Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA fans... let MGM know what you want on your DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted June 18 2001 - 09:29 PM

Since we now know that MGM has the rights for this title and rumored to be coming out in 2002, let's let them know what we want to do this film justice! As for me this is what I look forward to: New Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer(downconverted from hi-def) 5.1 DD Surround Fredkin Commentary (hopefully along with cast) Retrospective Documentary Featurette on Car Chase Deleted Scenes (with commentary) Wang Chung Video I dunno... any other suggestions? It be a shame if MGM didn't do this film right and made it a bare-bones title!

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted June 19 2001 - 04:19 AM

Maybe DTS and isolated score? I have the soundtrack and the music certainly is an essential part of this movie. ------------------

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Jeremy

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 19 2001 - 08:10 AM

How about the original burned in "Date and Time" subtitles that change fonts on every appearance. NO PLAYER GENERATED SUBTITLES!
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." -- Elvis Costello

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Paul E. Fox, II

Paul E. Fox, II

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted June 19 2001 - 06:22 PM

So far, I agree with the posts thus far, but for me...just give me the damn disc!

This is one of my Absolute Favorite movies...and I really would like to have it on DVD!

------------------
Regards,
Paul

Pap's DVD Collection

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 12:35 PM

Here, Here

Can't believe how underrated this picture is. I love the characters, well written!

------------------
British film-making blows away Hollywood.
Why? Verisimilitude!
Superman CINEMA
http://www.deceptions.net/superman

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 12:43 PM

I concur; the cast, the music, the story... bring it! Posted Image

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 01:26 PM

agreed! this was a great flick. i loved it so much i even picked up the soundtrack, which is now one of the few i actually still listen to now and then.

release it...and i will buy it!

Posted Image

------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,542 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:11 PM

Ditto! A Friedkin commentary would be great. I own the soundtrack also -- teriffic! One of my 2 most-wanted titles on DVD (the other being "The Last Seduction".)

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 08:00 PM

Agree with all features discussed previously. I'd like to hear commentary from Petersen and Dafoe as well. Also might add the original theatrical trailers and maybe a documentary or some text notes on the Secret Service's anti-counterfeiting practices. 'With The Exorcist and (soon-to-be) The French Connection out, I'll be one happy camper once this Friedkin classic arrives on DVD. Posted Image

------------------
--Mike

Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Max Renn

Max Renn

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 12:02 AM

How about the alternate ending shot in Alaska ?

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   DannyS

DannyS

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 12:33 AM

Alaska!? That ain't on the IMDB! Tell me more! what else is missing or deleted! I love this movie! ------------------ Panasonic TX-21M2T TV Sony DVP 536 Old Panasonic Stereo! :-)
even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

My DVD collection

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Garry Cowell

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 02:32 AM

This was on Channel 4 (UK) t'other night! Anamorphic 1.77:1 (on DIGITAL anyhow) and looking and sounding great. It also had a 40 seconds intro by Friedkin explaining that the counterfeiting procedure, used in the film, was been copied by people and that some kids stole (counterfeit) money from the set and used it at a store. He then said the treasury office were at that store hours later! LOL! Oh and as for the alternate ending some one on here said the following can't remember his name (Mark C?)...
Spoiler:
Okay, so as usual, the locker room deal goes sour, and Chance gets blown away, point blank, by the shotgun. Vukovich goes on the rampage and takes out Rick Masters, etc., etc. Then, IIRC, we see a news broadcast wrapping up the aftermath of the whole case, and suddenly we realize that we're inside a tiny shack, with two men watching the broadcast. It's Vukovich and...Chance! Somehow, he's alive! Chance manages a painful smile and then we cut to an aerial shot outside the shack. There's a sign that tells us it's a U.S. Government radio relay station, or something like that. We pull out even further, and realize that it's in the middle of nowhere, somewhere way up in the arctic. Apparently, they've been busted down as punishment for their wild and highly illegal campaign against Masters. The End.

Last films I watched (TV/VHS-DVD-Cinema)

A Nightmare On Elm Street - Le Professional - Notes On A Scandal

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   DannyS

DannyS

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 03:44 AM

How? Why? How? Where can I see this alternate ending? How have you seen it? Or have you just read about it? ------------------ Panasonic TX-21M2T TV Sony DVP 536 Old Panasonic Stereo! :-)

My DVD collection

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 04:14 AM

Dude, come on! Is that alternate ending for real?!?

If that truly is an alternate ending, then it has to be one of the lamest ideas ever come up with in Hollywood.

I, for one, think the film is brilliant as it is.

------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Garry Cowell

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 04:56 AM

The guy who told me about the ending said he saw it at a test screening. Friedkin has stated that the studio made him shoot it but he never wanted it to be used and I paraphrase something he said... "Chance's being trying to kill himself the whole movie, hell he jumps of a bridge in the opening 5 minutes. It was obvious he wasn't gonna live!"
Last films I watched (TV/VHS-DVD-Cinema)

A Nightmare On Elm Street - Le Professional - Notes On A Scandal

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 05:28 AM

I have started a petition to try and get MGM to do right by this film.

If you love this film as much as I do, please feel free to sign it.

------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   DannyS

DannyS

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 06:10 AM

Just signed I'm number 2.

My DVD collection

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Kenneth English

Kenneth English

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 07:38 AM

Features wanted in order of importance (to me Posted Image ) :

Anamorphic widescreen transfer
5.1 surround sound
"Making-of" documentary
Director commentary
Isolated score

Please, please, please MGM -- bring this one out! Hell, I'd buy a movie-only edition (but just pretend like you didn't read that...)!

Signed # 6 on petition!

Oh, yeah -- I read about that alternate ending once (I think it was the book Hurricane Billy by Nat Segaloff). Very weird.
Spoiler:
How exactly DOES one survive a point-blank shotgun blast to the face, anyway? Posted Image This could be useful info.

[Edited last by Kenneth English on September 05, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

[Edited last by Kenneth English on September 05, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 07:42 AM

I can't agree more with everything said above. This is an awesome film. For me, I'd like an anamorphic transfer, DTS, and isolated score. Some kind of commentary with cast/director would be gravy. Todd. ------------------ "He'll flip you, flip you for real."
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 07:57 AM

This is amazing! I started this thread in June and go so little responses that it shocked me! Didn't know if people cared about this movie. It's nice to know now that people really do care about this film. I consider it one of Friedkin's best and is definitely deserving of a top flight presentation! Yes, I did sign the petition (#4)! David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users