What's new

WHERE FOR ART THOU CLASSICS? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hi Roland, that's correct the print is ok but not perfect and has shrunk pretty bad in some sections, so when its projected it needs to be
watched all the time. The last time I saw it at Bradford the centre panel ripped about 5 mins before the intermission .
Also as you know The END title is missing from the original print and they have added one then putting black spacing in A and C panels.

Thanks as always for you great Cinerama Website

regards

Derek.

Hi Derek,

I remember a problem also at the Dome but, I think it was earlier in the showing.

Thanks,

Roland

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If Warners started a Go Fund Me like campaign and accepted donations to restore, say, Around The World In 80 Days, would you be willing to contribute and how much? I seriously doubt that if every fanboy coughed up a $100 that it would still be enough. Maybe if Warners matched every donation received and even then I have my doubts.

Well, WB will never hold a Go Fund Me fund-raiser. Yes, I would contribute $100.00 for ATWI80D if they did. But only a limited number of us true obsessives probably would, certainly not enough to cover a multi-million dollar restoration. It was, after all (and in my opinion, not deservedly) named Best Picture of 1956, and is among only a half-dozen such Oscar-winners not have received Blu-ray treatment (I am still frustrated that Paramount hasn't at least licensed ORDINARY PEOPLE, which one might think would still have an enthusiastic consumer base...and to hell with THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, by comparison, in my opinion).

You consistently make salient points in your posts, Thomas, some of which I strongly disagree with, but your comments regarding dwindling Blu-ray sales and studio support are generally spot-on. That does not stop avid collectors from leaving requests here for the release of classic titles, and I don't think that these are all falling on deaf ears. So, even if only a half dozen of our collective requests in a given year are actually released, it kind of makes it worth it for us to keep pounding away, no?

I have seen the HD master of AROUND THE WORLD and it looks very good to me on a 55" display. Perhaps not up to true Blu-ray specs, but very acceptable. Too bad WB is the perfectionist it is, because this transfer would almost certainly satisfy most collectors (who, after all, are the main consumer base for the Archive titles), and will at this point probably never be made available to us. The Archives could release a Blu of the slightly truncated THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, minus the few "restored" minutes that the DVD included which are of lesser quality, and most of us would be ecstatic. I do truly believe that WB wants to provides its consumer base with the best possible transfers, but sans full restorations, they could give us a few of the most oft-requested titles with ever-so-slightly-less-than-Blu-ray-specs. Kino and TT and a few other niche labels would be deliriously happy to be able to release these, I suspect.

In any case, it's always good reading your posts and I hope we will continue to be surprised by the announcements of forthcoming classic on Blu-ray.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, WB will never hold a Go Fund Me fund-raiser. Yes, I would contribute $100.00 for ATWI80D if they did. But only a limited number of us true obsessives probably would, certainly not enough to cover a multi-million dollar restoration. It was, after all (and in my opinion, not deservedly) named Best Picture of 1956, and is among only a half-dozen such Oscar-winners not have received Blu-ray treatment (I am still frustrated that Paramount hasn't at least licensed ORDINARY PEOPLE, which one might think would still have an enthusiastic consumer base...and to hell with THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, by comparison, in my opinion).

You consistently make salient points in your posts, Thomas, some of which I strongly disagree with, but your comments regarding dwindling Blu-ray sales and studio support are generally spot-on. That does not stop avid collectors from leaving requests here for the release of classic titles, and I don't think that these are all falling on deaf ears. So, even if only a half dozen of our collective requests in a given year are actually released, it kind of makes it worth it for us to keep pounding away, no?

I have seen the HD master of AROUND THE WORLD and it looks very good to me on a 55" display. Perhaps not up to true Blu-ray specs, but very acceptable. Too bad WB is the perfectionist it is, because this transfer would almost certainly satisfy most collectors (who, after all, are the main consumer base for the Archive titles), and will at this point probably never be made available to us. The Archives could release a Blu of the slightly truncated THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, minus the few "restored" minutes that the DVD included which are of lesser quality, and most of us would be ecstatic. I do truly believe that WB wants to provides its consumer base with the best possible transfers, but sans full restorations, they could give us a few of the most oft-requested titles with ever-so-slightly-less-than-Blu-ray-specs. Kino and TT and a few other niche labels would be deliriously happy to be able to release these, I suspect.

In any case, it's always good reading your posts and I hope we will continue to be surprised by the announcements of forthcoming classic on Blu-ray.

While I'm not a fan of the 1956 ATWI80D (bloated and dull), I would still get it for all those wonderful cameos and I do have a soft spot for Roadshow movies. So yes, I do hope Warners gets around to eventually releasing it on blu ray. Until then, the DVD will have to do though to be honest, it's gathering dust on the shelf as I have no inclination to revisit it in recent years. The fact that a film has won an Oscar doesn't mean much to me and shouldn't get a priority release just because it has, in fact, won an Oscar. I'm not anti-Oscar but considering some of the dreadful films it's honored, it's hardly a benchmark for quality cinema :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
While I'm not a fan of the 1956 ATWI80D (bloated and dull), I would still get it for all those wonderful cameos and I do have a soft spot for Roadshow movies. So yes, I do hope Warners gets around to eventually releasing it on blu ray.

I can understand why this film would seem "bloated and dull," and for today's audiences, it probably is (thus the lack of financial support for a restoration). It's a three-hour travelogue with some cool set pieces and a slew of celebrity cameos, most not even recognizable by current audiences, and is otherwise kind of eventless. But I saw this at age 6 at the (long gone) Stuart theater in Lakeville, Connecticut (anyone else here old enough and of that area remember this?), and it made a huge impression on me. I am sure this was not the roadshow edition as it was a small local cinema, but when you're six back in 1956 (age giveaway?) this was monstrously impressive, as was BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI a year later. I had a little boy crush on Shirley MacLaine, and our father had purchased the soundtrack album, which I played incessantly. So, for me, and probably for many others here, this film has a nostalgic meaning that reaches way beyond any minor affection younger viewers might have for it.

The admittedly small surviving demographic who recall these showings of the film would love nothing more than to see this looking the best it can on Blu-ray. But we'll be dying relatively soon, and that's probably a consideration that the studio has when it comes to consideration of a major restoration.

Tough bein' an old fart in this video climate!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I can understand why this film would seem "bloated and dull," and for today's audiences, it probably is (thus the lack of financial support for a restoration). It's a three-hour travelogue with some cool set pieces and a slew of celebrity cameos, most not even recognizable by current audiences, and is otherwise kind of eventless. But I saw this at age 6 at the (long gone) Stuart theater in Lakeville, Connecticut (anyone else here old enough and of that area remember this?), and it made a huge impression on me. I am sure this was not the roadshow edition as it was a small local cinema, but when you're six back in 1956 (age giveaway?) this was monstrously impressive, as was BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI a year later. I had a little boy crush on Shirley MacLaine, and our father had purchased the soundtrack album, which I played incessantly. So, for me, and probably for many others here, this film has a nostalgic meaning that reaches way beyond any minor affection younger viewers might have for it.

The admittedly small surviving demographic who recall these showings of the film would love nothing more than to see this looking the best it can on Blu-ray. But we'll be dying relatively soon, and that's probably a consideration that the studio has when it comes to consideration of a major restoration.

Tough bein' an old fart in this video climate!

Speak for yourself! I for one intend to live forever!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I find Around the World in 80 Days to be a fascinating and fun movie. Far from perfect, but it really doesn't seem that long. I think a lot of negative opinions are based on seeing the garbage pan & scan master on tape, laserdisc, and TV for so many years.

It's no Lawrence of Arabia, but this is still at the top of my list to see in a proper theater someday.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The laser disc has the sound from the prologue but no picture, TCM has both.
The laser disc is cropped on both sides compared to the TCM broadcast.
The laser disc is missing the overture and intermission music, TCM has both.

Click on the link below my signature, then click on the The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm to see more info and examples of the difference at the bottom of the page.

And if I'm not mistaken, the LD transfer is from a 70mm or 35mm 3 panel combine/composite for general release, hence the cropping on the sides.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was checking my little Blu-ray stash, & found that I have a fair few 30s & 40's b/w movies, mainly thanks to those fantastic Universal Horror releases & WAC Bogie & Noir releases, (& a few Sony's), & the main thing is these releases look fantastic (& The Sea Wolf is on its way), just a few years ago there was hardly any 30s & 40s released.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Hi Roland, that's correct the print is ok but not perfect and has shrunk pretty bad in some sections, so when its projected it needs to be
watched all the time. The last time I saw it at Bradford the centre panel ripped about 5 mins before the intermission .
Also as you know The END title is missing from the original print and they have added one then putting black spacing in A and C panels.

Thanks as always for you great Cinerama Website

regards

Derek.

From what I understand is that TWWOTBG was made up from 2 Cinerama prints. When I saw this print in Australia several years ago, I seem to recall that one section had sub-titles. That could account for it being composed from 2 prints of the film. I also don't recall that THE END title was missing as I always assumed that it finished with 'and they lived happily ever after' rather than 'the end'. I may be wrong. I first saw it in Auckland, New Zealand in Cinerama and again in 35mm where I worked also in New Zealand. Ah, the memories of when going to the cinema was an 'experience'. Sadly it isn't the case to-day.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I find Around the World in 80 Days to be a fascinating and fun movie. Far from perfect, but it really doesn't seem that long. I think a lot of negative opinions are based on seeing the garbage pan & scan master on tape, laserdisc, and TV for so many years.

It's no Lawrence of Arabia, but this is still at the top of my list to see in a proper theater someday.

I strongly recommend to see it in a theater - or at least on a big home theater screen.

There is so much little stuff going on in the frame most of the time and here is so much to see that it is very beneficial that it was shot at such a leisurely pace. I always found it a pleasure to look at and still it has a proper story which cannot really be said for classic travelogues.

I saw it in theaters three times now and it was quite the experience io witness it in 3 different formats:

At first I saw it in a very out of focus 34 mm cinestage print, some members may want to read more about Cinestage here:
http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/2001/64/cinestage/index.htm

So that was not really a good experience of a process that must have been quite impressive when the print was still in good shape even less so as it was the dubbed French version and my French is nothing to brag about so I walked out on that one coming away from it disappointed.

Then a few years later I managed to watch it in 70mm with 24 frames and at last in the same year in 70mm with 30 frames like it was intended to be shown - magnificent despite the faded colors.

The next time I watch it it will probably be either on Blu-ray or I will have to resort to the vudu version that has been residing on my PS3 for some time now - time to get that big curved screen ready for the proper experience!

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
In what timeframe did you work there, did you still get to project 3-strip cinerama and first run 70mm productions ?
You must have great memories of that time!
I worked at Cinerama Auckland after 3 strip which I went to as a kid. I was there in the 70s, the curved screen had been removed as it was impossible to use when they went to 35/70MM. The screen was massive for 35MM and sometimes the prints didnt look good. The Cinerama was a great theatre, I always liked it and the modernisation that was carried out for 3 strip, the whole place was changed. Sad to see it was ripped down in the end like all the rest...

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
From what I understand is that TWWOTBG was made up from 2 Cinerama prints. When I saw this print in Australia several years ago, I seem to recall that one section had sub-titles. That could account for it being composed from 2 prints of the film. I also don't recall that THE END title was missing as I always assumed that it finished with 'and they lived happily ever after' rather than 'the end'. I may be wrong. I first saw it in Auckland, New Zealand in Cinerama and again in 35mm where I worked also in New Zealand. Ah, the memories of when going to the cinema was an 'experience'. Sadly it isn't the case to-day.
Hi Cinemiracle This print is very badly shrunk so this needs to go straight on a take-up spool as I does
with the A and C panels at Bradford but the Centre panel is run from a platter and going over more rollers can cause problems.
Maybe when you saw this same print the end was not damaged and was complete, you were a lucky man indeed.

regards

Derek.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I worked at Cinerama Auckland after 3 strip which I went to as a kid. I was there in the 70s, the curved screen had been removed as it was impossible to use when they went to 35/70MM. The screen was massive for 35MM and sometimes the prints didnt look good. The Cinerama was a great theatre, I always liked it and the modernisation that was carried out for 3 strip, the whole place was changed. Sad to see it was ripped down in the end like all the rest...

Looks like you made the right choice of seeing the good stuff yourselves before you worked there :)
It is very often the same pattern: 50s/60s in 70mm and cinerama, 70s downhill and from the 80s onwards the majority of the big roadshow cinemas got ripped down, in Berlin for example all the 3 biggest widescreen cinema screens are all either gone completely or repurposed for something else and it is the same in the city where I live now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks