What's new

The Disc Collection of Mike Frezon (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am closing out a really big project for me in which I shrank and re-organized my ever-growing disc collection.

Having it finally complete brings me great joy! :D

Over recent years, the collection of discs (mostly 4k/Blu/DVD/CD) had gotten horribly out of control. It had not been properly maintained and had taken up partial residency in cardboard boxes and stacks on the floor. It had become increasingly difficult to find anything.

I recently had an opportunity to devote a fair amount of time into weeding out titles I knew I would never watch again. I had to practice some tough love on my collection. But a lot of light-weight titles were easily excised. Some were more difficult than others. I also eliminated a number of titles of which I had duplicates/upgrades. When that was done I set about sorting and alphabetizing what was left.

As you can see from the pictures below. I have a small room (the 3rd BR in our 1924-vintage home) in which to store the discs (9.5' by 9.5'). This is the beauty of the empty nest.

Over the years I have also collected an odd assortment of shelving units to hold my discs, as you will see.

I have removed most of my CDs from the room as I am planning on copying them onto HDD storage. A thread on that project can be found HERE. Most CDs have temporarily gone into basement storage (with my vinyl and a few LaserDiscs). The only CDs remaining in the media room are my Christmas music. And this is temporary, as I plan on including them in the "ripping" project.

As part of this project, I also completely cleaned out all the excised discs from my DVD Profiler and have determined which discs needed to be added to bring that totally up-to-date to match the physical collection. DVD Profiler tells me my home video collection is currently around 2500 discs. That is more than some and less than others.

As I turn 62 in a few days, I realize I have more than enough movies here to keep me more than happy for the rest of my life (and we can talk about how our kids aren't going to want these collections and what to do with them when we're gone...) yet I keep adding more as they keep making them. (Boy, am I really looking hard at you right now, Warner Archive! :D ).

Here's what my storage looks like:

Picture #1

full

This is the West wall. The door on the left is the entry into the room. The door on the right leads into a walk-in closet. My wife stores clothes in there. This wall houses the 4k/Blu movies. Box sets are stored horizontally up top. Numbered titles begin on the lower left unit and proceed alphabetically through to the letter "P."

Picture #2

full

Pretty much the same view...featuring Ernie. :laugh:

Picture #3

full

This is the north wall (the windows are on the East wall). On this wall the movies conclude through "Z." My high-rez music is also here (SACDs, DVD-As, Blu-ray Audio, etc.). Also here are my concert discs (both HD and SD). And musical theater discs. Various Maltin Guides and Ebert/Kael review books are also here. The short rack under the La La Land poster holds my remaining DVD movies.

Picture #4

full

This is the South wall. The far left stack is Christmas music. The top row of the middle stack are Christmas movies/TV. Below that row are all TV series (HD/SD). The light brown vertical unit in the middle holds all my baseball titles, nature documentaries, calibration discs. The right-hand storage unit holds all my Disney/kid titles (HD/SD).

Why we have the world's largest chair (technically a chair-and-a-half) smack in the middle of this very small room is a story for another day. :D

Anyway, this is probably TMI for most people, but whenever an HTF member posts a picture of even a small portion of their disc shelves, I stare at it for a very long time. (Must be some voyeur problem I have!).

So please feel free to share pix of your collections here. And make any comments or ask any questions you might have about mine.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I am running dangerously low on space on my BluRay shelves. Best Buy used to carry nice tower cases to accommodate CDs, DVDs and BluRays, but they seemed to have stopped carrying this type of DIY furniture. Will have to look elsewhere on the net to see if I can find another shelf or two.

NorgeRunner

Agent
Real Name
Martin
Even after the weed out that is a LOT of discs! 😉🤪

So how many of those 1000+ have you watched in the last few months? How many will you be rewatching? I'm disc free now and it's very liberating for sure!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I need to do the same sort of downsizing. My collection is ridiculous.

I think my issue is mostly laziness to shlep the boxes out to the car to get them to Goodwill or wherever. I have some boxes of discs that I've been meaning to get rid of forever. I just never seem to get them out the door.

I have next week off for vacation. Since we're still in the pandemic, I'm not planning to go anywhere so maybe I should just dedicate the week to disc weeding (though I'll probably spend more time disc watching).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I bet you could get that pile widdled down to 20 discs, max.
Impossible for me, as any 3D blu-rays are automatic keepers as long as I have operational 3D hardware. That's at least a couple hundred discs just to start.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Even after the weed out that is a LOT of discs! 😉🤪

So how many of those 1000+ have you watched in the last few months? How many will you be rewatching? I'm disc free now and it's very liberating for sure!
Not knowing the answers to those questions is the joy and benefit of collecting. Unlike streaming where titles usually come and go the disc collection is available to watch whenever you get the urge to watch a certain movie or go through all of the films of an actor, director or studio. This is why my disc collection will never be leaving. I have a lot of DVDs that I need to get rid of for titles that I have upgraded to Blu Ray but no titles I want to get rid of. I learned my lesson after the Laserdisc days to not blind buy new films as most of them I will never watch again. I add new films every decade that I really liked but the majority of my collection that I will rewatch is from 1930-1985.

NorgeRunner

Agent
Real Name
Martin
When I came to the reality that 99% of the discs I just had to have we're only watched once or never (in wrappers still) and knowing I can watch digitally without scouring shelves of discs is when I told myself enough was enough and I donated all my discs and never thought twice about it. I just don't rewatch movies anymore like I used to.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I bet you could get that pile widdled down to 20 discs, max.
No chance. I admit I don’t watch everything I have, and I have specific films I revisit while other films go unwatched, but the pride and joy of having a library is probably the biggest reason of all that I have more than 1,000 films on my shelves.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My shelves looked very much like that prior to the arrival of the babies. Now the shelves and the discs they contained are mostly in storage, with the content ripped to a HTPC for Plex playback. I needed to make more space for the kids/childproof the place and that was the most bang for the buck in terms of what I could do. Then the pandemic hit and we had to move sooner than expected.

The plan isn’t to keep the stuff in storage forever, but I’m excited by the possibilities of putting it back together. Now that everything is on my Plex server, I don’t need to display the disc to be able to watch the content. This means that instead of putting like six shelving units back into operation, I’ll probably put back a smaller number and display the discs that have packaging I like or titles that are personal favorites that I like seeing on a shelf. Things I bought because that was cheaper than renting, ones with packaging that sucked, and discs with menus that made them a pain to actually use, can all stay put away. I’m excited to actually have a display that looks like something I’ve curated instead of just being a pile of stuff I own crammed into a space.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, at least you have a 3 bedroom house to store your discs. I live in a one bedroom apartment with 8,077 discs (at last count)! I mean I have discs in the linen and broom closets!

LOL! That makes me think of my mother's own, non-HT/media hoarding in her 1BR coop! She's not at all interested in collecting movies though, just other stuff she feels useful (even though she really doesn't or no longer needs or uses them anymore)... And I'd apparently inherited much of my bargain hunting and collecting impulses from her... although she doesn't understand at all why I have so many movies (though not nearly as many as some like you)... :P

Like Mike (w/ similar size collection), I sporadically work a bit on getting rid of titles I clearly don't care enough about and extra copies on older formats. Since display space is limited, especially in or near the livingroom HT area, I often prioritized what get displayed and what get stored/stowed away in less visible or easily accessible storage, but the kids would inevitably send my makeshift arrangements into disarray before long.

But soon, I should finally have my dedicated HT room downstairs in the 1/2-basement, ground floor, and will try again w/ more space for this. And this time, also with the kids old enough to better respect my media organization, I should hopefully have my collection better arranged for the long haul...

One thing. I did start "collecting" quite some on digital instead (mainly via iTunes... although quite a lot are MoviesAnywhere-eligible) since late last spring, so probably a tad fewer discs (at better prices) are added to my collection going forward -- mostly titles I would normally wait until the $5-8 bargain bins, if they're available on disc at all, but much of which I might never come across at such prices, so it probably doesn't reduce my actual disc purchases by much...

_Man_

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just realized that the pictures in the OP were not clickable. I just tried to fix that so they could be enlarged. So they SHOULD be fixed.

EDIT: For some reason, they are clickable but still not exceptionally clear. Don't know what's going on. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks