What's new

Surprise upgrade… (1 Viewer)

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Arrived. Thus far, quite impressed. Great monitor. After downloading new software for Promise RAIDS, all seems well. The Scandisk worked perfectly out of the box. Now waiting for upgraded Caldigit and a few new Thunderbolt 4 cables.

It’s always ongoing.
Excellent.
always ongoing Indeed.
interested in the speeds you'll achieve with the Thunderbolt 4 cables.
should be mighty fast.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Excellent.
always ongoing Indeed.
interested in the speeds you'll achieve with the Thunderbolt 4 cables.
should be mighty fast.
Just updating my Caldigit to the 4, which will affect RAID throughput.

I had to call Apple for some tech advice - used the word RAID - and when they had no idea what it was - requested a supervisor - who got it

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Just updating my Caldigit to the 4, which will affect RAID throughput.

I had to call Apple for some tech advice - used the word RAID - and when they had no idea what it was - requested a supervisor - who got it
When I walk into an Apple Store and speak to the Genius Bar techs

I always start off by telling them everything I’ve done then they come back to me with questions of troubleshooting

I always respond. Yes, I did that. Yes, I did that. Yes, I did that.

I dislike talking to them.
I’m intrigued what was your question?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I walk into an Apple Store and speak to the Genius Bar techs

I always start off by telling them everything I’ve done then they come back to me with questions of troubleshooting

I always respond. Yes, I did that. Yes, I did that. Yes, I did that.

I dislike talking to them.
I’m intrigued what was your question?
Problem was the Studio was not recognizing either of the promise RAIDs. I had upgraded Promise software in previous computer, and presumed it would carry over. It had not.

Simple fix, once I found someone who knew what a RAID was. The techs all seem like nice folks, but it’s very much the luck of the draw. You just have to recognize when to pull the plug on a tech and and ask for a Super-Tech.

Now that I’ve been using this a few days - incredibly fast. Correct decision not going to the Pro.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Problem was the Studio was not recognizing either of the promise RAIDs. I had upgraded Promise software in previous computer, and presumed it would carry over. It had not.

Simple fix, once I found someone who knew what a RAID was. The techs all seem like nice folks, but it’s very much the luck of the draw. You just have to recognize when to pull the plug on a tech and and ask for a Super-Tech.

Now that I’ve been using this a few days - incredibly fast. Correct decision not going to the Pro.
Oh, OK. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.Sad to hear that the word RAID meant nothing to a few of the GENIUSES there.

I love that you’re saying it’s incredibly fast

That’s fantastic. I knew it would be.
very happy for you.

I actually just went through a bit of a situation, I bought a LaCie 2Big Dock Raid drive few months ago that kept failing.
I mean, I would put 4 TB on the 16 TB drive (two 8 TB drives)

I configured them as RAID 0 as I needed the space for my home media server (4K discs eat up quite a bit of space, 80GB, 90GB per movie…some of the older discs being 60GB only…it adds up)

But every time I would get more than five or 6 TB on the drive
I would notice it would lag when I tried to open it

I kept backing up all the data on other drives I had and reformatting

But after doing that four or five times I realized the issue was not going to go away.

I wrote to Seagate, told them I wanted to send the machine in for warranty and asked them for a warranty repair and shipping label.

before I ever boxed it up... two days later I get a delivery

Seagate sent me a brand new system LaCie 2 Big Dock system.

just returned my faulty one today with a return label they included on box.

I reloaded my data on it and now I'm crossing my fingers but knock on wood. Everything seems OK so far.

I bought a few USB-C cables I found on Amazon.
I didn't think I would notice a speed difference, but I did as soon as I started using them

See attached.
They carry 240 W of power and transfer at up to 40 GB per second.

IMG_5706.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

To be fair, Apple Geniuses only really have to be intimately familiar with Apple proprietary tech, and not so much with RAID arrays.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To be fair, Apple Geniuses only really have to be intimately familiar with Apple proprietary tech, and not so much with RAID arrays.
It was only a single Apple tech, and they had no idea what I was trying to tell them.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Oh, OK. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.Sad to hear that the word RAID meant nothing to a few of the GENIUSES there.

I love that you’re saying it’s incredibly fast

That’s fantastic. I knew it would be.
very happy for you.

I actually just went through a bit of a situation, I bought a LaCie 2Big Dock Raid drive few months ago that kept failing.
I mean, I would put 4 TB on the 16 TB drive (two 8 TB drives)

I configured them as RAID 0 as I needed the space for my home media server (4K discs eat up quite a bit of space, 80GB, 90GB per movie…some of the older discs being 60GB only…it adds up)

But every time I would get more than five or 6 TB on the drive
I would notice it would lag when I tried to open it

I kept backing up all the data on other drives I had and reformatting

But after doing that four or five times I realized the issue was not going to go away.

I wrote to Seagate, told them I wanted to send the machine in for warranty and asked them for a warranty repair and shipping label.

before I ever boxed it up... two days later I get a delivery

Seagate sent me a brand new system LaCie 2 Big Dock system.

just returned my faulty one today with a return label they included on box.

I reloaded my data on it and now I'm crossing my fingers but knock on wood. Everything seems OK so far.

I bought a few USB-C cables I found on Amazon.
I didn't think I would notice a speed difference, but I did as soon as I started using them

See attached.
They carry 240 W of power and transfer at up to 40 GB per second.

View attachment 217902
Latest upgrades were a couple of non-TBolt 4 cables, along with the newer TBolt 4 Caldigit. Where a data file converting speed on a one hour film would take 25-30 minutes on the old M1 system, the newest conversions are taking 10 minutes for a TWO HOUR project.

It’s interesting how many tendrils need to be upgraded for everything to work in harmony.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The other nice thing about Apple is my ability to trade-in my M1 iMac for a bit less than half what I paid 2 1/2 years ago.

I’ve been working with Small Dog in VT for the last 7-8 years, and they make things easy. For storage, I’ve been happy with the Video Guys. Very fair deals.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Latest upgrades were a couple of non-TBolt 4 cables, along with the newer TBolt 4 Caldigit. Where a data file converting speed on a one hour film would take 25-30 minutes on the old M1 system, the newest conversions are taking 10 minutes for a TWO HOUR project.

It’s interesting how many tendrils need to be upgraded for everything to work in harmony.
10 mins!
That’s insane speed you’re getting, and so true.
it’s pricey…but the speed results are there.

how all the components must be up to spec, and then bang…your data is moving at light speed.

that hard drive you have, the SAN disc blades
solid state drives.
and the new Mac
you can’t beat that.

phenomenal tech you're working with.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
10 mins!
That’s insane speed you’re getting, and so true.
it’s pricey…but the speed results are there.

how all the components must be up to spec, and then bang…your data is moving at light speed.

that hard drive you have, the SAN disc blades
solid state drives.
and the new Mac
you can’t beat that.

phenomenal tech you're working with.
More than powerful enough for my needs, and certainly (for me) a better decision than investing in the Pro.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
More than powerful enough for my needs, and certainly (for me) a better decision than investing in the Pro.
You’re running at top-of-the-line equipment and peripherals now with hyper-fast connections.

most people won't experience what you are Because of what you stated.
too much to update to get all devices cooperating at those speeds, but also many don't know how fast tech and transfer speeds have become with the right devices and cables.

this should future-proof you for a while. 👍👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks