What's new

FOX WESTERNS ON MAY - And The Gunfighter is among them!!!!! (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Nice looking specs for 'The Big Trail', but that artwork looks a little odd; not a 'Cinema Classics Collection' release? As feared, and expected, no extras for the Westerns collection. Oh, well, still looking forward to these.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would bet Dollars AND Donuts that the Fox Western Box will contain copious extras: Look at the Fox Horror Classics Box--there is no mention of extras on either the front or the back of the box and it has commentaries, featurettes, radio adaptations, trailers, and the ubiquitous restoration demos. The frustrating thing about TCF is how modest--if not downright clandestine==they tend to be about their marketing and their bonus features.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Well if they don't have extras, I wasted my time. Several months ago, Nick Redman, Steven Smith, William Stromberg and I did a commentary track on Herrmann's music for this film. I think it was mentioned that there was going to be an isolated music track and some kind of documentary. Yes, I am surprised at the price for three films. I am happily surprised at the low price for this set. Don't hold me to it, but I am pretty sure it will be a 4.0 soundtrack.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
These look great!

I highly doubt that my much campaigned for 'End Of A Gun' will be included int he Cinema Classics set, but it's an excellent promotion none the less and I'm happy they decided to package the films this way. For a top-tier and much in demand western though, I have to assume that Fox would've done better offering The Gunfighter as a standalone purchase as well. The other titles will be less recognizable to average consumers.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Wow, that's very strange. They still appear in my list of backordered items though, so I imagine they will reappear soon.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
It is a strange decision to not issue the highly requested 'The Gunfighter' as a standalone disc but as long as I can get the 3-pack for under $15 I am not complaining !

-D

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Very true. It could've been a Fox Studio Classics or Cinema Classics film.

I too am really happy that it is three great Westerns for so little money. I hope they keep doing more of three film sets like this. However, it is perhaps a clue that the individual westerns they sold in previous years didn't sell particularly well, which is unfortunate, because many of theme have very good transfers.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I meant it is a strong enough film to be released individually. Although this set is using the Cinema Classics name, there aren't any extra features like all the previous Cinema Classics releases.

Perhaps they just haven't been announced yet? But anyway, for this price, as long as Garden of Evil has 4.0 audio I'll be happy.

It sucks that Fox Studio Classics is dead, I loved that series.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I much prefer the newer Cinema Classics series myself and a few of the previously released FSC titles have been transfered over and given more exhaustive treatment and presentation in the new line.

I'm sure there will be more than a few extras that simply haven't been announced yet for the Western Classics. We still haven't seen individual artwork or much details but I can't think of any similar sets that haven't featured bonus material in the series. If it's anything like the Horror Classics set from last year than I'm sure it will be great!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Wow...great, great looking cover for The Big Trail! Totally blows away the current artwork on the 35mm release.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I emailed DVD Pacific, suggesting that perhaps something is wrong with their database, and received this less than helpful reponse:

"If the titles that you are looking for are not there anymore means that we
do not carry them anymore. I just tried to look them up myself and we do not
have them."

Or 'go away customer'...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

My initial reaction was to think it looked like a Criterion cover (similar to Young Mr. Lincoln). Very, very nice, indeed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
True. But it seems to me that the Cinema Classics are more expensive. I'm thinking of Daddy Long Legs, My Blue Heaven, and Island in the Sun, and the Jayne Mansfield boxed set.

I guess I'm just not one for cardboard slip cases that add an extra $4 to the price. :-D

But I can't complain about the pricing of this westerns set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks