Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DTS Battle of Britain coming to DVD packed with extras

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,446 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 09 2004 - 10:46 AM

Region 2 only as far as I know, but I'm sure a region 1 release can't be far behind.

Here are the specs...

Disc One:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Dolby Digital 5.1 (English)

DTS 5.1 (English)

Audio Commentary

Isolated Music Score - Dolby Digital 5.1

Disc 2:

"RAF Recollections" featurette (9min)

"Authenticity in the Air" featurette (22min.)

"A Film for the Few" featurette (20min.)

"Battle for the Battle of Britain" featurette (50min.)

Photo Gallery

Trailer

Posted Image

It's mine! Mine! I've always been a huge fan of this film and this is a dream come true, I just hope it has the original closing credits and music (unlike the region 1 version).

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 11:17 AM

Thankfully I have a region-free player as I doubt that MGM will be in any big hurry to bring this to R1 since they released their budget priced disc only last summer. I must have it...
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 09 2004 - 11:57 AM

MGM has been known to revisit titles, notably "The Princess Bride", quite soon after a first attempt. They got the R1 BOB wrong last summer. Since they obviously spent $$ preparing the R2 version there should be little effort in getting a revised R1 copy out. Nuts like me and Steve will buy it over and over again. At least I have the LD with the correct ending.

Posted Image

Although I'm still waiting for them to release a decent version of Exodus.....
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 02:36 PM

I really hope this gets a R1 release
~Brian

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 04:27 PM

Hey Michael, not to get off topic but what do you use for a region free player? How does has it worked for you? I'm in the market for a new player and would like it to be region free. Any suggestions or comments would be great!
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 04:49 PM

This title came out in R1 from MGM not long ago and it sells for around $10-14. I don't see MGM as a studio that re-re-releases its titles like Columbia for example, but anything is possible Posted Image

I have the soundtrack to the movie as well which is a fantastic listen, but a chance to hear it in full 5.1 Dolby Digital?!?!?
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Maggi Magg

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 08:39 PM

Hey there Steve
Where did you get this info????

Cheers
Maggi

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 09 2004 - 09:37 PM

Where did you get this info????

Info here and here.

---
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Maggi Magg

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 10:18 PM

Well i will belive it when i see it.
I´m sceptic regarding the DTS track.(MGM has not been the most active studio releasing films in DTS)
Then again if true VERY NICEPosted Image

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 03:07 AM

JoshB:
I have the soundtrack to the movie as well which is a fantastic listen, but a chance to hear it in full 5.1 Dolby Digital?!?!?

The film was originally a mono mix. I was working at Pinewood Studios when it was done.
Steve Pickard

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,446 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 03:08 AM

Phew! I woke up this morning thinking I had dreamt the whole thing up.Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 03:45 AM

Pretty sceptical here too; and I can't believe a DTS track will sound any better. A mono track would be nice if it was included instead DTS, but DTS and DD 5.1 is overkill IMHO.

---
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,446 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 05:10 AM

Here's an interesting bit of info for fans of William Walton, this from Ken Barnes at LaureateDVD.Com.

"I just received word from Joe Simpson, Vice President of MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) that a full-scale Special Edition of "The Battle of Britain" loaded with extras ( including a separate audio track for the wonderful score by Sir William Walton) will be issued in the U.K. late May/early June."

Which probably means the isolated score won't feature Ron Goodwin's famous Battle of Britain theme, sadly.

Lord of the Hubs

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 06:51 AM

Sounds like I'll be getting the R2 version & junking the R1 I have.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   jonathan_little

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 06:55 AM

So when the VP of MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) says "the wonderful score by Sir William Walton," I'm assuming he's either talking about the rejected score or he is confused as to who composed (most of) the music used in the film.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 07:55 PM

So when the VP of MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) says "the wonderful score by Sir William Walton," I'm assuming he's either talking about the rejected score or he is confused as to who composed (most of) the music used in the film.

There has long been a rumour that any SE of BoB would contain Walton's full restored score, something, before his death Ron Goodwin gave his full blessing to. But it would be nice to have the option of either score; I like Goodwin's score (and always chuckle when, on British ceremonial occasions, hear bands strike up his 'March of the Luftwaffe'), but Walton's 'Battle in the Air' really is, IMHO, the musical highlight of the original.

---
Film Journal Blog

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 10:59 PM

there was a small article in the general press in the UK a few months back which flagged up that the Walton original score was being re recorded for a Reg2 release.

This is one that I am happy to buy again and swap my reg1 version.

the DTS will be icing on the cake - the commentary and other extras are the really good news. Posted Image

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 04:22 AM

http://www.play.com/....7&p=57&c=&g=72

Is the current transfer good?

A Bridge Too Far: Special Edition will also be released the same day. I have the Australian edition and it is a great set. Region 1 still has no release date, which is strange.