What's new

Can Someone Tell me Why Chico and the Man is MIA? (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Forget DVDs, but why isn't Chico and the Man shown in reruns on TV or streaming??? Has it ever been in reruns since it ended? I do have the "Best Of" release they put out years ago, but where's the rest? At this point, I don't even care if its released on DVD anymore, but at least show it again on Antenna TV or MeTV, etc. Seems it would fit in with Welcome Back, Kotter, and Sanford and Son. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did a search and I can't find a main post, although I'm sure its been discussed within a post somewhere, but I don't have time to read through hundreds of threads looking for an answer.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Music rights maybe? Didn't that show use some popular music?
That may stop physical media releases, but I didn't think that typically prevented syndicated broadcasts. Possibly due to the nature of his death, or maybe they just don't think it translates well to today's audience. One question would be is the studio holding it back from syndication or is no one asking to syndicate it.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Forget DVDs, but why isn't Chico and the Man shown in reruns on TV or streaming??? Has it ever been in reruns since it ended?

It did run in syndication in my area and I even saw some of the post-Prinze episodes.

From Wikipedia:

Syndication[edit]​

The series fell short of the 100 episodes most syndicators desired for a full rollout, and Prinze's death caused a sudden shift in the series that further made the show undesirable for reruns. The series was only shown in syndication in a few markets and only for a relatively short period. NBC broadcast repeats of Chico and the Man briefly on weekday mornings from May 9 to December 2, 1977.[12]

Nickelodeon’s TV Land network also aired reruns during 2001 as did ION Television in 2007.[13] AmericanLife TV Network also aired this series previously, as well as WGN-TV in Chicago which aired first at 5 p.m., then later on moved it to 5 a.m.

In Canada, the show previously appeared on Sun TV (CKXT-TV) in Toronto.

In Italy, the show aired on Rete 4 in 1984.

From 2005 to 2009, episodes of the show were available on AOL's now-defunct video website called In2TV.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Shout Factory... Mill Creek! Someone!!

I have every episode. They can be found FOC with some looking to compliment the best of DVD. Still just as wonderful as ever.

Prinze had so much charm I wish I could have been buddies with him. He and Albertson played off each other that it leaves me with a smile every time. It was even interesting to me what happened to the show after Prinze was gone. The whole package is TV history. We need it!

Would love to know what music might be stopping it. I wasn't keeping up but a do remember Chico singing here and there or playing something funky from his van. Very little besides the theme song.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Chico is in my top 5 most wanted shows (on disc; no streaming, thanks) that so far don’t have at least one season released on disc. I have the 6-episode sampler disc that Warner released many years ago, but unfortunately that didn’t lead to anything else.

I was young but I do remember it in syndication at least briefly in (I think) the very early 80s and then not seeing it again until many years later when TV Land aired it for awhile. Fortunately I was able to record the episodes from TV Land. Despite syndication edits and promos interrupting the closing credits, it’s been better than nothing.

I agree with James above that even the Prinze-less Season 4 is worth watching. It’s fascinating even as it’s not nearly as funny. Producers and writers seemed to be throwing everything against the wall to see what might stick. First, a new “Chico” with Raul. Then Della (character and actress) disappears after several episodes. Then Charo joins the cast as Aunt Charo. There’s the very change of pace episode of Ed in Mexico. Then Ed’s niece shows up for the last several shows. At the very least the final year wasn’t predictable.

I would purchase this series in an instant if given the chance. Unfortunately, as with most still unreleased-on-disc shows from the last century without any sci-fi/fantasy elements, I’m not holding my breath.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I doubt it’s the music. Even 40 years ago, the show didn’t do well in syndication. Prinze’s death really cast a pall over the show, and many people back then just didn’t want to be reminded of it. Plus, it’s not like the show was a classic or anything. So it faded quickly from memory. Every 10 years or so, some outlet tries to bring it back and it underperforms, so it goes back on the shelf.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Much in the same way that the final season of "Welcome Back Kotter" killed that show's value in syndication so too did the final season of "Chico" kill its syndication value. The first half of Season 4 they were insulting the viewers by suggesting Chico had just left which was what necessitated the special episode of "Raul runs away" so there could finally be some actual honesty on the subject of Prinze's death. It was a case of too little too late to save the show, though I will admit the episode does allow one to see just how much Prinze's death shattered Jack Albertson and is fascinating from that standpoint.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
My Grandmother adored this show. Hey, at least they are out there in some form. Try to look for episodes of 'Forever Fernwood'! Only the first episode circulates. All the others are locked up.
Chico And The Man seems to have a cloud over it due to Freddie Prinze suicide, the series hasn't performed well in syndication so I imagine that a full series DVD release is probably not likely.

I would absolutely buy Forever Fernwood if Shout Factory would finally get moving and release the series on DVD. This series is high on my want list.

I like Mary Hartman's 1st season, episodes 1-130, but starting with season 2, episode 131, the story lines/writing starts to change and it isn't for the better. Forever Fernwood made strides for improvement in the writing department, it's a good series and the writing is on a similar level to the 1st season of Mary Hartman.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I am watching episodes of this show (the FP episodes) on YouTube, and it is a very funny show. I suspect the fact he killed himself is the real reason the show has not made it to DVD. I seems like yesterday it happened, and when his son was making it big on his own in show business in the early 2000s, I couldn't believe time had gone that fast. Jr. is now close to fifty, having lived more than twice as long as his dad.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Much like Barreta, what happened to the stars just killed the market for the shows in any platform.
I've often thought the death of Inger Stevens is why "The Farmer's Daughter" was never popular in syndication. However, "Family Affair" has performed pretty well in syndication despite the tragic death of Anissa Jones (aka Buffy) at 18 of a drug overdose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks