Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

From Pixar in 2007: Ratatouille

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#1 of 139 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 01:22 PM

Pixar's 2007 movie: Ratatouille

I wonder if we'll see a preview before Cars and/or on the DVD.

A rat in a French restaurant? Sounds interesting. Pixar hasn't let me down yet, and I don't expect them to anytime soon.

#2 of 139 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 03:11 PM

I'm with you, Zachary. Every single Pixar movie I've seen has hit it out of the ballpark. I hope the Pixar crew doesn't get too much heat from the "Story by committee" crappola that some Disney flicks have suffered from...
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#3 of 139 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 05:59 PM

While it doesn't bother me, I do hope we get a pronunciation guide for the title. or just call it Rata, Ratat, or Ratille. A title that's a little less frightening for the average Joe-Six-pack out there is probably needed.

#4 of 139 Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 03:40 AM

rat at oo e (long e)

#5 of 139 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 04:01 AM

Quote:
A title that's a little less frightening for the average Joe-Six-pack out there is probably needed.

I don't know. If they can say "Madagascar" then there shouldn't be too much trouble with this title. Pixar is entertaining... AND educational!

#6 of 139 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
If they can say "Madagascar" then there shouldn't be too much trouble with this title.

Then there is no hope for my dad. Posted Image Whenever referring to the movie he kept calling it 'Magadascar'.

Quote:
rat at oo e (long e)

Probably easier this way: rat-ah-too-ee
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#7 of 139 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 07 2006 - 07:33 AM

Gigli Posted Image

Rat-Tat-Tooey!
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 139 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 08:53 AM

Toys, Bugs, Monsters, Fish, Superheroes, Cars and now Rats. I wonder what the next film after this will be about. I always sort of hoped they go semi-horror with Skeletons or Ghosts. Bring in Tim Burton.

#9 of 139 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted March 01 2006 - 09:45 AM

Quote:
I wonder what the next film after this will be about.
Singing pencils. Trust me.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#10 of 139 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,170 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 01 2006 - 10:09 AM

Quote:
Singing pencils. Trust me.

Posted Image I really wish they'd do a sequel to The Incredibles, I've had enough of talking toys, fish, ants and whats the next one cars? Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#11 of 139 David Rogers

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 12:11 AM

Actually a Pixar film about skeletons or ghosts sounds like it'd be kinda cool. Even if they let Burton direct it, still sounds cool.
-----

Dave's World
-No matter where you go, there you are-

#12 of 139 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 03:46 AM

Quote:
I really wish they'd do a sequel to The Incredibles, I've had enough of talking toys, fish, ants and whats the next one cars?
Amen to that. The Incredibles towers above their other films, IMO. I'm hoping for more output in that vein.

As for an Incredibles sequel, my girlfriend tells me that Sarah Vowell in an interview said that there was nothing cooking for the moment.Posted Image

I'm interested in seeing what Jim Reardon (another Simpsons alum along with Brad Bird) has planned with Pixar. He's got something cooking for 2008, I believe.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#13 of 139 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 02 2006 - 07:26 AM

Amen to that. The Incredibles towers above their other films, IMO. I'm hoping for more output in that vein.
How about a spin-off:

The Adventures of Edna Mode: Fashion Avenger

Posted Image

#14 of 139 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 02 2006 - 03:14 PM

There's no way kids will be able to pronounce this title, hell, i'm a grown man and i'm having difficulty keeping it straight, I bet they'll change it at some point.

Didn't they change the title for the first Harry Potter movie because kids would have a hard time pronouncing it? I thought I heard something along those lines before it was released, or maybe it was the book?
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#15 of 139 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 02 2006 - 03:28 PM

Didn't they change the title for the first Harry Potter movie because kids would have a hard time pronouncing it? I thought I heard something along those lines before it was released, or maybe it was the book?

Everywhere in the world except the United States, the first book/movie was called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone".

They changed it for the U.S. since someone, I assume the U.S. publisher and their market research team, deemed American children too stupid to understand the word "philosopher" ...but perhaps pronounciation was a factor as well.

So, yes, I'm sure they'll eventually change the title to something easier for today's youth, like "Ratz" or "Phat Pimpin' Rodentz"

#16 of 139 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 04:31 PM

philosopher sounds like work, sorcerer sounds like fun. It was changed because they didn't want to alienate any of the eleven year old boy demographic.

#17 of 139 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 02 2006 - 04:39 PM

philosopher sounds like work, sorcerer sounds like fun. It was changed because they didn't want to alienate any of the eleven year old boy demographic

They didn't have to change it in any other country.

#18 of 139 Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 08:55 PM

Quote:
Even if they let Burton direct it, still sounds cool.

You mean you'd let Burton work on a semi-horror-themed film after The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride? Posted Image

#19 of 139 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 09:08 PM

well then I guess the marketing department wasn't as powerful in the other countries or they didn't have the super-duper research that said philosopher was a 'bad' word to have in a book title (like the supposed statistic that books with variations on Dead sell an average of 25% less than a book without the word in the title), and so it never occured to them there was any 'reasonable' reason to change it.

But it had nothing to do with the intelligence level of American children. Noone said, "american boys are stupid and can't read so we can't have a big words in a title." Rather they made the intellectual leap that sorcerer would be more appealing (oh it's about magic and fun things, I'll read that!) than philosopher (wassat? old dusty books? I like action, buggeroff, hey a wrestling book!«child wanders away»)

I do not like that it was changed, but I understand why it was changed, much more sensible are a handful of brittishisms that were changed, although I'd prefer the original there as well, I for one was never able to make the prodigious mental leap that torch=flashlight until it was explained to me. Posted Image

Back on topic, the pixar title is just unpronounceable, damn french vowels, noone in america will ever get those right, if it were german, spanish, or even latin they'd have a better chance. Hell you get pretty decent luck with Japanese words most of the time, but on this one I can't even get a consistent spelling in my brain, much less a consistent pronunciation.

as a handful of examples (believe me there are many more) I've thought it was (having seen this thread title many times) :
Rat-ill
Rat-too-lay
Rat-ah-Lee
Rat-ah-too-eh-lee-Ay
Rat-ah-twee
Rat-ah-too-EL-ee
Rat-ah-too-ee
Rat-ill-ee
Rat-too-ee
Rah-tat (+above variations whereever Rat was used)

I just loath that ouille combination, for some reason i can't visually parse the word in my mind because of it. heh, separate that thing out and it makes me think the damn film is titled Rat-oil, with the oil drawn out aristocratically , dahling.

#20 of 139 David Rogers

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted March 03 2006 - 12:07 AM

Quote:
You mean you'd let Burton work on a semi-horror-themed film after The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride

A more fair question would be if I'd let Burton work on a horror themed film after Planet of the Apes and the Superman fiascos...

But this is about Pixar. They'll stumble sooner or later, everyone does. But they haven't yet.
-----

Dave's World
-No matter where you go, there you are-

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow