What's new

From Pixar in 2007: Ratatouille (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Yes. Caused some light applause from the few people left watching the credits during my preview showing. I wonder if that's pointed at any specific competition, or just a general thing.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I don't know, but the scene where Remy is going down through the sewer had an incredible simulation of the water. More impressive than anything I've seen from them so far.

My 6 year old enjoyed it, but was restless during the middle section of the film. He had several belly laughs though and certainly was able to follow the plot.

I thought I heard that initial numbers for opening weekend were along the lines of $33 million which was framed as "somewhat disappointing". I don't usually care that much about the box office numbers, but I'd hate to have any of those whiners at Disney get any satisfaction...Assuming of course that the "insider" quotes are accurate about the complaints.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree, this film had Bird moments and style running throughout, from character reactions and behaviors that you saw in Iron Giant to how the romantic interest here looked just like mom Incredible.

Bird is amazing, he really has a unique talent for the subtleties that take a scene from rote to brilliant.

This is simply some of the best animation I've ever seen, and I don't mean the redering/tech side of it, though that too is a good as it gets. I mean the characters' movements and look. Just as strong as you saw in the 2D of Iron Giant. To me that's all Bird.

And the pairing of the 2 - like chocolate and peanut butter.

Personally I found Cars to be "blah" by Pixar standards, so this is a huge leap back to the level of Incredibles. I think I still might have both Toy Story films ahead of it as well as the Incredibles, but it's in that ballpark. Pixar's average level of quality is honestly just insane right now.

This has to be what it was like seeing Walt first getting going himself, it's that same kinda of era I think.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

The Wall St Journal reported $47M for the opening weekend; maybe disappointing by Pixar standards (where I guess a home run for its opening weekend would be $50-60M), but pretty strong otherwise.

I think word of mouth on this should really give it some serious box-office legs. It's definitely in Toy Story/Incredibles territory as to quality of story and overall animation.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

It's already starting to show. Its weekdays so far have been pretty incredible along with Transformers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got to Ratatouille last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Score-wise I'd give it a B or B+, comparing to other Pixar movies. It was a solid story, great animation, and fantastic last third. But it lacked the through-and-through magic of Nemo or Toy Story 2, for me.

Technically, it felt that lighting was the goal for this film. There were many scenes using softer lighting, mist, fog, or such that had the "new" feeling to it. Similar to how Monsters was about hair, Nemo about water, and Incredibles about people.

The best scenes to me were the en masse rat events: The colony escaping the old lady's house and then the rats running the kitchen -- particular, as noted, the steam cleaning of the rats. Great fun!

The weaknesses, seemed a slightly unfocused telling of the story. The head-thumping explanations in particular: why Remy walks on two legs; the Fantasia-like display of taste; repeatedly reminding us that Gusteau is just Remy's imagination; "that was strangely involuntary" wink to the audience when Remy begins to control Linguine. Also, the romance came from nowhere. Two days in the kitchen, and Linguine loves the female chef? It felt awkward.

Regardless, it was a good movie. And I look forward to a second viewing on DVD.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I consider the tasting scenes a strength, not a weakness. It was a simple, direct way to visually represent a sense of taste. They were really well done. For me, the film is right up there along side The Incredibles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was ambivalent. I liked the style; it was a neat idea. And yet it felt somewhat discordant with the rest of the movie.

I definitely left the movie hungry :)

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I love the movie overall

the scene mentioned earlier
where Ego has his flashback, moved me unlike any other movie has in a long while. It may have something to do with the recent passing of my own mother

These guys know how to tell a story and don't rely on the fact they present it better than anyone else in the business. They do both unlike any other.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
10/10

Brad Bird is amazing. Both his features for Pixar (The Incredibles and Ratatouille) are at the top of my list for favorite Pixar movies, and that's saying a lot since they haven't made a film I do not enjoy.

What I wasn't expecting from this film was an emotional payoff, and boy do we get it in the last reel. The scene where the critic tries the ratatouille dish and is transported back to his childhood is inspired. And to finally see Remy get his gig as a chef, just after we think his dream was sunk by the authorities, well it almost brought a tear to my eye.

In a summer where the major blockbusters have disappointed me in one way or another, Ratatouille never let me down. Ironic that a 100 percent animated film can have more heart and more craft than other films that are a mix of live action and animation.

Brad Bird is simply one of the most talented directors alive right now, and Pixar one of the best studios in the business. What a remarkable achievement for an animation studio.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I told my wife on the way home that I would love to see him direct a live action feature. This is good news.

He's one of the best directors working right now.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

I'll wager that "B" score gets pushed up to "A" territory upon your second viewing. ;)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just came back from. definitely the best summer movie of 2007. i hadn't seen much of the spring movies, but i've seen most of the major 2007 releases and this one ranks waaay up there =P. imho, they did it again with ratatouille! brad bird is just one masterful guy. iron giant, incredibles, whatever he worked on as writer, now this. this rocks!

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I also saw the movie yesterday. It is my third best Pixar movie after The Incredibles and Toy Story II. I give 4/5 for now, but get the feeling this could go up.

One thing certain, it is the best movie of the year so far. The images were spectacular, well-written and really entertaining.

4/5

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
imho, it's the best pixar effort yet. toy story, ts2, incredibles, bugs life, finding nemo, cars were all fairly tamed and OK efforts. but ratatouille is just whole another level =).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
1. When I saw it, people were in a hurry to rush out at the end. Big mistake; that way, they missed out on all the stylized art like

Rats skating on "ice"; rats near "flames"; rats lounging around in Western / Mexican style; a rat displacing a "bridegroom" on a wedding cake and kissing the "bride"

2. Did anyone else notice that the human victim in "Lifted"

looks an awful lot like Linguini?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally saw this last night. Great film - one of the most original animated movies in a long time, and much more subtle than Cars or the Incredibles.

Pixar has been on a roll for quite a while. I feel like we are in Pixar's golden age, and it must be similar to what audiences experienced from Walt Disney's films in the late 30s and early 40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks