What's new

WHERE FOR ART THOU CLASSICS? (2 Viewers)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Yes, we used to dress up in our Sunday best to go to the reserved seat Cinerama productions and roadshow attractions like My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music. I remember them as if it were yesterday. We had to drive 40 miles to get to the theaters showing them, so it was a special occasion.

I'm seeing My Fair Lady on the big screen for the first time this weekend. While the presentation won't be as wonderful as what you experienced, I couldn't be more excited, and I'm sure it will be like seeing it for the first time, like my first time seeing The Sound of Music and other classics, especially roadshow films, on the big screen.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember My Fair Lady with special fondness because I had seen the original Broadway production as a young boy and now was getting to relive that experience on the big screen. The theater where the movie was playing its roadshow engagement had just been built and My Fair Lady was its premiere attraction so everything was brand new with plush seats, deep carpeting, and a first class presentation. With purchased hardback souvenir book in hand (which I still have), it was a thrilling experience for me as a teen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And if I'm not mistaken, the LD transfer is from a 70mm or 35mm 3 panel combine/composite for general release, hence the cropping on the sides.

The LD is from 35mm general release. I think the TCM broadcast is from Ultra Panavision 70mm 2.76:1 so no picture info is cropped (for prologue and opening titles). Rest of the broadcast has the same picture info on the sides as the LD.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I remember My Fair Lady with special fondness because I had seen the original Broadway production as a young boy and now was getting to relive that experience on the big screen. The theater where the movie was playing its roadshow engagement had just been built and My Fair Lady was its premiere attraction so everything was brand new with plush seats, deep carpeting, and a first class presentation. With purchased hardback souvenir book in hand (which I still have), it was a thrilling experience for me as a teen.

Wow, two incredible experiences! I would have loved to have seen the original Broadway production of My Fair Lady, although I was fortunate enough to attend "A Royal Christmas" with Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. It was in 2002 and while she didn't sing per se, because of her vocal damage, she did speak sing one Christmas song, although I can't remember which one now. It's a memory I treasure.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wow, two incredible experiences! I would have loved to have seen the original Broadway production of My Fair Lady

I wish I had seen the original stars, but they had moved on to London by 1958, and we saw their first replacements: Sally Ann Howes and Edward Mulhare. Not too shabby.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
if you haven't already, watch this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5217256/

it's mainly about projectionists near where i live :) but i bet the feeling will be universal.
Ive seen that, personally I was dissapointed in it. It may have lacked hands on experience from a projectionist film maker.. Sorry but thats my 2 cents worth.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I'm seeing My Fair Lady on the big screen for the first time this weekend. While the presentation won't be as wonderful as what you experienced, I couldn't be more excited, and I'm sure it will be like seeing it for the first time, like my first time seeing The Sound of Music and other classics, especially roadshow films, on the big screen.

I trust that you saw MFL in 70mm ( on the big screen) and not in digital. You need to have seen it on a 60ft wide screen at least in 70mm to get the full effect of the process. I saw 181 feature films projected in 70mm and almost always on screens that were around the 60 ft or more size screens. Where I worked ,we had a 60ft wide screen for 70mm.SOUND OF MUSIC looked amazing on our screen - it ran for 41 weeks..If you only saw MFL in digital, then you have missed a fruly incredible experience by not seeing it in 70mm,as it was meant to be seen.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
I've said this in so many threads already, but at the risk of repeating myself - in the year 2017, the market for physical home media is fracturing and shrinking. If you are a fan of collecting physical media, the responsibility is now on you as a collector to acquire a region free player, many of which can be had for around just $100 - or less than the cost of four Twilight Time discs.

Whether or not this is a fair burden seems irrelevant to me at this point. It is what it is.

You can also get a PS4 (Play Station 4) or an Xbox One and set it up so that you can watch DVD & Blu-Ray discs region free.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Not that it's anyone but the Museo Nazionale del Cinema of Turin's fault, but where is the gorgeous restored 1914 Cabira with the extended original score recorded at the Cannes screening of 2005 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks