-

Photo

Warner finally announcing some horror for Halloween!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 07:34 AM

www.dvddrive-in.com

I'm most excited about FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE and THE HAND.

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,662 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 09:03 AM

So Warner will be re-releasing "Dr. Giggles" on DVD? It makes sense. After all, they've re-released several Largo titles to DVD including "The Super" and "Unlawful Entry" (both originally 20th Century Fox titles). To what limit do the rights for Largo titles go with Warner? Does this mean that Warner may have the
DVD rights to "Timecop", which many people have wanted to see in its' original widescreen format?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Just some thoughts that came to mind.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 09:30 AM

I'm excited about FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE, and I would also pick up EYES OF A STRANGER. But I hope this isn't the whole deal from Warner for this Halloween season... I was hoping for FRANKENSTEIN 1970, BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS, THE WALKING DEAD... another "legends" box...

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 10:19 AM

Wasn't FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE previously released on another label?

Great to see SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME out on DVD, considering this has never been released on VHS here in the States. Noticed dvddrive-in says all titles will be anamorphic widescreen. SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME is a TVM, so it should be fullframe.

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 18 2007 - 10:38 AM

meh, might eb worth it if the sets cheap enough, but nothing really lit a fire on me. "The Hand" is the only one I'm interested in. hopefully Stone does a commentary.

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 10:45 AM

So that is Oliver Stone's first film The Hand (1981) with Michael Caine? I haven't seen this film in at least twenty years so I would be interested in watching it again to see how (IF) it has held up.

.....I doubt it has but I like bad films as well so...Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#7 of 63 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M
So that is Oliver Stone's first film The Hand (1981) with Michael Caine? I haven't seen this film in at least twenty years so I would be interested in watching it again to see how (IF) it has held up.

.....I doubt it has but I like bad films as well so...Posted Image

I believe Stone's first film he directed is SEIZURE.

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,051 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 18 2007 - 11:25 AM

I can't believe there isn't panic in The Twilight Zone movie thread since that isn't listed.

I probably should be embarassed to say this but I'll get the box set because it'll be cheaper for me in the end. I'm a completeist for Stone, Carpenter and Craven, I remember enjoying Eyes Of A Stranger and Dr. Giggles is just goofy but what the hell. The only title that I haven't seen is From Beyond The Grave.

And Warners damn well better re-release The Oliver Stone Collection to include his greatest cinematic effort. Posted Image

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter o
I believe Stone's first film he directed is SEIZURE.

Ah, so it was, and in 1974 no less...The Hand was apparently his second feature film seven years later....(shrugs shoulders) oh well..anyway, this is the film with Michael Caine, correct?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 12:08 PM

there also hasn't been an announcement of the Dark Shadows films.

I hope these aren't all we're getting. I'll blind buy From Beyond...as I loved the last Amicus film I saw (Asylum). Probably rent Hand.

Franky '70 and some other 50s/60s B stuff, and the DS films are what I was really looking forward to

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kilduff
So Warner will be re-releasing "Dr. Giggles" on DVD? It makes sense. After all, they've re-released several Largo titles to DVD including "The Super" and "Unlawful Entry" (both originally 20th Century Fox titles). To what limit do the rights for Largo titles go with Warner? Does this mean that Warner may have the
DVD rights to "Timecop", which many people have wanted to see in its' original widescreen format?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Just some thoughts that came to mind.

Universal still has LARGO rights to TIMECOP...and THE GETAWAY remake. Both are scheduled for HD DVD by the end of 2007.

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 12:37 PM

A nice collection of titles...most of which, I did not expect to see hit the format at all. Since they're going forward with the made-for-tv Someone's Watching Me!, perhaps we'll see another horror telefilm of the era, Dark Night of the Scarecrow sometime soon. Unlike the Carpenter film, the latter did appear on VHS on the old Key label.

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
A nice collection of titles...most of which, I did not expect to see hit the format at all. Since they're going forward with the made-for-tv Someone's Watching Me!, perhaps we'll see another horror telefilm of the era, Dark Night of the Scarecrow sometime soon. Unlike the Carpenter film, the latter did appear on VHS on the old Key label.

As well as DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK and BAD RONALD that Warner also controls. Hey Warner, how about a box set of all the 70's horror films you own?

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:47 PM

So I guess this is the end for hoping the POLTERGEIST Special Edition is coming this year. Sigh...

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley-E
Universal still has LARGO rights to TIMECOP...and THE GETAWAY remake. Both are scheduled for HD DVD by the end of 2007.

I'm guessing Universal probably owns a larger piece of TIMECOP than some of the other Largo titles -- didn't they turn it into a made-for-video sequel and TV series? Chances are they bought the rights out from Largo for the whole "franchise" as it were.

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,051 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Richardson
So I guess this is the end for hoping the POLTERGEIST Special Edition is coming this year. Sigh...
I don't think so. This is essentially one release (The Twisted Terror Collection) so WB may have more horror titles up their sleeve that won't be under that goofy name. Poltergeist and The Twilight Zone Movie have a name recognition that these titles don't have so they can be released on their own and don't need to have to be tied into a collection.

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ohhh The Hand. I will grab that one.

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,149 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:51 PM

Just as hardcore CRUSING fans futilely wished to have SCTV's "Crusing Gourmet" sketch included on the DVD, I can't completely enjoy THE HAND without wanting to watch SCTV's "My Bloody Hand" sketch.

Fred Olen Ray's Retromedia label announced a DVD release of FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE, likely under the belief that it was a PD title. A test copy received a bad review at a prominent horror film website, resulting in a brief flame war between Ray and the site. Ultimately, the release was cancelled.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,114 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 04:00 PM

Pretty mediocre list of haloween titles. Hope there's more to come.

I would rather wait on the Dark Shadows movies. Generally the Warner Halloween titles are featureless. Would rather wait and see if we can get something better than that.

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 06:07 PM

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the DS films will get the deluxe treatment in '08.....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow