What's new

METV+ (1 Viewer)

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
In my area, for the first time I've noticed a METV sub-station (a .4) which may have started today. It has quite a different lineup from METV, but the only two programs I have noticed thus far, are only running in 480i. My online tv guide, that came with the tv, simply say "series" for many of them, therefore making me suspect they just started up. OTOH, I look at a different online tv guide on my computer, and the majority of them aren't on the first episode, if their episodes are listed at all. Among some of the programs that caught my eye: Mayberry RFD, The Rookies, TJ Hooker, something called Amos Burke, Secret Agent, The Saint, Mod Squad, Matt Houston, and Space 1999. If this station were on my tv's tv guide before, I don't know why I wouldn't had noticed it, but I suspect it's been there a while. Retro-wise, they have a pretty interesting lineup.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From wiki:

On May 3, 2021, it was announced that Weigel would launch MeTV Plus, a new 24/7 digital network that extends the brand and expands the audience of MeTV, its "Memorable Entertainment Television" franchise of classic programming. The new channel joined the array of diginets programmed by the Chicago-based station owner on Saturday, May 15. Its first affiliates are made up of Weigel stations replacing Katz Broadcasting's Bounce TV, which will become exclusive to parent company's Scripps and Ion's television stations.

So, it's entirely possible your area just got it. Do you recall Bounce being in that slot before?

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
From wiki:

So, it's entirely possible your area just got it. Do you recall Bounce being in that slot before?
No, I don't think so, because I have known Bounce was there for the longest, but I'll go check....... No, Bounce is part of the Ion network. Though it's not this way now, I think Bounce started originally here with the MYTV network.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Apparently it’s been around since mid-May. MeTV+
No, you misunderstood the announcement. Om May 3rd it was announced they would open, not that it opened May 3rd. This may be it's debut, just due to it being so close to fall, though it's hard to believe they would had taken so long since then, but they have a lot of different stuff from the main METV, so that might take more time to acquire. Oh nevermind, you said mid-May, not just May, but that announcement didn't mention a date I saw. Oh brother, I didn't realize your highlighted link, actually was a link, so I just now checked that, and yes, you're right, at least as far as them predicting their own rise. I presume they were pretty accurate given how it's so close to the announcement date.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Me TV + started airing in early May but only in 2 markets as a way to test to see how this would perform and those markets were in Chicago and Phoenix, but as of today (9/27/2021), they started branching out to other markets across the USA as it mainly contains extra programming along with a few extra programs they couldn't fit on the main ME-TV network channel. They have cartoons, westerns, some comedies and my favorite is the comedy classics that air from Midnight-2 AM CT as we get it here in Chicago on 26.5, so yes, let's just say it's an extended version of ME-TV but a whole new channel.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Me TV + started airing in early May but only in 2 markets as a way to test to see how this would perform and those markets were in Chicago and Phoenix, but as of today (9/27/2021), they started branching out to other markets across the USA as it mainly contains extra programming along with a few extra programs they couldn't fit on the main ME-TV network channel. They have cartoons, westerns, some comedies and my favorite is the comedy classics that air from Midnight-2 AM CT as we get it here in Chicago on 26.5, so yes, let's just say it's an extended version of ME-TV but a whole new channel.
That's great news! I hope they carry some of the series that's aired on Decades that was either dropped off METV because it's too esoteric or never aired there at all. I've grown tired of the METV schedule years ago.

It's not here on WJLP in New York New Jersey as yet.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
That schedule looks interesting. Haven’t seen Mayberry RFD in recent times, and it would be nice to see Cannon in the afternoon instead of the middle of the night, along with some of the other crime dramas. Kinda want to check out Matt Houston and Mod Squad after some of the recent forum write-ups.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Here's the current weekday schedule of MeTV+. Most it has aired on MeTV in the past. On weekends, it includes Broken Arrow (very faded), The Rebel, Guns of Will Sonnet, and Branded. These are the same 22 minute edited prints that aired on MeTV or the former diginet MeToo years ago.

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/metv-plus-wciudt5-chicago-il/11342
Thanks! It's a nice compliment to METV. But basically all the same stuff making the rounds from one diginet to another all owned by Weigel Broadcasting.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Here's the current weekday schedule of MeTV+. Most it has aired on MeTV in the past. On weekends, it includes Broken Arrow (very faded), The Rebel, Guns of Will Sonnet, and Branded. These are the same 22 minute edited prints that aired on MeTV or the former diginet MeToo years ago.

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/metv-plus-wciudt5-chicago-il/11342
The same edited prints as seen on the old DVDs as well, I imagine? I remember really enjoying Branded when it was rerun locally in the overnights in the 90's. I bought of the DVDs and then was nonplussed when I discovered they were the same sliced up and battered prints. Probably the worst official release of a TV series I'd seen.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The same edited prints as seen on the old DVDs as well, I imagine? I remember really enjoying Branded when it was rerun locally in the overnights in the 90's. I bought of the DVDs and then was nonplussed when I discovered they were the same sliced up and battered prints. Probably the worst official release of a TV series I'd seen.
The fact that they were old syndicated versions was what kept me from even bothering with buying the series.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
great, thanks for all the info. So me getting it over here, in the terms you described, it is practically a debut, and I was actually sharp enough to notice it the first day. Yes, the comedy classic look awesome, as my online tv guide shows the Little Rascals as their promo picture. They also have Laurel and Hardy and some more. If I'm not mistaken I think it's actually on around noon as well, unless it's a one time special to show people what's on at midnight. Great, another awesome retro channel.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
great, thanks for all the info. So me getting it over here, in the terms you described, it is practically a debut, and I was actually sharp enough to notice it the first day. Yes, the comedy classic look awesome, as my online tv guide shows the Little Rascals as their promo picture. They also have Laurel and Hardy and some more. If I'm not mistaken I think it's actually on around noon as well, unless it's a one time special to show people what's on at midnight. Great, another awesome retro channel.
Anytime and it's [again] just an extension of ME-TV with an added twist to it and airing the comedy classics and cartoons make it truly stand out as that kind of programming does generate interest of what true entertainment really was at one time.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I don't know if it's the same thing, but our cable company started running a channel called Decades, which appears to be a METV offshoot. It runs a lot of older sitcoms, as well as some edited Dick Cavett shows, and it's had a couple of weekends recently in which it ran marathons of other shows, most recently Highway Patrol. Most shows are half-hour, and the SD shows need to be stretched sideways to look right.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
At least since METV had it's first sniffs of HD, most of it's programs have nothing to do with the parent. I only say since then, because before it went somewhat HD, I pretty much ignored it, though I was bumping into it quite a bit. BTW, they make the best commercials promoting their programs by far. It's quite cute to see them blend something of a story out of two different programs as a commercial. I'd never heard of that Stony Burke thing until just very recently, and probably only because somebody in the opening METV+ cities were seeing it back in May.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I don't know if it's the same thing, but our cable company started running a channel called Decades, which appears to be a METV offshoot. It runs a lot of older sitcoms, as well as some edited Dick Cavett shows, and it's had a couple of weekends recently in which it ran marathons of other shows, most recently Highway Patrol. Most shows are half-hour, and the SD shows need to be stretched sideways to look right.
No Decades is something else ENTIRELY, though still retro in intent. If you ever were to see all the time they spend on "how it was" sort of thing with society (an actually program that does that, which is central to their station), METV won't ever do that.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
In my area, for the first time I've noticed a METV sub-station (a .4) which may have started today. It has quite a different lineup from METV, but the only two programs I have noticed thus far, are only running in 480i. My online tv guide, that came with the tv, simply say "series" for many of them, therefore making me suspect they just started up. OTOH, I look at a different online tv guide on my computer, and the majority of them aren't on the first episode, if their episodes are listed at all. Among some of the programs that caught my eye: Mayberry RFD, The Rookies, TJ Hooker, something called Amos Burke, Secret Agent, The Saint, Mod Squad, Matt Houston, and Space 1999. If this station were on my tv's tv guide before, I don't know why I wouldn't had noticed it, but I suspect it's been there a while. Retro-wise, they have a pretty interesting lineup.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Amos Burke Secret Agent is a spin-off of Burke's Law. MeTV+ runs a series of Burke's Law episodes, then runs some Secret Agent episodes. They both star Gene Berry.

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
My METV disappeared all together! About a month ago, it was just gone. I only have Spectrum Cable and it did air but now I don't know where it went or why. No one seems to know. I love the older shows as compared to the newer shows. Very strange. I imagine the cable company wanted the channel to show something else. The older comedy's back then were really funny. I do not watch ANY of the comedy's now on TV. I would get an OTA antenna but I live in a rental apartment and landlord's don't want anything attached to the roof, etc. The nearest city to me is over 50 miles away. So, I suppose I am out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks