-

Photo
- - - - -

Space 1999

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 02:46 AM

I have a question about viewing order.

Is Season One best watched in order of air date or in order of production number? Season One seems to jump all over the place

http://en.wikipedia....._1999_epsiodes

Andy

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   James Landau

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 03:00 AM

It's best watched in production order. The series was syndicated in the U.S. so there is no air date order. To save money, only a limited number of 16mm prints were made and they were "bicycled" from station to station. Therefore, different stations got different episodes at different times so the episode order varied from market to market.

I don't know which season one set you have, but the A&E sets present the episodes in their production order.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Landau
It's best watched in production order. The series was syndicated in the U.S. so there is no air date order.

I don't know which season one set you have, but the A&E sets present the episodes in their production order.

Thank for the info! The link in the first post shows the original air date for the series in England I assume.

I have the A&E mega set so I will just watch those in order as presented on the DVD as you suggested thanks.

I love your last name and the fact that you answered this question Posted Image

Andy

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 05:34 AM

will we be seeing the "stuningly remastered" season one dvd's in america?
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,272 posts

Posted October 24 2006 - 07:26 AM

Those with a multi-region player, should get the R2 Network set, it's fabulous. It's sharper and shows more picture information, meaning that all other prints before were slightly zoomed.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted October 24 2006 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Bu
Thank for the info! The link in the first post shows the original air date for the series in England I assume.

Or, if they copied their episode guide from the pages of Starlog, that episode guide (which started in issue 2) used the New York City airdates.

air dates were all over the place in the UK, too, as different ITV regions showed different episodes on different days at different times (etc).

I would say that ATV (the ITV region that was behind ITC) would be your "official" British station, but as others have said, production order makes the most sense, especially for year one. I think year two works better that way, too (especially with all the cast changes as that season progressed), but I suppose those episodes' order is less imperative.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 02:26 AM

One day I may yet jump on the R2 editions of the show. I just re-watched through the s1 DVDs again and still love the series. The Eagles are definitely one of the great space vehicles ever.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan-P

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 08:16 AM

I'm interested in buying the Network DVDs, but since I live in the US I'm not sure of the best place to order them. I checked amazon.co.uk, and the price was almost 56 pounds, which is well over $100 US. Considering that I'd also have to pay shipping plus VAT if that applied, that would be a VERY expensive dvd set.

Since I already have the A&E release, which is quite adequate if not nearly as spectacular as the Network release supposedly is, it doesn't make much sense to me to buy it at that price.

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to order the Network release? Where's the best deal on these?

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hmm, hang on, if you're in the USA you might have to pay import taxes of some sort, but you won't have to pay VAT - VAT is European.

Amazon, correctly, do not charge VAT on orders made by persons who are buying from outside the EU. I seem to recall that their list prices are VAT inclusive, so your final price should be somewhat lower when you reach the checkout stage.

Yes, you'd have to pay international shipping, but Amazon (unlike most stores) count boxsets as single items rather than counting each disc in the set as an item, so they are very economical when it comes to international shipping for multi-disc sets.

Also, bear in mind that the USA tax-free import allowance is somewhat higher than the UK one of £18, so you might not have to pay any import duties at all anyway.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 12:04 PM

Network themselves have the title in a sale on their site for £39.99, and I'm pretty sure they ship internationally.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gregory
Hmm, hang on, if you're in the USA you might have to pay import taxes of some sort, but you won't have to pay VAT - VAT is European.

Amazon, correctly, do not charge VAT on orders made by persons who are buying from outside the EU. I seem to recall that their list prices are VAT inclusive, so your final price should be somewhat lower when you reach the checkout stage.

Yes, you'd have to pay international shipping, but Amazon (unlike most stores) count boxsets as single items rather than counting each disc in the set as an item, so they are very economical when it comes to international shipping for multi-disc sets.
Absolutely right. Amazon UK's prices are VAT inclusive, so as a non-EU resident, you in effect apply a discount off list prices of just under 15%. And shipping is per-item, so box sets are relatively inexpensive to ship.

Other UK retailers might advertise free international shipping, or flat rate shipping regardless of whether you are in the UK or not, but those inevitably don't take off the VAT component of the price, and with an expensive boxset, VAT will be a lot more than Amazon's per-item international shipping.

(Yes, I've looked into this quite extensively since some DVDs I want are UK releases (e.g. football or BBC comedies), and previously I bought the R2 versions of ST:TNG and DS9 because of the funky packaging and additional extras.)

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted November 02 2006 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gregory

Quite right. The VAT isn't deducted until the final stage of checkout, after you enter your user name/password, etc. and when you reach the final page where you have to "finalise" your order.

Quote:

Quite right. Ever since Blackstar (now SendIt) and ChoicesDirect discontinued their free worldwide shipping (and after HMV started charging VAT for everybody), Amazon have typically been the cheapest when it comes to total price. I should know, I've been comparison shopping UK home video online for many years now (going back into the pre-DVD days).

Quote:
Also, bear in mind that the USA tax-free import allowance is somewhat higher than the UK one of £18, so you might not have to pay any import duties at all anyway.

As stated above, I've been importing VHS and DVDs from Britain for years now (since about 1996, 1997) and have never paid any kind of duty, not even on big, bulky items like the massive Battlestar Galactica: the TV Movies VHS boxset.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow