Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do you watch your TV-DVD sets?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Josh_LaF

Josh_LaF

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:07 AM

This is just a fun topic. How does everyone watch their TV-DVD sets? I watch all the episodes first, then watch special features, then listen to the episodes with commentaries. I was curious because someone I know watches the episodes, then if the episode has commentary, watches it again, so he would watch the same episode two times in a row and I thought that was odd, but to each their own.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:15 AM

I usually watch the episodes and ignore the extras. I don't think I've ever listened to a TV commentary all the way through.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:34 AM

Depends on my mood... sometimes I will go right to the commentary after watching the episode... other times I will wait till I finish all the episodes.

But there is one time I always watch all the episodes first... if I never seen the series before... I will watch all the episodes first fearing spoilers for upcoming episodes is in the commmentary.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:46 AM

I usually watch the episodes first, video based extras second and I very rarely listen to commentaries on season sets.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 06:41 AM

Depends: sometimes I go straight to the extras, other times I'll watch a favorite episode first. Mostly I try to watch several episodes in a single sitting for a few hours.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Nick_Feduccia

Nick_Feduccia

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 07:36 AM

I'm such a dork, but here's how I watch season sets. I usually watch about 7-8 eps a night for hour long episodes depending on the lengths (8 eps= 42-45 min eps; 7 eps=46-50 min eps). And I watch 12 eps a night for half-hour episodes. I start at 7 PM CT and usually watch until 12 or 1AM. (I absolutely have no life.) It usually takes me 2-4 days to finish a season depending on the length and number of episodes. If I finish a season set before 1AM, I go back and watch the extras and commentaries. It helps that I don't have to be at work until 9:30AM, so I can sleep a little later than most.

I know lame, but you asked for it! Posted Image

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 07:37 AM

Generally I watch the sets straight through where the episodes are concerned. As far as the special bonus features are concerned I dislike the commentaries but depending on what series it is I'll watch some of the behind the scenes featurettes if I don't ferel like watching the other shows.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,321 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 15 2006 - 08:26 AM

I watch the episode then I re-watch it with the commentary and when I'm finished with the episodes on each disc, I'll watch the disc's bonus features.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 08:35 AM

I don't think I've watched an episode yet listening to a commentary. It takes me long enough just to get through a season. I did watch most of the special features for LOST though.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 08:50 AM

The only special features I've seen from any TV-DVD set are the "Next week on..." clips following each episode from the Babylon 5 sets.
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   AndyMI

AndyMI

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 08:57 AM

I watch the episodes first in order, then the special features. If there are commentaries I wait until I've seen all the episodes that season then go back and listen to those.

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 11:34 AM

For me, it really all depends. Sometimes I watch all episodes then extras, then commentaries. With Gunsmoke it was a mixture, no rhyme or reason. With MTM S:1 I watched the doc. first because I could wait to watch it. Then I watched an episode and then watched it again for the commentary.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   andyEckles

andyEckles

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 11:56 AM

I watch a couple of episodes a night a couple nights a week, so I usually take a couple of months to complete a set. I don't usually watch extras unless it's a show that I'm really fanatic about.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 02:57 PM

It depends on the show. For every set, I watch in marathon form (by disc or by complete set). Depending on the show, I'll watch the bonus features. The only series I have where I've listened to all the commentaries are Friends and Batman: The Animated Series. Otherwise, I generally skip over the commentaries.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:29 PM

Depends on the show for me too. I'll watch all of the episodes in order (for sets with only 13 episodes or so, I'll try to pace them, but with longer seasons, I'll watch them faster).

Then come extras. I'll generally check out deleted scenes and whatnot first. I'll listen to commentaries for certain shows but most I don't bother with. And I never bother with any animatics, any of that stuff. Doesn't interest me in the slightest.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 08:17 PM

I watch all the episodes in order. I never watch any extras and commentaries bore me to death.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 02:15 AM

This depends on the set.

For Babylon 5 were the commentaries were few, I watch the episodes in order up until an episode with a commentary. I then watch that twice in a row, once with out commentary and once with.

For shows like Farscape and Stargate, there are too many commentaries to do that with so I do not watch the commentaries.

I usually watch a good portion of the extras on the DVD's. If I have never seen the show before, I won't watch any extras until I finish the series (for fear of spoilers). If I have seen the series previously I will watch extras as I go.

Andy

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 03:54 AM

It depends on the set for me as well, For The Twilight Zone I watched an episode and then all the extra's for that episode. But with the Simpsons I watch all the episodes and then all the commentaries. I guess its how I feel about the show. The more I love it the more I want to watch and listen to the extras.
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I watch the episode then I re-watch it with the commentary and when I'm finished with the episodes on each disc, I'll watch the disc's bonus features.
Same exact formula on my end.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Blair G

Blair G

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
I usually watch the episodes and ignore the extras. I don't think I've ever listened to a TV commentary all the way through.

Yup, me too.

Have never listened to a single solitary commentary in my life. Don't see tha point. Would rather spend that time watching another episode.

Same with extras in general. It's gotten to the point that I rarely even look at the extras menu to see what's in there.

Forum Nav Content I Follow