What's new

Space 1999 (1 Viewer)

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
It's best watched in production order. The series was syndicated in the U.S. so there is no air date order. To save money, only a limited number of 16mm prints were made and they were "bicycled" from station to station. Therefore, different stations got different episodes at different times so the episode order varied from market to market.

I don't know which season one set you have, but the A&E sets present the episodes in their production order.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Thank for the info! The link in the first post shows the original air date for the series in England I assume.

I have the A&E mega set so I will just watch those in order as presented on the DVD as you suggested thanks.

I love your last name and the fact that you answered this question :)

Andy

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Those with a multi-region player, should get the R2 Network set, it's fabulous. It's sharper and shows more picture information, meaning that all other prints before were slightly zoomed.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Or, if they copied their episode guide from the pages of Starlog, that episode guide (which started in issue 2) used the New York City airdates.

air dates were all over the place in the UK, too, as different ITV regions showed different episodes on different days at different times (etc).

I would say that ATV (the ITV region that was behind ITC) would be your "official" British station, but as others have said, production order makes the most sense, especially for year one. I think year two works better that way, too (especially with all the cast changes as that season progressed), but I suppose those episodes' order is less imperative.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
One day I may yet jump on the R2 editions of the show. I just re-watched through the s1 DVDs again and still love the series. The Eagles are definitely one of the great space vehicles ever.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in buying the Network DVDs, but since I live in the US I'm not sure of the best place to order them. I checked amazon.co.uk, and the price was almost 56 pounds, which is well over $100 US. Considering that I'd also have to pay shipping plus VAT if that applied, that would be a VERY expensive dvd set.

Since I already have the A&E release, which is quite adequate if not nearly as spectacular as the Network release supposedly is, it doesn't make much sense to me to buy it at that price.

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to order the Network release? Where's the best deal on these?

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Hmm, hang on, if you're in the USA you might have to pay import taxes of some sort, but you won't have to pay VAT - VAT is European.

Amazon, correctly, do not charge VAT on orders made by persons who are buying from outside the EU. I seem to recall that their list prices are VAT inclusive, so your final price should be somewhat lower when you reach the checkout stage.

Yes, you'd have to pay international shipping, but Amazon (unlike most stores) count boxsets as single items rather than counting each disc in the set as an item, so they are very economical when it comes to international shipping for multi-disc sets.

Also, bear in mind that the USA tax-free import allowance is somewhat higher than the UK one of £18, so you might not have to pay any import duties at all anyway.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Network themselves have the title in a sale on their site for £39.99, and I'm pretty sure they ship internationally.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Absolutely right. Amazon UK's prices are VAT inclusive, so as a non-EU resident, you in effect apply a discount off list prices of just under 15%. And shipping is per-item, so box sets are relatively inexpensive to ship.

Other UK retailers might advertise free international shipping, or flat rate shipping regardless of whether you are in the UK or not, but those inevitably don't take off the VAT component of the price, and with an expensive boxset, VAT will be a lot more than Amazon's per-item international shipping.

(Yes, I've looked into this quite extensively since some DVDs I want are UK releases (e.g. football or BBC comedies), and previously I bought the R2 versions of ST:TNG and DS9 because of the funky packaging and additional extras.)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

As stated above, I've been importing VHS and DVDs from Britain for years now (since about 1996, 1997) and have never paid any kind of duty, not even on big, bulky items like the massive Battlestar Galactica: the TV Movies VHS boxset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks