What's new

GREAT MOVIES from 1970-2000 still MIA on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...The Keep (1983) - I'm pretty sure this will never, ever be released, but I suppose I can list it yet again in a wish list thread. :) As I recall, I tried to watch this on Prime and it was a horrendous 4:3 version that was alive with motion artifacts and might have been one of the worst streamed videos I've ever experienced. Has it been replaced with a better version, assuming it is still on that platform? I have no idea...
It was on Netflix for a while - SD, but widescreen with picture quality about on par with a decent DVD.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way Amazon Prime is the worst way imo to watch these films as iTunes and VUDU look and sound better in almost every instance.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way I would love to have physical discs (4K or Blu Ray) Of these great films but until then the digital HD versions more than suffice.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
From my top 250:

The Adversary (1972)
All About My Mother (1999)
American Movie (1999)
As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000)
Carmen (1983)
Cocorico Monsieur Poulet (1974)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (1989)
The Dead (1987)
Devils on the Doorstep (2000)
Drowning By Numbers (1988)
Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
The Hole (1998)
I Stand Alone (1998)
In the Heat of the Sun (1994)
Leningrad Cowboys Go America (1989)
The Match Factory Girl (1990)
The Middleman (1976)
A Moment of Innocence (1996)
Not One Less (1999)
Ordinary People (1980)
Pink Floyd The Wall (1982)
Rat-Trap (1982)
Satantango (1994)
Secrets & Lies (1996)
Songs from the Second Floor (2000)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)
The Story of Qiu Ju (1992)
Swimming to Cambodia (1987)
A Tale of the Wind (1988)
Time of the Gypsies (1988)
The Vertical Ray of the Sun (2000)
Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
By the way Amazon Prime is the worst way imo to watch these films as iTunes and VUDU look and sound better in almost every instance.
I agree. I watch via Prime only when the film is offered for free as part of the Prime membership -- or if I am renting a recent release for free using some accumulated digital credits.

Riddles

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
Hello, first post here!

I see that most listed English-language movies, but I'd like to include some foreign gems that also deserve to be released on Blu-ray (Region A):

Dersu Uzala
Raise the Red Lantern
To Live
Yellow Earth
Pixote
The Mirror
Live Flesh
The Secret of my Success
The Eel
The Fourth Man
Maelström
Soldier of Orange
Red Sorghum
Beau travail
Black Rain (Imamura)
A City of Sadness
Flowers of Shanghai
Violette Nozière
Four Nights of a Dreamer
Tango
Werckmeister Harmonies
The Wild Child
The Kingdom (a TV series, not really a movie, but still...)

Some English-language ones:
Bullets Over Broadway
The Cotton Club
The End of the Affair
Avalon
Agnes of God
Z
Cry Freedom
Secret Honor
The Candidate
Crash (Cronenberg)
M. Butterfly
Sunshine (Szabó)
Matewan
The Straight Story
Rampage (Friedkin)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Pretty in Pink (1986) - Molly Ringwald's career as the quintessential teen who finds perfect romance despite great adversities was a role model for many a girl in the 80's. To date, this one remains the only movie from that successful spate of projects never to find its way to Blu-ray. (Rights holder: Paramount).

I'm quite shocked to see Pretty in Pink on this list. It's a beloved '80s movie, and I can't imagine Paramount not giving any effort to put in on Blu. Then again, this is Paramount we're talking about, so we might never see a Blu-Ray. They should license it to Olive Films (if not Criterion), or one of those niche companies that make those "big box" VHS-style packages with the faded cover art and the rental stickers. (The latter might sell a few more copies.)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I can't believe I forgot Cry Freedom - superb performances by Denzel and Kevin Kline. Powerful stuff. Also, I don't get the absence of The Cotton Club - the Francis Ford Coppola cut that ought to have hit theaters but had virtually all of its stunning musical performances slashed. There was a much talked about re-assembly of this footage at least 2 years ago. So, why a Blu has not come down the pike since is baffling indeed.

Re: The Secret of My Success - a German Blu was released a while back - region free - and looking very snazzy indeed.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My wish list-
The Four Seasons (the Alan Alda film)
Lone Star (great John Sayles film)
High Risk (fun adventure film with a good cast)
Local Hero
Pink Floyd: The Wall

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Most of what I want to own on BD is already available but these are still sadly missing:

The Parallax View
Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
Soldier of Orange
Turkish Delight
Pastorale 1943

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
So many great films on these lists. I agree with many of them. I'd also add:

Paper Moon (1973)
Nickelodeon (1976)
Android (1982)
The Brother from Another Planet (1984)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't get the absence of The Cotton Club - the Francis Ford Coppola cut that ought to have hit theaters but had virtually all of its stunning musical performances slashed. There was a much talked about re-assembly of this footage at least 2 years ago. So, why a Blu has not come down the pike since is baffling indeed.

You have probably heard by now that the new "Cotton Club Encore" is coming to Blu next month, right? If not, check this out:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...oming-to-blu-ray-in-new-directors-cut.339567/

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Well, a few titles at least have made it out this year.

Very nice to have The Black Hole (finally!) and, for those who really wanted it, Skatetown USA.
I'm personally thrilled to be getting a properly color timed 1979 Dracula, as well as a companion summer-of-1979 creature feature, Prophecy.
Also, a great early seventies rom-dram-com, A Touch Of Class.

And since we are closing in on the end of the year, and this is the season, here are some other treasures from the seventies and early eighties that I'm thankful were released this year

Sarah T- Portrait Of A Teenage Alcoholic
FM
Endless Love
The Prisoner Of Second Avenue
Bronco Billy
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
(a nifty improvement over the UK release several years back)
Get Out Your Handkerchiefs
Green Card
The Brink's Job
The Silent Partner
(I already had the pricy Japanese release, but was happy to see an economical domestic release for everyone else)
Sweet Charity
Un Coeur En Hiver
(early nineties, but still much appreciated)
Winter Kills

and one of my absolute favorite, and somewhat unexpected delights this year- Alien UHD.
Unexpected because it reinstates the original theatrical coloring timing that hasn't been seen on a disc release since the first DVD release twenty years ago. Getting that sanity back was a major coup and earns my hearty thanks to Mr. Scott for seeing the light.

As for what I'd like to see that is unreleased- the Paramount catalog is still the really only big nut that needs to be cracked. Shout has been able to get a few of my fave shlockier titles out or imminent. Would very much like to get Ragtime, Pretty Baby, Foul Play, Parallax View, Ordinary People, amongst others.
I've got a sensational Bd of Paper Moon that's Region B. It may be out of print, but really needs to be released in R:A, in any case.

I have faith it won't be too much longer before we see the WA kick out things like Mosquito Coast, The Year Of Living Dangerously, Straight Time.

Fox, being under the Disney umbrella now is suddenly a bigger ?. I've heard rumors that Criterion has Unmarried Woman. I hope that pans out. Turning Point is another "woman's picture" from the same era that I would love to see, but prospects for something like that look a lot murkier now.

Overall I'm going to remain optimistic. 2019 was a fantastic year for Bd releases from these decades. Almost everything else is gravy to me at this point.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Well, a few titles at least have made it out this year.

Fox, being under the Disney umbrella now is suddenly a bigger ?. I've heard rumors that Criterion has Unmarried Woman. I hope that pans out. Turning Point is another "woman's picture" from the same era that I would love to see, but prospects for something like that look a lot murkier now.

It would be amazing if Criterion released Unmarried Woman; and as for The Turning Point, I don't know why FOX sees it as an embarrassment... other films have had 10 nominations and no wins. Give it too to Criterion! Please! Long overdue!

Maybe now that Disney owns it, they won't see it as such an embarrassment.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Is there any interest from the forum for "Frances" 1980 with Jessica Lange? I rarely see it come up on these lists.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is there any interest from the forum for "Frances" 1980 with Jessica Lange? I rarely see it come up on these lists.

There surely is! It was produced by Mel Brook's company Brooksfilms and distributed in the US by Universal, but there has been absolutely no DVD or Blu release of it anywhere. 'Bout time... Sensational performance by Lange. Hard to watch at times, but Brooks was not a stranger to downbeat material (ELEPHANT MAN, DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, etc.) when he wasn't cracking everyone up with campfire farting fests or libidinous man-made monsters. I'd pre-order FRANCES the moment it is announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks