What's new

Speaker selectors? (1 Viewer)

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I'm interested in having audio in a few rooms, but am wondering about the best approach.

I currently have 5.1 in the living room running from my Yamaha RX-V2300. Should I simply run another pair of speakers off of the B terminals and a final pair off of Zone 2? Or should I get a speaker selector?

If I go the speaker selector route, how exactly do those work? Do I connect the speaker connector from the B speakers? Are these bad for the receiver or speakers at all?

Thanks!

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Looks like you have 3 locations that you want to put speakers in. If you only need 2 sets then use the Zone 2 feature of your Yammie. Normally you shouldn't run two pairs of speaker off one pair of terminals. It might overload your receiver.

If you need to have 3 locations then you're better off getting a speaker selector. Monster cable has a good one that lets you switch between up to four speakers. It can also let you run two pairs of speakers simulteneously with circuit overload protection.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
But for three locations, can't I run:

1 pair off the A terminals
1 pair off the B terminals
1 pair off zone 2?

Or is it simply better to go with a speaker selector?

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
when you say A or B, does it mean that your receiver has an A/B speaker switch? if so, then you don't need a speaker selector.

have you tried the A/B feature yet if you can turn both pairs on at the same time? I think most receivers that have that feature do.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
A and B both work at the same time. I believe "zone 2" would also work at the same time, in theory providing tunes to three rooms. But correct me if I'm wrong (I have a Yamaha RX-V2300).

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Does your manual say anything about having them both pairs (A+B)on with some reference to the impendance of the speakers connected to them? That's the only other concern that you should check out. Assuming you won't have an issue with that,
I believe then that you should be fine then!!!!
Just use your A/B and Zone 2!

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks