What's new

GREAT MOVIES from 1970-2000 still MIA on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

Dear Dick, regarding your addendum to the titles I originally listed in post 1: I was referring to region 1 discs. The Christies' won't play in North America so they remain MIA in my opinion. Ditto for The Elephant Man. You were right about The Falcon and the Snowman, though. Whoops! Don't know how I missed that!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I can’t call this a great movie, but it’s a fun one-
Cheech And Chong’s Nice Dreams. I’d like to see this one released so I can put it comfortably next to Up In Smoke and Next Movie.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I think most of these have been mentioned, but here goes:

The Mosquito Coast
The Year of Living Dangerously
"Z" - surprised Criterion hasn't released an upgrade yet
The Parallax View
(not a cinematic treasure at all, but the OOP DVD is pan/scan and it's pretty hilarious - Dead Man on Campus)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think most of these have been mentioned, but here goes:

The Mosquito Coast
The Year of Living Dangerously...
If we're talking about Peter Weir and Region A, might as well toss Gallipoli in there, as well.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Dear Dick, regarding your addendum to the titles I originally listed in post 1: I was referring to region 1 discs. The Christies' won't play in North America so they remain MIA in my opinion. Ditto for The Elephant Man. You were right about The Falcon and the Snowman, though. Whoops! Don't know how I missed that!
Looks like there's a 4K version of Elephant Man in the works for Europe, and those discs aren't region-locked.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A Touch of Class (1973) Glenda Jackson and George Segal make wonderfully flawed music together in this frank and funny rom/com with a lot to say about extra-marital relations. (Rights holder: Warner Bros.)
Now available via Warner Archive.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There surely is! It was produced by Mel Brook's company Brooksfilms and distributed in the US by Universal, but there has been absolutely no DVD or Blu release of it anywhere. 'Bout time... Sensational performance by Lange. Hard to watch at times, but Brooks was not a stranger to downbeat material (ELEPHANT MAN, DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, etc.) when he wasn't cracking everyone up with campfire farting fests or libidinous man-made monsters. I'd pre-order FRANCES the moment it is announced.

Replying to my own post, I must make a correction: FRANCES was available on DVD from Anchor Bay, and includes a commentary, documentary and trailer. This looks to be OOP. Amazon also lists a Blu-ray available that may be from Spain, but it has all the ear marks of a legitimate commercial product. It is region B locked, has the Studio Canal logo, etc. Check it out (and it's cheap!):

https://www.amazon.es/Frances-Blu-r...&keywords=frances&qid=1574475074&s=dvd&sr=1-1

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Was looking at my dvd library and noticed that one of my favorites The Plot Against Harry (1970) is not on Blu-ray. Great film and the dvd released by New Yorker Video has a nice print of the film but the dvd was released 15 years ago so a revisit would be nice.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The one I really want is Day of the Locust. It's one of the best dark Hollywood movies and got shoved aside because it came out at the same time as Nashville. The DVD of it is pretty crummy. It really deserves better.
Have that Paramount dvd release too and a great film about Hollywood's darker side.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have a long list. I'll just start with these...

Catch 22.jpg

A fantastic film, though at the time overshadowed by Robert Altman's MASH, that delves into the madness of war, of men in general, and it makes me laugh. Brilliant cast that is a joy to watch and gorgeously photographed. Makes a fantastic companion piece to Kubrick's Strangelove. Satire was wonderfully done by filmmakers of the 1970s, this picture is smart, funny, and makes you think. It's not available on blu-ray because, Paramount, but if they want to get a film out that would look fabulous on Blu-ray, this is it. My grandfather gave me the novel when I was about 10 and said "You don't have to read this now but you do have to read it."

Now while I am on Mike Nichols missing on blu...

Carnal Knowledge.jpg

Nichols knew how to pull great performances out of his actors and when you have Jack Nicholson to work with well...you are going to get something truly riveting. Sure it is of its time but that is part of the point. It is sort of an ugly look at women and men and how they relate so I doubt it would be considered a "feel good" experience. It would now be considered totally politically incorrect but there is a brutal honestly at the bottom of it and the acting is outstanding.

I've heard rumors these both could come from Criterion, which would be fantastic, but I have not heard any confirmation of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks