What's new

Paradigm Studio 100's w/ Marantz 8200? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Would a Marantz 8200 be enough to drive some Studio 100's to their best? I'm seriously looking at some Studio 60's, but I would like to know what are my amps current limits with the Paradigm studio line.

Thanks for your time.
lpr

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Louis-Phillipe,

Home Theater Magazine had a review of the 8200 in the Aug. '02 issue. One of the test speaker sets was Paradigm...but it was the Studio 20's, not the towers. Anyway, you might want to look it up.

Anyway, the useful power chart and comments provided by them show the 8200 to be reasonably powerful...5 channels with 8 ohm loads and .1% distortion showed 91.5 watts. 2 channels under the same conditions showed 107 watts. 2 channel at 4 Ohms under those conditions showed 174 watts.
Very nice...but not exactly ringing with juice...perhaps a better choice for the 60's if you have no future plans for additional external amping for the 8200.

I'm sure others will chime in soon enough but my experience with quality towers is that they are at their best when given lots of power. My advice is to add a 2-3 channel amp for the frontstage if you're going for the 100's or drop to the 60's as is. My $.02

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon 3803 and 100's on the way. I am not under the illusion that I will get the most out of the 100's, but I do feel I will do them well enough to enjoy them. I do have plans to have a seperate dedicated amp by the end of the year, but I couldn't afford to do it all at once.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll go with my first choice (the 60's). I have no plans at the current time for additional amplification.

Also, I have a big decision to make... wood or laminated? ;)

Take care,
lpr

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
HI,
If you can afford either one , get the 100's, I have owned both and the 100's are significantly better. The marantz will have plenty power for the 100's. The 100 sound their best with 120 watts plus, but the marantz and the 100's will still be better than the 60's and the marantz.

Jeff

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I said:
I have a Denon 3803 and 100's on the way. I am not under the illusion that I will get the most out of the 100's, but I do feel I will do them well enough to enjoy them. I do have plans to have a seperate dedicated amp by the end of the year, but I couldn't afford to do it all at once.
I just received the Studio 100's today. I hooked them up 10 minutes ago. I couldn't wait to get online to post the results. Powered again by a Denon 3803, CD's played in direct mode with the sub turned off is a joy. They are a bit bright right now. I'm sure the speakers will settle down after several hours of play time.

Immediate feeling when I first turned on the receiver...liquid. I have roughly a 17.5 x 21.5 room. The music is pouring out of the speakers like a river flowing through my room. I had my studio 20's up front while I was waiting on the 100's. I thought the difference between the 7semk3's I was using and the studio 20's was drastic. It was in both detail and imaging, but the 100's are more fluid. I'm sure this has alot to me not calibrating my servo 15 properly with the 20's, but I didn't want to do that with the 100's on the way.

This was the reason I purchased the 100's. I wanted to have a truely full range speaker to listen to music without the sub being so critical. So far, they are living up to my expectations, but after 10 mins I can only say you should be impressed even using the marantz. I know they perform better with the 3803 than the 20's, so I would assume the same would be true when comparing them with the 60's. I will be listening more as the break in.

EDIT:...Talk about heavy. I had to bring those suckers up a flight of stairs. These are not for the weak unless you have plenty of friends.

Jim_Lan

Agent
I purchased 8200 and studio 100's in Jan. Couldn't be happier.. No problem driving the speakers even at levels I would not normally listen at. Most of my time is with CD's but movies are equally incredible. Buy and enjoy..

Jim_Lan

Agent
One more thing. I saw that Marantz has announced in Europe an upgrade to the 8200, you can see it if you look at European web site. One of the things it fixes is the 2 sec delay when switcing tracks.. Auppose to be coming to states soon. Make sure you get that

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks