Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker selectors?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   RobCar

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 01:28 PM

Hi. I'm interested in having audio in a few rooms, but am wondering about the best approach. I currently have 5.1 in the living room running from my Yamaha RX-V2300. Should I simply run another pair of speakers off of the B terminals and a final pair off of Zone 2? Or should I get a speaker selector? If I go the speaker selector route, how exactly do those work? Do I connect the speaker connector from the B speakers? Are these bad for the receiver or speakers at all? Thanks!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Rokzi

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 02:46 PM

Looks like you have 3 locations that you want to put speakers in. If you only need 2 sets then use the Zone 2 feature of your Yammie. Normally you shouldn't run two pairs of speaker off one pair of terminals. It might overload your receiver. If you need to have 3 locations then you're better off getting a speaker selector. Monster cable has a good one that lets you switch between up to four speakers. It can also let you run two pairs of speakers simulteneously with circuit overload protection.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   RobCar

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 11:51 AM

But for three locations, can't I run: 1 pair off the A terminals 1 pair off the B terminals 1 pair off zone 2? Or is it simply better to go with a speaker selector?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Rokzi

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 07:56 PM

when you say A or B, does it mean that your receiver has an A/B speaker switch? if so, then you don't need a speaker selector. have you tried the A/B feature yet if you can turn both pairs on at the same time? I think most receivers that have that feature do.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   RobCar

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 07:46 AM

A and B both work at the same time. I believe "zone 2" would also work at the same time, in theory providing tunes to three rooms. But correct me if I'm wrong (I have a Yamaha RX-V2300).

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Rokzi

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 10:11 AM

Does your manual say anything about having them both pairs (A+B)on with some reference to the impendance of the speakers connected to them? That's the only other concern that you should check out. Assuming you won't have an issue with that, I believe then that you should be fine then!!!! Just use your A/B and Zone 2! Have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users