What's new

How many times do you watch a TV series you have bought on DVD/Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hello all.
I have a problem.
I want to buy some TV series on blu-ray, but the thing is I usually watch them only once, so I don't think it's worth it.
I have some series like Star Trek the original series, Batman, Twilight zone, and I have watched them all once.
I can't watch individual episodes, even if the storylines are autonomous. If I watch TV series, I want to watch the complete series from beginning to end.
So, I was curious, how do you handle this situation?
Do you watch them only once and then sell the DVDs/Blu-rays?
Do you keep them?
Do you watch them more than once, complete?
Do you usually watch individual episodes every now and then?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It depends on why I bought them.

There are some TV shows I bought because there was no other way to see them. In those cases, I might’ve only watched them once - the point of the purchase was to see them more than to collect them. Unfortunately, discs aren’t that popular anymore so I haven’t had much success in selling them or giving them away, so I’m sort of stuck with them. Those kind of examples are packed away in my basement storage area rather than being on display.

On the other hand, there are some TV shows I’ve bought because I do love them and want to watch them whenever I might feel like it. Some shows I watch at random mostly, while others I tend to watch in order. Within the past few years I’ve copied them all to my Plex server so I can watch any episode I feel like at the touch of a button without needing to remember what episode was on what disc. Some of them are on display on my media shelves, others are packed away, but it’s rare that I put the actual disc in the player.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hello all.
I have a problem.
I want to buy some TV series on blu-ray, but the thing is I usually watch them only once, so I don't think it's worth it.
I have some series like Star Trek the original series, Batman, Twilight zone, and I have watched them all once.
I can't watch individual episodes, even if the storylines are autonomous. If I watch TV series, I want to watch the complete series from beginning to end.
So, I was curious, how do you handle this situation?
It's different per series.
Do you watch them only once and then sell the DVDs/Blu-rays?
I watch and save. Sometimes I watch a single episode and never go back again. Never sell.
Do you keep them?
Always.
Do you watch them more than once, complete?
Yes but never all at once.
Always.

Good idea for a thread! :thumbs-up-smiley:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Using your examples, I've rewatched Star Trek: TOS more times than I can remember and rewatch it at least once a year. I've seen Batman at least 4 times since it was released on disc. Twilight Zone, twice.

I'm like Josh - there are shows I purchased solely to see them again, many of which are unlikely to ever receive a rewatch. Others are shows I like and purchased with an eye towards occasional rewatches.

Some of those which *have* seen multiple viewings (3+) and *will* see more are The Outer Limits, The Time Tunnel, Farscape, Babylon 5, Firefly, The Munsters, The Addams Family, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Star Trek: DS9, Star Trek: Voyager, The Game of Thrones, Hogan's Heroes, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Allo Allo, Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Are You Being Served?, Lost in Space, Two's Company (a British series), Last of the Summer Wine, WKRP, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The Bob Newhart Show, Newhart, and several others.

Favorites I'll upgrade to BR when they get such a release (and have more than a few of those). New purchases are on BR when available.

In the long run, I generally find it less expensive to purchase what I want to see rather than rent. Many of the series I like aren't on any streaming service and are unlikely to show up on one. That means a purchase if I want to see them again.

One thing that prevents even more rewatches than I do currently is the huge number of series I own on disc. I have enough *unwatched* TV series on disc to last at least 4-5 years without a single repeat while watching 3-4 hours per night and could easily fill a full year of viewings of favorites. At last count I had over 550 *complete* TV series on disc. Because of this I've slowed down my purchases significantly but *still* purchase new material if it's an old favorite getting its first media release (The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet for example) or a new series that, after watching an episode or two somewhere, looks interesting enough to watch in full.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Of all the classic TV series that I have on DVD, dramas and sitcoms, if there's an episode that I really like I can watch it several times and still enjoy it. I prefer having favorite shows on physical media/DVD, I'm not really much into doing the streaming stuff. The Tubi website has some classic TV shows available for free streaming, I'll go on there occasionally and watch if it's something I like and it's not available on DVD.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

For generic procedurals (such as Criminal Minds, CSI, NCIS, etc ....), I just extract the individual episodes into their own *.vob files, and play them in a random order in the background when I'm at home.

(I don't currently subscribe to basic cable channels which play NCIS or CSI reruns all day).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If it's a shorter run series, especially one I haven't seen since the original run, I'll watch it straight through once and then pick and choose an episode when I'm in the mood. For much longer shows, I start off cherry picking. One exception is Dallas. I will always do a full series run of that show when I'm in the mood.

Most often the shows in my collection are old favorites and I will watch them as I feel the pull. Some will give me a "fever" where I have to watch a bunch. Others will be on and off, but most are once in a while and are mostly to a) support physical media and 2) for historical purposes.

Like @Josh Steinberg I have a lot of them in files for Plex viewing and that's such a great option. It's like having my own TV station and I can bounce around without wear and tear on the boxes, cases and discs.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have enough *unwatched* TV series on disc to last at least 4-5 years without a single repeat while watching 3-4 hours per night and could easily fill a full year of viewings of favorites.

You're not alone-- all the stuff I have, it will take practically my whole life to see in full.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
much like the OP, i can't really dip in to a favorite series -- when i'm in the mood for it, i want to watch the whole thing. problem is, i usually quit after a season or two and never get back to it. rinse repeat. can't tell you how many times i've seen, say, CHEERS, NIGHT COURT's or WKRP's first year in full . . .

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s one of the reasons that I’m glad to have a Plex server, which lets me see where I left off the last time I watched some episodes of a show. I used to fall into that same pattern but now I just resume from where I was, even if it’s been months or years. Keeps me from seeing the same first half of the first season over and over again.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I'm likely to only watch something once, then there is no point in buying the bluray or 4Kbluray versions. Easier to just watch it on a streaming service, or in reruns.

I don't buy many highly serialized shows anymore. Very few are ever watched again.

The remaining stuff I'll still buy, are episodic procedurals as complete series dvd sets or one of those partial multi-season 20+ discs dvd sets.

The time span it takes to rip two 50 gigabytes size bluray discs to the computer, is around the same time span to rip around six 8.5 gigabytes sized dvd discs. Too time consuming to rip too many bluray discs from season sets of procedural tv shows.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't transfer many blu rays for that reason. I can't afford a line of hard drives, so those tend to remain on my shelf and I just watch them that way. The only BDs I did transfer were those I wanted to "fix" in some way - add network billboards, previews and restore correct credits and production logos. That's another reason I do the transfer to digital. I like to restore shows closer to original broadcast. Being able to watch them via a media server is a great advancement. It's cheaper and takes up less space than the old DVD-R or BD-R method.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't transfer many blu rays for that reason. I can't afford a line of hard drives, so those tend to remain on my shelf and I just watch them that way.

My issue is not cost.

My main issue is the time/effort in ripping something I only end up watching once or twice, and whatever becoming clutter collecting dust on my bookshelves or n storage.

My personal free time is more "valuable" to me, than ripping multiple bluray discs I'll likely never watch a second or third time.

As a recent example of this, I rather read the book that the Oppenheimer movie is based on, than buying the bluray and watching it once or twice. At this point, I'll likely end up watching Oppenheimer on a basic cable channel or even network tv, before I ever pick up the bluray (if ever).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My issue is not cost.

My main issue is the time/effort in ripping something I only end up watching once or twice, and whatever becoming clutter collecting dust on my bookshelves or n storage.

My personal free time is more "valuable" to me, than ripping multiple bluray discs I'll likely never watch a second or third time.

As a recent example of this, I rather read the book that the Oppenheimer movie is based on, than buying the bluray and watching it once or twice. At this point, I'll likely end up watching Oppenheimer on a basic cable channel or even network tv, before I ever pick up the bluray (if ever).

I have a similar mindset at this point in my collecting. Years ago I toyed with the idea of backing everything up multiple ways. But now I'm content with my collection of physical media as is. Like you, I consider my free time too valuable to spend on backing things up.

When it comes to how often I'll watch something, if I don't have a strong feeling I'll ever return to a series I'm less likely to pick it up. And I'm more likely to wait something out for good sale if I'm on the fence about the show. The strong desire to only invest my money into a show I'm likely to watch multiple times is now very important. Money only gets tighter for me as I approach retirement age (still probably a good 10 or more years away from that), so I want to make sure I'm going to get a solid return on my investment.

Gary "the biggest issue for me is 'new' older material - b&w shows that I've never seen, or haven't seen in decades - I'll always buy those even if I'm not sure I'll want to rewatch them down the road" O.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree, but the editing portion for me (and I know I'm probably one of probably two people in the world who do this) is the "fun hobby" part. After dealing with the BS or real life, I enjoy losing myself in a video project. It's like putting together an accurate model kit. Only it's in video format.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I agree, but the editing portion for me (and I know I'm probably one of probably two people in the world who do this) is the "fun hobby" part. After dealing with the BS or real life, I enjoy losing myself in a video project. It's like putting together an accurate model kit. Only it's in video format.

I can't argue with that, Scott. If it's a fun part of the hobby for someone it makes complete sense.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If I'm likely to only watch something once, then there is no point in buying the bluray or 4Kbluray versions. Easier to just watch it on a streaming service, or in reruns.

I don't buy many highly serialized shows anymore. Very few are ever watched again.

The remaining stuff I'll still buy, are episodic procedurals as complete series dvd sets or one of those partial multi-season 20+ discs dvd sets.

The time span it takes to rip two 50 gigabytes size bluray discs to the computer, is around the same time span to rip around six 8.5 gigabytes sized dvd discs. Too time consuming to rip too many bluray discs from season sets of procedural tv shows.
I've thought about going the Plex route, but always stop myself short for the reasons you give. If I had started a Plex collection in the early days of collecting, I could find the time, but I really do not have the time to rips hundreds of (or more) Blu-rays to computer drives. I never even finished loading my titles in DVD Profiler for the same reason.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some series lend themselves more readily to random viewings, so I tend to worry less about committing to a entire viewing of the series. Anthologies and crime procedurals come to mind - Twilight Zone, Columbo, Night Gallery, The Outer Limits, Star Trek: TOS for example.

Serialized story lines tend to require more viewing and I tend to be a bit more selective on those shows. Battlestar Galactica (2004), Fringe, Babylon 5 are a few that I've happily watched in their entirety (with multiple viewings). I have viewed The Expanse in its entirety and plan on adding that BD to my collection in the near future.

It varies. When complete series get deeply discounted, such as during some of the promotions on Amazon I am more open to a somewhat "blind" purchase. Other series having been previously viewed on broadcast are automatic purchases - essentially all of the shows I've listed above.

While it probably isn't as much of a factor as it was in the past, "nostalgia" purchases comprise a good amount of my television library. Shows I've viewed many years ago and wanted to revisit. Barney Miller, Kung Fu, Starsky and Hutch are a few that fit into this category. These tend to get sporadic viewing, but not necessarily comprehensive viewing.

I don't purchase as much these days, but I have no regrets over what I've added (and continue to add) to my library.

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

If I ever do have a hobby editing project, it would be the Blacklist complete series dvd set of ten seasons. If it is ever released that is, considering seasons 9 and 10 have not been released on dvd/bluray in region1/A america.

It would involve editing all the segments with James Spader's character Red, into one huge video file per season. Basically dropping all the segments without James Spader. I believe it would be a "speed run" of each season or even the entire series, which still tells the entire story. ;)

I thought the show nosedived / jumped the shark after season 2. So I didn't even bother buying the bluray season sets of Blacklist anymore after season 2.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Money only gets tighter for me as I approach retirement age (still probably a good 10 or more years away from that), so I want to make sure I'm going to get a solid return on my investment.

(On a tangent).

I have noticed in observing my father and other relatives who were long retired, they had large collections of vinyl records, cds, vhs tapes, dvds, etc ...

Though since retiring, I noticed they were spending their entire day watching 24 hours news channels like CNN, BBC, DW, etc ... and rarely ever watching/listening to anything from their large discs/tape collections. (They don't even watch tv sports anymore, which they used to do a lot back in the day).

I thought it seemed kinda odd accumulating a large tape/disc media collection over a lifetime, and not listening/watching any of it when they have all that free time in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks