What's new

Press Release Imprint Press Release: Space:1999 Ultimate Edition (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ImprintTV - Space 1999 (1)-1.png

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Never mind, I didn't watch the video before I posted. Australian release. Look nice, though. They actually include the four movie versions in their special features. If it weren't so pricey, I would go for it. Again.

Deets here:

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
The problem with Space: 1999 is that one can only watch the same episodes so many times. Even after four years of syndicated reruns in the 1970s, I got tired of Star Trek and have never watched it regularly since (although I looked in on the new special effects every now and then back in 2006 or so). With Space the problem is even worse, especially for people like me (and there are many) who prefer only Year One, cutting the number of episodes in half. Back in 2015, I made a 40th anniversary rewatch, matching as close as possible the exact airdates of the original local run, and, as much of a fan as I was, it was painful to watch again after I have seen them so many times (the original run, the syndicated reruns, the Sci-Fi channel edited run). Sure, you can buy a set where the episodes look better, but they're still the same episodes.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The problem with Space: 1999 is that one can only watch the same episodes so many times. Even after four years of syndicated reruns in the 1970s, I got tired of Star Trek and have never watched it regularly since (although I looked in on the new special effects every now and then back in 2006 or so). With Space the problem is even worse, especially for people like me (and there are many) who prefer only Year One, cutting the number of episodes in half. Back in 2015, I made a 40th anniversary rewatch, matching as close as possible the exact airdates of the original local run, and, as much of a fan as I was, it was painful to watch again after I have seen them so many times (the original run, the syndicated reruns, the Sci-Fi channel edited run). Sure, you can buy a set where the episodes look better, but they're still the same episodes.

Too bad, they didn’t add the following goodies:​
• the lost two-hour version of “Breakaway” directed by Lee H. Katzin that was rejected by the network​
• the Italian movie version entitled Spazio: 1999 featuring a music score by the legendary Ennio Morricone​
ennio.png

SPAZIO 1999 IL FILM COMPLETO

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well that goes for any series, doesn't it? I mean, why buy any show in that case? We buy shows we know we like because we enjoy rewatching them. Space:1999 is my third favorite series and I go back to the series pretty often. Speaking of Star Trek, I have yet to get tired of rewatching the classic series after all this time. It's like comfort food.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Well that goes for any series, doesn't it? I mean, why buy any show in that case? We buy shows we know we like because we enjoy rewatching them. Space:1999 is my third favorite series and I go back to the series pretty often. Speaking of Star Trek, I have yet to get tired of rewatching the classic series after all this time. It's like comfort food.
It doesn't go for any series because most shows have more than 24/48 episodes. Even Star Trek had 79 (and later 80). Sci-Fi fans seem to have immunity to seeing the same thing over and over but for most people that gets tiresome. Most of the series I own on DVD have two-three times as many episodes. And it's not only the length of time between watching the same episode over but also how many other episodes are watched before watching the same one over. With Space: 1999 that option doesn't really exist.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sci-Fi fans seem to have immunity to seeing the same thing over and over but for most people that gets tiresome.

This might have been the case when I was younger, where back then I was more interested in ray guns, space ships, aliens, etc ....

As I got older, the space "window dressing" and tropes were no longer interesting to me. I was watching more for the storyline and performances.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It doesn't go for any series because most shows have more than 24/48 episodes. Even Star Trek had 79 (and later 80). Sci-Fi fans seem to have immunity to seeing the same thing over and over but for most people that gets tiresome. Most of the series I own on DVD have two-three times as many episodes. And it's not only the length of time between watching the same episode over but also how many other episodes are watched before watching the same one over. With Space: 1999 that option doesn't really exist.
If a series as 48, 79 or 110, nobody says you have to go back and watch them repeatedly or binge. If you buy any series that you've already watched, it stands to reason that it's because you want to watch it again and again. If you binge watch it over and over, sure you'll run dry of shorter run shows pretty quickly. I tend to watch a show until the mood passes and I go on to another.

As far as TV reruns, Friends plays constantly. My wife watches it every night. I've walked into the same episode a few times now. I'm kinda sick of it. You can wear out a long running show too. When it's in your personal library, you're the one in control of when you watch something.

It's all personal preference but I have no problem with short run shows and revisiting them over time. There is a greater chance that I'll actually watch the entire series. With a really long running show, I'll give up long before it ends. Simply because I moved on to something else. I also don't binge so much. I watch an episode when I'm in the mood for it. So really, it's very rare that I'll watch a series from beginning to end and never do a full run more than once.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
• the lost two-hour version of “Breakaway” directed by Lee H. Katzin that was rejected by the network​
• the Italian movie version entitled Spazio: 1999 featuring a music score by the legendary Ennio Morricone​

SPAZIO 1999 IL FILM COMPLETO

I like the show and I love Morricone but his score (which is available on CD) is practically unlistenable, and I’m into a lot of his more experimental music. But for completion’s sake sure let’s have it.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I like the show and I love Morricone but his score (which is available on CD) is practically unlistenable, and I’m into a lot of his more experimental music. But for completion’s sake sure let’s have it.

I don't agree with you concerning the music score of Morricone's Spazio: 1999 but it is a matter of taste.
I do enjoy this score because of its free jazz influence à la Don Ellis.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Were last year’s Blu-rays also taken from new 35mm transfers?
Shout, I believe, used Network's masters which were struck from the new 35mm films. I can't imagine this is a different or better quality release. The Shout/Network/A&E blu rays look incredible. If you're gonna double or triple dip, it'll be for the extras.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’m fine with the Shout set, which I think is terrific. The show never looked better.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure that doesn't still exist. Gerry Anderson had to do a lot of editing (as well as writing and shooting new bridging sequences) to get the episode down to one hour. All I know of that still exists are some audio extracts, here.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I'm pretty sure that doesn't still exist. Gerry Anderson had to do a lot of editing (as well as writing and shooting new bridging sequences) to get the episode down to one hour. All I know of that still exists are some audio extracts, here.

Who knows? Perhaps, some day, an executive will dig up an old print given to the New York office back in 1974.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Who knows? Perhaps, some day, an executive will dig up an old print given to the New York office back in 1974.
It may not have even gotten that far. I always thought Gerry saw the rough cut and then went back and did major surgery.

They would probably more likely find the early cuts of "Matter of Life and Death" and "The Metamorph."

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
It may not have even gotten that far. I always thought Gerry saw the rough cut and then went back and did major surgery.

They would probably more likely find the early cuts of "Matter of Life and Death" and "The Metamorph."

The New York office saw the two hours “Breakaway” and reported back to Gerry Anderson
who had to re-cut/re-shoot the pilot on the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks