What's new

Who Still Has Their Original 1997 Release DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
When DVDs first hit the public markets in 1997, there were less than 100 titles available worldwide. Now there are over 100,000 titles in just 7 years... who said DVD wouldn't last?

We have had plenty of opportunities to replace those original 1997 releases which were single layer and often flippers devoid of extras and used first generation authoring equipment. Some early editions even came in clear plastic jewel cases the same size as music CDs.

I am sure some still people have those original releases for one reason or another. Who still has theirs?

Eric

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Are you asking about titles that have been re-issued but we stayed with the old ones, like GoodFellas? Or do you just want to know which circa-1997 era DVDs we have?

I know I've still got Blade Runner and Poltergeist but I'd gladly ditch them if they were redone. Otherwise, I think that's it...

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I still have a copy of Scream that I bought in late 1997. Only reason I still have it is that I am still waiting for an anamorphic widescreen re-release.

-Reagan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I keep all of my dvds including those that I bought with newer release versions of.

Crawdaddy

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I still have a few including some that came with my first DVD player purchase as Warner has some sort of promotional tie-in during the time. Some I am replacing or have replaced and like you Crawdaddy, am keeping the older ones too but why??? I do have one of the very scarce Lumivision DVDs that came out in a CD type jewel case and holding on to that mainly for historical value along with my crystal slider case Polygram titles.

Eric

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
We still have Batman and Sleepers as well as Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

--Ian

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Can't remember that far back! :)

No, I got the original 'Beethoven' still. It works, so no need to replace it. 'The Jackel' crapped out on me only a few months ago, and I know I still have 'Pelican Brief & Costner's 'Robin Hood' - not sure if they wre '97's, but they were flippers, Someone needs to point to a list that shows how many of them haven't been 'fixed' yet.

Glenn

cwhite

Second Unit
I still have my first DVD purchase Tomorrow Never Dies". I keep it to remind mw how much simpler DVD movies used to be: it only had one menu selection: fullscreen or widescreen.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I just chucked GOODFELLAS, so BATMAN and BLADE RUNNER (if that was one of the original titles) may be the only ones left.

I bought a combo Pioneer LD/DVD player, and five DVDs, the same day it was released, from a Manhattan Wiz that's gone now. And I bought it because the LD section had an automatic side-changing function, something none of my prior players had had.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I got species dvd as a gift for xmas dec 1997
bust didnt get my first dvd player feb 1998 (for my pc)
I bought the 5th element with that

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I still have Cutthroat Island - which I believe was one of the very first dvds released to the format. Probably haven't watched it since March 1997 - but who's keeping track? :) It was an astonishing experience at the time.

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
i still have my original copy of ghost in the shell from back in march 98.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get a player until 1999, but the following are the discs released in 1997 that I have:

Mars Attacks!
Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill Live
Night of the Living Dead Collector's Edition
The Mask
A League of Their Own
Tango & Cash
Dirty Harry
Hang 'Em High
The Toxic Avenger
Das Boot: Director's cut.

A lot of those will be replaced with newer editions as soon as i get around to it.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Peter... wasn't it though! I can remember showing off my DVDs to everyone I came across to astonish them how clear the picture was compared to regular TV or VHS. Now looking at those same DVDs is like listening to a CD versus a 45rpm record... well, maybe not that bad but close :)

There are definitely some that are in desperate need of replacing from the March 1997 releases.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks