What's new

Can Someone Tell me Why Chico and the Man is MIA? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I've often thought the death of Inger Stevens is why "The Farmer's Daughter" was never popular in syndication. However, "Family Affair" has performed pretty well in syndication despite the tragic death of Anissa Jones (aka Buffy) at 18 of a drug overdose.
I think Farmer's Daughter had decent syndication in the 60s and early 70s. Having 2 of the 3 seasons in black and white I'm sure hurt it once everything went to color. Stations would sometimes not even run black and white seasons of shows like Man from UNCLE, Bewitched, Jeannie, etc. The 2 best seasons of Petticoat Junction were in black and white and weren't seen for decades. Same with My Three Sons.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
With Chico, it may have been out of respect for the family as to why it wasn't syndicated much or at all plus putting it on video or streaming services. It was so shocking and so terrible, especially given Prinze was only 22. It was especially horrible for his estranged wife, Kathy, as Prinze shot himself on her birthday. Somehow the family did pull it together and got far away from Hollywood, while the baby ended up being raised a more or less normal life away from the media, turned out fine and well-grounded, and had an even bigger career than his father.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Pete Duel is another actor who committed suicide while starring in "Alias Smith and Jones." I'm not saying he was at the same star level as Freddie Prinze, but at least his show can be watched in reruns and DVD today.
Prinze died decades ago. Time has a way of healing old wounds. I'm just wondering why Chico is not airing in reruns NOW on some retro station (Antenna, Me-TV, Cozi, Catchy Comedy, etc.) today alongside Sanford and Son or Welcome Back, Kotter. I do have that one "best of" disc that Warners put out a decade ago. I guess it didn't sell well, so I'll just have to assume that's the reason. The studio doesn't see any profit so it just sits in the vaults.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Prinze was a little different than Pete Duel. Duel was almost a decade older than Prinze when he killed himself. Prinze was widely liked in the entertainment industry, and his death was a profound shock to all those who knew him, not just to his fans and the general public. Co-star Jack Albertson was inconsolable over the death. Kathy and Freddie Jr. might feel a bit differently about the matter than many people. It doesn't matter how many years ago it was. I would be very surprised if this series in its entirety ever makes it to home video or streaming.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
With all due respect, I sincerely doubt the studio is withholding Chico out of respect for Prinze's family. It would be refreshing to hear that the major movie studios have a conscience and morals like that, but truth be told, most studios are out to make a quick buck. If they thought the show could make them some money, they would put it out there. I think the real reason is the show is not in reruns besides Prinze's death, is because its considered dated, and maybe some of the language and racial stereotypes wouldn't fly in today's "woke" society. Which is too bad, because the ultimate message of the show is that two people of different age and race can be friends and care about each other despite their differences..

Last edited:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I agree Ron. It's more than likely a "bottom line" type decision. IIRC, the one disc "best of" put out many years ago didn't sell enough to warrant any future releases.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Chico" was syndicated. I remember it airing on Channel 5, WNEW (now WNYW) in New York but it wasn't on too long in that people would be tuning out for the final "Raul" season. Ironically the big reason why the show continued without Prinze was because James Komack felt three seasons wasn't enough for a syndication deal and that one more would guarantee it and prevent Prinze's work from becoming forgotten. It ended up backfiring on him when Season 4 was such a disaster and the syndication life of the show wasn't that long either though it did make it to TV Land eventually. In fact, I had the most unusual experience in terms of its TV Land run when they got to the "Raul runs away" episode which addressed Prinze's death. In syndication they split it into two parts. I wanted to record them because I was moved by seeing Jack Albertson's genuine sorrow on camera for the loss of Prinze. Part 1 aired at about 3 AM on the morning of September 11, 2001. After I recorded it, I went to bed and when I woke up, one tower of the WTC had already collapsed.

I literally did not stop watching news coverage until it was 3 AM and TV Land ran Part 2. My recordings of those represent a demarcation point before and after the most significant event of our generation.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
"Chico" was syndicated. I remember it airing on Channel 5, WNEW (now WNYW) in New York but it wasn't on too long in that people would be tuning out for the final "Raul" season. Ironically the big reason why the show continued without Prinze was because James Komack felt three seasons wasn't enough for a syndication deal and that one more would guarantee it and prevent Prinze's work from becoming forgotten. It ended up backfiring on him when Season 4 was such a disaster and the syndication life of the show wasn't that long either though it did make it to TV Land eventually. In fact, I had the most unusual experience in terms of its TV Land run when they got to the "Raul runs away" episode which addressed Prinze's death. In syndication they split it into two parts. I wanted to record them because I was moved by seeing Jack Albertson's genuine sorrow on camera for the loss of Prinze. Part 1 aired at about 3 AM on the morning of September 11, 2001. After I recorded it, I went to bed and when I woke up, one tower of the WTC had already collapsed.

I literally did not stop watching news coverage until it was 3 AM and TV Land ran Part 2. My recordings of those represent a demarcation point before and after the most significant event of our generation.
I also remember Chico being syndicated in Southern California in the early to mid 80's but only for a couple of years.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I would like to know why the first season of this show got deleted off YT. It doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't see how this series will ever be released in its entirety on an official DVD. The manner of his death all but guarantees this won't happen. It is a shame.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would like to know why the first season of this show got deleted off YT. It doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't see how this series will ever be released in its entirety on an official DVD. The manner of his death all but guarantees this won't happen. It is a shame.
Because its copyrighted material and studios frown upon people stealing their properties. Duh.

TVHistoryGeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Tarrel
Its not really in the lost sitcom category since the show is on Youtube and complete on DVD in the trading world. Its just not in the cable or Digital TV world

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I think Farmer's Daughter had decent syndication in the 60s and early 70s. Having 2 of the 3 seasons in black and white I'm sure hurt it once everything went to color. Stations would sometimes not even run black and white seasons of shows like Man from UNCLE, Bewitched, Jeannie, etc. The 2 best seasons of Petticoat Junction were in black and white and weren't seen for decades. Same with My Three Sons.
An independent station in St.Cloud, MN KXLI-41 aired only the color episodes of Daniel Boone S 2-6. Albert Salmi, who played Yadkin in S1, died in a murde-suicide with his wife.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
It became impossible to watch "Chico and the Man" after Prinze killed himself. No one wanted to see it. It was a terrible shock at the time.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
It became impossible to watch "Chico and the Man" after Prinze killed himself. No one wanted to see it. It was a terrible shock at the time.
While I agree that Prinze's death was a major shock, I wouldn't go as far to say "no one wanted to see it." It was more of a case where the major attraction is gone and the show just wasn't the same without him.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It's been decades since Prinze died. A whole generation has no idea this even happened. Unless there's some contractual reason for holding it back, money is the rationale. The rightsholders probably don't see enough of a ROI to do anything with it.

Lots of shows suffered through deaths of different types. If we can still see the Twin Towers in reruns and movies, Freddie Prinze is fair game. As it was stated, the show did air in reruns after he died (it was how I saw it). There's probably just no demand for it.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
We could all put together lists of shows which had successful runs that are nowhere to be found anymore. December Bride, Farmers Daughter, Baretta, Owen Marshall, Moonlighting, etc.
Has Owen Marshall been syndicated anywhere since the very early 1980's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks