Pirates Of The caribbean - BR, the reviews are rolling in

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Joseph, May 15, 2007.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  2. Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams Second Unit

As soon as Disney gets the discs to me, I'll post reviews that same day!

3. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Ben, I will be looking forward to your reviews. POC1 I already have on order, but am not so sure that I will go for POC2 unless my girlfriend demands it (which she probably will)[​IMG] .

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Sounds like they don't disappoint. I sure hope Amazon ships mine before the 3rd opens.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Ben,

looking forward to your review as well!

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

These two releases look like winners if those reviews are anything to go by. The description of the audio almost makes me wish I could afford another player with analog outs in order to listen to the full uncompressed track.

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Looking forward to these big time!

8. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

Can't wait. Tempted to upgrade to one day shipping with Amazon but I can wait an extra day. [​IMG]

9. Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams Second Unit

I just got word from Disney that all media outlets will get copies of the "Pirates" films early next week. I'm not sure how upcomingdiscs.com managed to get a copy for review, but it definitely wasn't through the normal channels. At any rate, I'll get that review up and running just as soon as the titles arrive next week - - along with Apocalypto!

10. Jon Moss

Jon Moss Stunt Coordinator

Certain on-line retailers are reporting these discs as being in stock as of today.. guess someone's been shipping them out early.

11. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Just gone done reading the Matrix video review and was riled up with excitement about how they said the video quality was the best yet on HD. Now this site says Pirates even trumps Matrix?! Wow! Can't wait to see them both! [​IMG]

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Glad to know these are getting a great review. Hopefully Amazon ships mine soon.

I'm about to get swamped in HD/BD content in the next week, I won't know what to watch first.[​IMG]

13. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    HighDefDigest just posted their reviews here and here. Audio and Video both got 5 stars.

14. BrettB

BrettB Producer

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I love it.

I said all along that Disney really did support Blu-ray because they intended to use the 50GB and increased bandwidth to their full advantage. Disney's committment to ultra-high-bit-rate advanced video codecs (running at more than twice the average bit-rate of VC1 on WB discs) and lossless audio (often 24-bit) with releases like Chicago and Pirates keeps the confirmation coming. While it's impossible to draw firm conclusions without direct a/b testing, I find it interesting that Disney seems intent on using video bit-rates with advanced video codecs like AVC and VC1 that often peak above 40 mbps... in sharp contrast to other studios with video bitrates that usually stay well below 25-30 mbps. Perpahs these ultra-high-bit-rates allow for minimal high-frequency filtering? Certainly seems to have worked for Pirates whatever the case!

I'm sure as we get an install base of HD hardware with advanced-audio decoding (like the new panny) we'll see Disney move towards TrueHD or DTS-HD MA for lossless audio as well (though the use of PCM at present doesn't seem to compete with space/bandwidth in a problematic way, though advanced audio could make a little more room for more bonus material).

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, I watched both last night and was pleasantly blown away. Sharp images and colours that popped off the screen, also quite 3 dimensional, and that audio.... my favourite sequence was always the chase of the Dauntless by the Black Pearl. Absolutely fantastic a/v.

As a side note: Did anyone else notice just how damned good Cars looked on the previews before the main menu came up?

17. Thornhill

Thornhill Stunt Coordinator

Tony
    Can't wait to see these before At World's End comes out next week.
    I already pre-ordered these along with Apocalypto. So next week
    looks to be pretty exciting Blu-Ray wise! [​IMG]

18. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The only reason I will not run out and buy both POTC movies on Blu-ray is if I wait for the Panasonic DMP-BD10A to be available. Since the player will include both POTC movies its a win win situation. Then again I am weak and may buy these movies anyway. [​IMG]

19. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Too funny lol

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Disney is my new favourite BR studio.

I am unsure of who else offers 48/24 pcm and I think most (if not all) of Sony's material is 48/16.