Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pirates Of The caribbean - BR, the reviews are rolling in

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 08:28 AM

http://www.upcomingd....type=disc_type

and

http://www.upcomingd....type=disc_type

Sorry if I am stepping on any toes, I really do not wish to and will remove this thread if necessary. I just had been eagerly awaiting these two reviews for a very long time now.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 08:43 AM

As soon as Disney gets the discs to me, I'll post reviews that same day!

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Williams
As soon as Disney gets the discs to me, I'll post reviews that same day!
Ben, I will be looking forward to your reviews. POC1 I already have on order, but am not so sure that I will go for POC2 unless my girlfriend demands it (which she probably will)Posted Image .
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 08:49 AM

Sounds like they don't disappoint. I sure hope Amazon ships mine before the 3rd opens.

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 09:29 AM

Ben,

looking forward to your review as well!
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,640 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 05:07 PM

These two releases look like winners if those reviews are anything to go by. The description of the audio almost makes me wish I could afford another player with analog outs in order to listen to the full uncompressed track.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#7 of 63 OFFLINE   Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 02:29 AM

Looking forward to these big time!

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 03:45 AM

Can't wait. Tempted to upgrade to one day shipping with Amazon but I can wait an extra day. Posted Image

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 07:19 AM

I just got word from Disney that all media outlets will get copies of the "Pirates" films early next week. I'm not sure how upcomingdiscs.com managed to get a copy for review, but it definitely wasn't through the normal channels. At any rate, I'll get that review up and running just as soon as the titles arrive next week - - along with Apocalypto!

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Williams
I just got word from Disney that all media outlets will get copies of the "Pirates" films early next week. I'm not sure how upcomingdiscs.com managed to get a copy for review, but it definitely wasn't through the normal channels.

Certain on-line retailers are reporting these discs as being in stock as of today.. guess someone's been shipping them out early.

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 09:24 AM

Just gone done reading the Matrix video review and was riled up with excitement about how they said the video quality was the best yet on HD. Now this site says Pirates even trumps Matrix?! Wow! Can't wait to see them both! Posted Image

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 10:01 AM

Glad to know these are getting a great review. Hopefully Amazon ships mine soon.

I'm about to get swamped in HD/BD content in the next week, I won't know what to watch first.Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:35 PM

HighDefDigest just posted their reviews here and here. Audio and Video both got 5 stars.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 02:11 AM

dvdtalk - DMC 5 & 5

Quote:
I've been reviewing these high definition formats for a while now, and have been watching HD programs even longer. And it isn't a lie, nor hyperbole, when I say that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest's 2.35:1 AVC transfer has the best image quality of any HD content I have seen to date.

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 02:38 AM

I love it.

I said all along that Disney really did support Blu-ray because they intended to use the 50GB and increased bandwidth to their full advantage. Disney's committment to ultra-high-bit-rate advanced video codecs (running at more than twice the average bit-rate of VC1 on WB discs) and lossless audio (often 24-bit) with releases like Chicago and Pirates keeps the confirmation coming. While it's impossible to draw firm conclusions without direct a/b testing, I find it interesting that Disney seems intent on using video bit-rates with advanced video codecs like AVC and VC1 that often peak above 40 mbps... in sharp contrast to other studios with video bitrates that usually stay well below 25-30 mbps. Perpahs these ultra-high-bit-rates allow for minimal high-frequency filtering? Certainly seems to have worked for Pirates whatever the case!

I'm sure as we get an install base of HD hardware with advanced-audio decoding (like the new panny) we'll see Disney move towards TrueHD or DTS-HD MA for lossless audio as well (though the use of PCM at present doesn't seem to compete with space/bandwidth in a problematic way, though advanced audio could make a little more room for more bonus material).
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 02:46 AM

Well, I watched both last night and was pleasantly blown away. Sharp images and colours that popped off the screen, also quite 3 dimensional, and that audio.... my favourite sequence was always the chase of the Dauntless by the Black Pearl. Absolutely fantastic a/v.

As a side note: Did anyone else notice just how damned good Cars looked on the previews before the main menu came up?

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 02:48 AM

Can't wait to see these before At World's End comes out next week.
I already pre-ordered these along with Apocalypto. So next week
looks to be pretty exciting Blu-Ray wise! Posted Image
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:50 AM

The only reason I will not run out and buy both POTC movies on Blu-ray is if I wait for the Panasonic DMP-BD10A to be available. Since the player will include both POTC movies its a win win situation. Then again I am weak and may buy these movies anyway. Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
The only reason I will not run out and buy both POTC movies on Blu-ray is if I wait for the Panasonic DMP-BD10A to be available. Since the player will include both POTC movies its a win win situation. Then again I am weak and may buy these movies anyway. Posted Image

Too funny lol

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 12:50 PM

Disney is my new favourite BR studio.

I am unsure of who else offers 48/24 pcm and I think most (if not all) of Sony's material is 48/16.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow