've manufactured the discs, put 'em in the box, and sent them to reviewers?

Huh?

Hey, I was just spitballing a theory. :)

With more thought, perhaps the issue is that Paramout is afraid the mystery title won't appeal to the same audience as Pet Semetary or Crawl or Smile, and is trying not to scare away that crowd.

I can see some vague crossover with Rosemary's Baby, in that they're both auteur-driven works by notable filmmakers. But as gory and horror-tinged as it is, I think horror fans looking for a traditional scare-fest might be put off by the singing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I guessed correctly. Do I win a prize?
1697647984279.png

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
While I agree with RAH that the "Baby" 4K isn't really an upgrade over the BD, I do think it looks better than a "2" rating might imply.

I thought the 4K looked a smidgen stronger than the BD.

Could it have looked substantially better? I'll leave that to others to decide.

But I think it's a more than watchable presentation.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I've yet to watch the "mystery title", but of the other 4, I think "Crawl" is the visual stunner.

"Smile" looked murky-ish by design, so 6.5K or not, I didn't love its look.

But "Crawl" just jumps off the screen!

I didn't see the 4K until I got this box, but I'm really impressed by how great it looks in its Dolby Vision incarnation.

Not much of a movie, but it looks terrific! :D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I agree with RAH that the "Baby" 4K isn't really an upgrade over the BD, I do think it looks better than a "2" rating might imply.

I thought the 4K looked a smidgen stronger than the BD.

Could it have looked substantially better? I'll leave that to others to decide.

But I think it's a more than watchable presentation.
Totally watchable. Just appears to be an older transfer, prettied up. Most viewers will find it more than acceptable. Possibly I was just expecting something special for this set, as the packaging and concept are all first class.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Totally watchable. Just appears to be an older transfer, prettied up. Most viewers will find it more than acceptable. Possibly I was just expecting something special for this set, as the packaging and concept are all first class.

So do you think a fresher scan would've made a truly noticeable difference?

Not arguing it wouldn't, but I always had the impression "RB" looked less than "sparkly" by design.

As such, I worked on the feeling that even at its best, it'd still look somewhat flat.

But I could be 100% wrong.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Not arguing it wouldn't, but I always had the impression "RB" looked less than "sparkly" by design.

As such, I worked on the feeling that even at its best, it'd still look somewhat flat.

I believe it could look like a 35mm print. Everything, especially with physical media today is predicated upon budget. Might spending six figures on a totally harvest pay off?

Possibly not.

Is a new DCP called for today. Probably not based upon the filmmaker and social media.

Would I invest in that film w/o a great deal of thought and consultation? Not sure.

The studio may be taking the correct position.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But "Crawl" just jumps off the screen!

I didn't see the 4K until I got this box, but I'm really impressed by how great it looks in its Dolby Vision incarnation.

Not much of a movie, but it looks terrific! :D
I think Crawl is easily the second best movie in the set. I mean it's 'just' a B-movie but it's fun and has some good thrills.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think Crawl is easily the second best movie in the set. I mean it's 'just' a B-movie but it's fun and has some good thrills.
Which one might presume is the concept of the set. Fun scary films. From a certain perspective, Rosemary is almost too high-end a film.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I cannot understand Paramount having the chutzpah to do a new 4K transfer of Rosemary's Baby and include a Blu-ray that has the over a decade old transfer. What is wrong with them? And then to do this set and also include the old transfer. Is anyone awake over there?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

First of all, are you and RAH saying that the 4K of Rosemary's Baby isn't good??? Say what??? They did a new scan and it isn't better than the Blu-ray of old??? And yes, you are 1000% wrong. Rosemary's Baby is a gorgeously photographed film by William Fraker. I still have a 35mm dye transfer print. But someone please tell me how a new 4K scan doesn't look better than the old Blu-ray. I bought the damn 4K disc even though I still haven't moved up to 4K, but just explain it to me, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks