Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Guyana Tragedy: The Jim Jones Story

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 12:13 AM

The 1980 telefilm with Powers Boothe as Jim Jones is being released by VCI Entertainment on August 28th. I haven't seen this TV movie since it was first broadcast and remember it to be fairly gripping. Details here:

GUYANA TRAGEDY: THE JIM JONES STORY

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 01:49 AM

I thought this was a terrific mini-series. Hopefully it will be complete.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeter
I thought this was a terrific mini-series. Hopefully it will be complete.

VCI claims a running time of 189 minutes, but IMDB.com says it ran 192 minutes so, possibly, there might be something missing. But look at the cast:

Powers Boothe
Ned Beatty
James Earl Jones
Irene Cara
Veronica Cartwright
Rosalind Cash
Brad Dourif
Meg Foster
Diane Ladd
Randy Quaid
Levar Burton
Colleen Dewhurst

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,448 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 02 2007 - 02:21 AM

I was certainly riveted to my TV for the two nights that it ran on CBS. It was very daring for the time. Not sure it will seem quite as bold now as it did then, but it was an exceptional production. Powers Boothe richly deserved the Emmy he won for his performance.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 02 2007 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hug
VCI claims a running time of 189 minutes, but IMDB.com says it ran 192 minutes so, possibly, there might be something missing.

Possibly only the recaps and previews.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted August 02 2007 - 05:19 PM

I remember when the actual events happened when I was 7. And I remember seeing this when I was in my teens. Great movie, and yeah, Powers Booth was awesome in this movie.

Now if only we can get Murder In The Heartland.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted August 03 2007 - 01:52 AM

The thing I remember best is that when Emmy time came, there was an actor's strike and Powers Boothe was practically the only actor to accept his Emmy in person that year. He quipped at how after his Emmy appearance he may not have much of a career left. Well, fortunately the industry knew a good joke as Mr. Boothe is still getting juicy roles, as his recent stint on 24 proves.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 03 2007 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Well, fortunately the industry knew a good joke as Mr. Boothe is still getting juicy roles, as his recent stint on 24 proves.
I loved him on 24 but he was incredible on Deadwood. I think he even managed to top his execllent Jim Jones performance.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 12:35 AM

I wonder if the rights have somehow lapsed on "Guyana Tragedy: The Jim Jones Story" as Alpha Video is showing a February 26th release date for this telefilm. There didn't appear to be any restoration work done on VCI's release and I certainly wouldn't expect it from Alpha.

The Jim Jones Story: The Guyana Tragedy - Drama Classic Movies on DVD (1980) Starring Powers Boothe, Ned Beatty & Irene Cara; Directed by William A. Graham; Alpha Video : OLDIES.com

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 08:43 AM

I remember buying the VHS version of this event and the whole mess behind Jim Jones always caught my interest. This happened back during my early years of community college and caught my interest of these religious cults.

Powers Booth and James Earl Jones had captivating performances in this event and it's probably one I'll purchase on DVD.

Forum Nav Content I Follow